Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Living with Asperger's/Autism

I've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome since I was in my teenage years, though it's now recognized as another form of high functioning autism. Asperger's is a developmental disorder that affects my ability to socialize and communicate properly with other people, as well as affect my thought patterns in different ways.

Please, ask me anything, and I'll answer it to the best of my ability. I also have a second book topic on low carb living here.
Sanne Moderator

What's been the most surprising thing you learned about yourself since your diagnosis?
Lucretire Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:
What's been the most surprising thing you learned about yourself since your diagnosis?

That I can be a very, very blunt person. I can't tell when my honest opinions come off as rude to others, so when a friend told me that I can be very harsh when giving feedback, I was actually taken aback. I thought I was just being open with what I was thinking. I've since grown to accept that about myself, though.
Is it hard for you to disclose to people that you've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome/Autism or are you generally open about this?
Lucretire Topic Starter

MissPixie wrote:
Is it hard for you to disclose to people that you've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome/Autism or are you generally open about this?

I used to be far more open about my Asperger's until a while ago, when I realized I was oversharing too much with others. Nowadays I don't mention it unless I fully trust a person, or they ask out of genuine curiosity.
Do you stem? I'm a aspie too and I have a hard time keeping my hands still.
Do you have any methods of tempering your bluntness in conversations? I haven't known anybody who has it personally but I still like learning about this sort of stuff from people with firsthand experience.
Lucretire Topic Starter

Katia wrote:
Do you stem? I'm a aspie too and I have a hard time keeping my hands still.

I do stem: I make this weird "scoffing" exhale at the end of my sentences when I talk most times; it happens a lot more whenever I get excited or deep into a conversation. At first I didn't notice until someone asked me why I kept making that sound when I talk. But I've grown a bit more aware of it nowadays.
Lucretire Topic Starter

SolarLoki wrote:
Do you have any methods of tempering your bluntness in conversations? I haven't known anybody who has it personally but I still like learning about this sort of stuff from people with firsthand experience.

Hmm... There's not a method, really: I just try to remember that most people don't care what my opinion is unless they ask for it, and will take offense if I give it unprompted. That's helped curb my bluntness by a lot.
Cass Moderator

What resources / support have been most helpful to you with this diagnosis and why? :)
Lucretire Topic Starter

Cass wrote:
What resources / support have been most helpful to you with this diagnosis and why? :)

Therapy. Lots and lots of therapy with a skilled therapist has helped immensely with understanding my diagnosis and working through it. Making attempts to talk to others is another way I try to cope. I may lack in social skills, but that doesn't mean I can't socialize. It just takes longer for me to understand basic social cues and body language.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Living with Asperger's/Autism

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus