Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Controversial opinion.

.... So what exactly is your point in arguing? No one is saying more is less, except for maybe you, or less is less, except when people are illiterate enough that they describe exactly nothing. If your whole point is that people should write more in a smaller amount, then why are all your posts some of the largest in this thread?
Shinyrainbowlithogra wrote:
.... So what exactly is your point in arguing? No one is saying more is less, except for maybe you, or less is less, except when people are illiterate enough that they describe exactly nothing. If your whole point is that people should write more in a smaller amount, then why are all your posts some of the largest in this thread?

I think the point isn't about the value of how much or little is written, specifically, but rather that the terms "literate" and "illiterate" should not be used to describe it.
'Literate-The ability to read and write. Having or showing knowledge of literature, writing, etc.; literary; well-read. characterized by skill, lucidity, polish, or the like.'

'Literacy can be thought of in many contexts; there are multiple literacies. Literacy is a social construction, and being literate means having the ability to produce, interpret, and understand language appropriately for these different social contexts.'

https://medium.com/literate-schools/what-does-it-mean-to-be-literate-bcd2e4c1227c

It has never been associated with the quantity of the writing.
Mabila the Mad Poet (played anonymously) Topic Starter

My point is exactly what WinterBlackDraoi and Zelphyr are saying.
Ah, I see. I didn't pick that up from your posts at all because there was too much about the amount and quality that you were talking about.

Thanks!

Edit: I reread your first post and it makes more sense looking at it in that light. Also I think I was just grumpy earlier from not having my coffee/tea. So, sorry if I came off as mean or whatever! :)
I do still think it's a little hard to tell what you're saying in some posts, though.
Luscinioide

At the end of the day, no one is satisfied with any descriptor for a writer's roleplaying style. Literate is too offensive because it implies those of a different style are illiterate, short-para is too vague as a paragraph could be a single sentence, and a word count is too strict because not every post is going to reach that mark. There's really not that many options.

Realistically, why not just let people describe themselves as they please? It's not harming anyone, and if you find it distasteful, you by no means must write with that person. This is an overdone, senseless argument that exists for the sole purpose of beating up a dead horse that's a wet pulp by this point. And, well, stirring up a small riot on the forums. Because a lot of folks get heated over these things.

Tune in tomorrow for the next controversial opinion that no one else has ever had: school roleplays are overdone and ghosting is baaaad~!

It's not that at all.

It's about people using the words "literate" and "literate" incorrectly.

This has nothing to do with someone's preferences or styles, it's about being factually wrong.
Luscinioide

But that's where the problem comes from, I guarantee. You've likely seen someone using the term literate in their descriptions of their preferences or requirements, and you didn't agree with that usage.

And the dictionary definition isn't always the only way a word can be used; interpretation is a mighty tool. In this case, it's a matter of this particular way of using "literate" being utilized over many years in the RP scene to the point where people understand what you mean. In a literal sense, is it the wrong usage? Sure. But that's the same thing as telling people they're factually wrong for saying "ain't."

You're right in technicality, but is that really a hill worth dying on?

It is absolutely a hill worth dying on.

That horse still isn't dead enough, no matter how much liquefaction has taken place already.
Luscinioide

But can you provide any new arguments to the table, or are we just repeating history?

Oh I don't think it's about bringing anything new to the table.

Actually I'm not here to argue at all.

I'm just saying that literacy doesn't equal post length.
I thought you were saying that literacy isn't associated with the quality of the writing. That's what WBDraoi said and you agreed with him...

I'm not sure you know what point you're making. Oops.
Rogue-Scribe

Mabila the Mad Poet wrote:
Oh I don't think it's about bringing anything new to the table.

Actually I'm not here to argue at all.

I'm just saying that literacy doesn't equal post length.
Finally ... :D
Shinyrainbowlithogra wrote:
I thought you were saying that literacy isn't associated with the quality of the writing. That's what WBDraoi said and you agreed with him...

I'm not sure you know what point you're making. Oops.

Well said Shiny! :D
Mabila the Mad Poet wrote:
If you re-read his post it says.
(And by the way I'm copy pasting this)

"It has never been associated with the quantity of the writing."

He's not saying it has nothing to do with quality, he said quantity.
Seems you misread what he wrote. Go ahead and reread it a few more times.
... and it appears you haven’t read the rest of what was posted. Let’s take the one line you do quote... it basically says your opinion is not controversial at all (no matter how much you wish it was)

If you re-read his post it says.
(And by the way I'm copy pasting this)

"It has never been associated with the quantity of the writing."

He's not saying it has nothing to do with quality, he said quantity.
Seems you misread what he wrote. Go ahead and reread it a few more times.
Ben Moderator

The core of this seems to be that you don't particularly like it when people use the word "literacy" when they mean "post length preferences."

This is a legitimate opinion to hold. However, this thread has meandered away from that point and is simply becoming argumentative and circular. Locking this to prevent it from continuing to spiral in that direction.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Controversial opinion.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus