Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Low Carb Living

I've been living a very low carb lifestyle for over a year now, and am willing to answer any questions you may have about a low carb diet.

A low carb diet restricts refined carbohydrates to a certain limit, typically from 20 grams (ketogenic/very low carb) to 150 grams (liberal low carb). More fat is usually consumed to compensate for the energy that carbs provide, and also helps a person feel fuller for longer. More protein is also consumed to help maintain muscle.

I am not a doctor or physician, and I cannot answer questions about whether a low carb diet is right for you. Talk to your doctor or nutritionist before making any dietary lifestyle changes or adjustments.

My first book topic for living with Asperger's Syndrome/Autism is located here, if you're interested.
I tried this years ago and stuck with it really well for about 6 months. Lost some weight and felt pretty good. But then fell off the wagon and found it extremely difficult to get back on. (I never really did manage for any significant period of time)

Do you ever allow yourself to 'cheat', particularly during social gatherings?
Do you have any brands of foods you like that are low carb, or do you prefer to cook for yourself? :)
Lucretire Topic Starter

Juls wrote:
I tried this years ago and stuck with it really well for about 6 months. Lost some weight and felt pretty good. But then fell off the wagon and found it extremely difficult to get back on. (I never really did manage for any significant period of time)

Do you ever allow yourself to 'cheat', particularly during social gatherings?

I've never really felt the need to cheat that much, so I can't quite answer this question. But when I have cravings, I make a low carb variant of whatever I'm wanting, or wait for it to pass since I'm not as hungry as I used to be.
Lucretire Topic Starter

Shinyrainbowlithogra wrote:
Do you have any brands of foods you like that are low carb, or do you prefer to cook for yourself? :)

Cooking for myself is what I've ended up doing nowadays. But when I first started, the Quest brand was a lifesaver (especially their protein chips; the tortilla style ranch chips were really good), as well as Slim Fast's Chocolate Peanut Butter Fat Bombs.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Low Carb Living

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus