Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Living with Autism, not just me, but bro too!

I'm one of the rarer females on the autism spectrum under high functioning autism. However my only sibling, my little brother is also autistic and not just that, he is non-verbal and on the bottom of the spectrum. Essentially a 28 year old with the mind of a non verbal 3 year old.

As a result, I can tell you a lot about autism from two sides of the spectrum. Honestly I don't even know where to begin with since there is so much I could talk about, so I'd be happy to have you guys post to ask me any questions and I'll be happy to answer them.
How have you managed your autism throughout your life? Also do you take care of your brother or is he under the care of others?
Katia Topic Starter

Easy question first being that I don't take care of my brother. My parents and respite do that, though I'll help a little by letting them know if he needs a bath or something. Growing up, my mother described us as her two only children since we lacked a sibling relationship and spent our time apart. Let me clarify by saying that I don't hate him or wish anything bad happens to him, but I don't love him either. It's hard to love someone that you don't have any good memories with after all. It's sad, but it's hard to form good memories with someone who is super loud, obsessive compulsive to the point he won't leave your bedroom door/lights alone, often stinks because he likes to poop in the tub while he's taking a bath. Yes he is potty trained, but still does that regardless and does occasionally have accidents. All in all, tough situation to grow up in and for even more reasons then the ones I listed.

As for how I have managed my autism, well I was diagnosed at age 8, but wasn't aware of it until I was 12-13. My dad didn't want me to use it as a crutch, but eventually told me anyway. So until then, I didn't know that I wasn't normal, I mean the signs were there, but I didn't recognize them of course. Though there were a few moments where I was so confused by not being able to get something, in this case; reading. I still distinctly remember trying again and again with my first grade teaching trying to say the word asleep and always saying asheep. I had a speech impediment back then you see. Eventually after countless tries, the teacher gave up and set me off to go practice by myself and I kept wondering why I couldn't say the word right?

Anyway eventually I got told and in time that made a lot of things add up. as for how I manage it now, I accept that because of it, there are somethings that I will never be good at. Social situations for one since my social skills still suck and anything that requires fine motor skills as mine also suck. You just have to accept that you are not atypical and just get on with it one day at a time. I can't drive due to struggles keeping the car from weaving and trouble keeping a steady foot on the gas. Not to mention my phobia behind the wheel. So instead I have services that pays for someone to chauffer me around within reason. Like going grocery shopping and prior to covid, the places I liked to volunteer at and occasionally to a restaurant.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Living with Autism, not just me, but bro too!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus