Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Starting Youtube video at a specific time

For starters, thanks for whoever can help me with this.
I'm trying to add some videos (resized) to my character sheets just to make viewers able to hear his voices (he has multiple, depending on some specific circumstances), and I didn't find any problems adding those video to my text, not even when it came time to resize them.

I am having problems making them start at a specific time (since two of them are coming from trailers with many other voices): I tried multiple changes in the code to do that, but I'm unable to solve the situation. Does such a function exist in BBCode, and did I miss a tutorial on how to do it, or it's simply not possible?
Lord_Cegorach wrote:
For starters, thanks for whoever can help me with this.
I'm trying to add some videos (resized) to my character sheets just to make viewers able to hear his voices (he has multiple, depending on some specific circumstances), and I didn't find any problems adding those video to my text, not even when it came time to resize them.

I am having problems making them start at a specific time (since two of them are coming from trailers with many other voices): I tried multiple changes in the code to do that, but I'm unable to solve the situation. Does such a function exist in BBCode, and did I miss a tutorial on how to do it, or it's simply not possible?

Well it doesn't seem to work, unfortunately. you can redirect to the video at certain point though, since [youtube] doesn't make it work
Lord_Cegorach Topic Starter

RimCaster wrote:
Lord_Cegorach wrote:
For starters, thanks for whoever can help me with this.
I'm trying to add some videos (resized) to my character sheets just to make viewers able to hear his voices (he has multiple, depending on some specific circumstances), and I didn't find any problems adding those video to my text, not even when it came time to resize them.

I am having problems making them start at a specific time (since two of them are coming from trailers with many other voices): I tried multiple changes in the code to do that, but I'm unable to solve the situation. Does such a function exist in BBCode, and did I miss a tutorial on how to do it, or it's simply not possible?

Well it doesn't seem to work, unfortunately. you can redirect to the video at certain point though, since [youtube] doesn't make it work

You mean adding a hyperlink so they open the youtube page at the specific time I want for me to hear the voice?
Yeah, that would the only other alternative I could think of. Thanks.
Yeah that
Yeah, the way to start a video at a specific point in managed through the URL, not through the BBCode. :)

When on YouTube, you'll need to grab the "Share" URL for it to display properly anyway. While doing that, at the bottom of the pop-up, under the URL box, you should see a little checkbox beside "Start at" and a time. By default, it'll suggest the time the video was at when you clicked "Share," but it can be edited. Click the checkbox, and at the end of the URL, a "?t=" followed by a number will appear. That number is how many seconds in the video will start. For example, "?t=4" would be 4 seconds, "?t=30" would be 30 seconds, "?t=60" would be 60 seconds (1 minute), and so on.

A mostly unrelated aside: BBCode isn't standardized the way other computer languages are. There are common "libraries" that get used a lot, but different sites will also have custom codes they've added or set up to work differently than on other sites. So asking if something exists in BBCode... isn't a very useful question. ^^;
Lord_Cegorach Topic Starter

Zelphyr wrote:
Yeah, the way to start a video at a specific point in managed through the URL, not through the BBCode. :)

When on YouTube, you'll need to grab the "Share" URL for it to display properly anyway. While doing that, at the bottom of the pop-up, you should see a little checkbox beside "Start at" and a time under the URL box. By default, it'll suggest the time the video was when you clicked "Share," but it can be edited. Click the checkbox, and at the end of the URL, a "?t=" followed by a number will appear. That number is how many seconds in the video will start. For example, "?t=4" would be 4 seconds, "?t=30" would be 30 seconds, "?t=60" would be 60 seconds (1 minute), and so on.

A mostly unrelated aside: BBCode isn't standardized the way other computer languages are. There are common "libraries" that get used a lot, but different sites will also have custom codes they've added or set up to work differently than on other sites. So asking if something exists in BBCode... isn't a very useful question. ^^;

I asked if it was connected to BBCode because the method you explained was the first thing I tried (XP); however, no matter how I play with the URL code, the video will show up and always start at the very beginning. It's not an issue correlated to the fact that I can't place it in the profile, it's only that, with BBCode, the share option from Google doesn't seem to work (while it works, for instance, with HTML). I wasn't aware of the existence of customizable libraries, which perhaps explains why I posted this XD.

But then again, as we say "If the mountain does not go to Maometto, Maometto goes to the mountain", so... I may have a solution for this, perhaps adding even a more epic way to do just this thing. In the past, I made, once, a gif image with a play button who would allow starting a musical track that was connected to the image itself. I just need to search the old tutorial once again.
Edit: It's not possible anymore since it was coded on an extension with Flash, and we know what happened to that little fella at the end of the past year (F). Well, I still solved the problem... just cropped the audio, slapped on a pic to make an Mp4, and the uploaded directly on Youtube. Take this, Murphy's law :P.
It's not working? Hrm.

I know that awhile back, I didn't realize that it's picky about which URL gets used. If I try to use the one that naturally appears in my browser's address bar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[...]) instead of the Share URL (https://youtu.be/[...]), then it won't display right in at least some browsers.

I know that different browsers sometimes have some different quirks, especially older versions, so it might be good to double-check that your browser's up to date. I've also noticed that there can be some quirkiness depending on where the video is supposed to be displayed, but the last I checked, it was working fine for me in desktop Chrome, mobile Chrome, and desktop Firefox. (Don't recall if I checked Microsoft's new-ish "Edge" browser.)

If you're sure you've got the URL right, entered the BBCode right, and everything's up to date, then you should send a bug report. Would probably good to include stuff like the browser(s) and system(s) you're using, and generally approach with the goal of providing too much detail.
I'm just adding my two cents here, but he's right, that doesn't work. The share link brings the video to the same Youtube URL. I was trying to use a video of Catwoman to explain 3 vocal styles for a character I use, and it doesn't delineate the time in the BBCode regardless of if it's the share timestamp option or the regular option.
Youtube bb-coding here doesn’t like any extensions of the youtube url. Having the ‘t=‘ or if there is a playlist extension or such, it won’t work. I find only a direct URL to the video works. The sizing is done with the bb code so that works fine. The browsers I’ve used are Edge, Chrome, and Safari if I’m on my phone.

You are on: Forums » Help » Starting Youtube video at a specific time

Moderators: MadRatBird, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Dragonfire, Heimdall, Ben, Darth_Angelus