Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Adopted from a different country

Hello guys! I am a teenage girl who was adopted from Asia. I have dealt with racism, microaggressions, and other rude stereotypes. But I am generally glad to live in America. I was adopted at a young age and brought over. So, ask me anything!
I'm so sorry you've had to deal with that Redrose and coming from a mix-cultural background myself, I can relate to some of it.

What in your own words would tell others about yourself that has nothing with misconceptions people may have?
Claine Moderator

How much do you know about your birth parents, and have you ever gone back to visit your birth country (and if you haven't, would you)
Kim Site Admin

Are your parents non-Asian? Do they work to give you connections and knowledge about your culture of birth? If not, is that something you want?
Redrose Topic Starter

@Falyn . Haha, well there’s are defenitley a lot of misconceptions. Often times Asians are called the “Superior race”, because of how strict family life can be. The strict upbringing generally helps students achieve better grades. Asians are usually stereotyped as “geeks, nerds, or good at math and music.” I on the contrary and terrible at math. I don’t play violin or cello, and I honestly focus more on activities than achieving the best grades. I prefer to use my energy on creative classes like theater, and English.

Everyone is different though. No matter their race, gender, or sexuality. And it bothers me
When people make assumptions based on things a human can’t control.

@Claine. I actually don’t know anything about my birth parents. In China there was a rule that each family could only have one child. Often times parents would seek to have a boy. This was because they believed the boy would take of them and would carry on the family name. That being said, my parents gave me up for adoption and chose life. So given the chance I would certainly go back to my country and meet them!

@Kim . My parents are both Caucasians. And most of my friends are too! My parents and I celebrate Chinese New Year with a group and we talk about Chinese culture sometimes. It’s nothing excessive. But we don’t pretend my adoption doesn’t exist.

Also I appreciate y’all saying birth parents and your parents. I hate when people are like “so where are your real parents?” The family I live with are my parents. But I do care about my “birth” parents too.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Adopted from a different country

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus