Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Death Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Kim Site Admin

This topic is for discussing clues and potential answers to the Death Symbol in Epic Week 2021. Please stay on topic. Remember, these riddles are designed to be challenging and require a group of people brainstorming together; don't feel intimidated if you don't know the answer right away. Every little idea can help. Research is not cheating; it is expected!

Click here to visit the location of the Death Symbol
Ilmarinen Moderator

This one I'm pretty stumped on. No idea what the franchise could be. Sometimes riddles are also from history or science or other nerdy domains, too. Any ideas, relating to "death" and a heart symbol?
Dragonfire Moderator

As a wild guess involving Death and hearts and winter and symbology, the book Hogfather springs to mind.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Redbeard just finished that one! I'll ask him in the morning if these clues have any meaning to him!
Dragonfire Moderator

It's a good one! Hopefully the third clue will shed some more light on this solstice. ;)
Scorpion, grows cold (Sub-Zero) is this Mortal Kombat?
It may just be wishful thinking, but the color red is pretty important in The House of the Scorpion. :,) heh. Uhhh. And the cold does technically grow at night. But that's probably not what this is, it feels more like a video game reference.

Is there anything about red/love/colors in Mortal Kombat? :)
Ilmarinen Moderator

Redbeard says that this doesn't sound very Hogfather-y!
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Third clue unlocked, thanks Laineie!
Tar

I believe what we're looking for here is the short story "Love Is the Plan the Plan Is Death": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Is_the_Plan_the_Plan_Is_Death

It can be read here, the first two clues are quotes from the story (which is about vaguely scorpionish arachnid creatures):

https://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/love-is-the-plan-the-plan-is-death/

I was throwing ideas at the seal before the monsters came back, but with the final clue I'd guess that the name of love is either death, the plan, or perhaps his mate Lilliloo (though I think I tried that one).
Ilmarinen Moderator

Tar to the rescue!!!

giphy.gif

Congrats on solving this symbol! The answer was "Lilliloo".

For those of you wondering how this answer could be arrived at, here's a quick explanation. :)

"Love Is the Plan the Plan Is Death" is a short story by James Tiptree, Jr., a pen name used by American writer Alice Sheldon. The novella won a Nebula Award for Best Short Story in 1973. It first appeared in the anthology The Alien Condition.

Moggadeet is a spider-like creature who has decided that, since he is intelligent, he will resist the instincts which lead his species through an exceptionally violent life-cycle which they call "the Plan" — including a drop in intelligence during winter.

Clue #1 relates to the phrase "Great is the plan!", often uttered by the arachnid aliens, regarding how satisfying it feels to allow one's instincts to take over. This is a fairly iconic part of the short story. It also refers to the fact that the winters are growing longer; a central plot point, as the colder weather takes away these creature's ability to reason.

Clue #2 is another iconic phrase from the story. The Plan is guided heavily by color; when the females are ready to find a mate, they turn bright red.

Clue #3 Moggadeet's mate, who conspires to resist The Plan with him, is named Lilliloo.

On a personal note: This is a seriously cool, if disturbing, story of an absolutely alien race. You can read it online for free here! https://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/love-is-the-plan-the-plan-is-death/
Ilmarinen Moderator

I'm reading it now! It has an awesome voice.
Dragonfire Moderator

Ohhh, Tiptree! I should’ve remembered that one.

I may have had an ulterior motive to spread awareness of this masterpiece of alien struggles. I strongly endorse reading it!
I think I read this one before. At least the first half? Yikes.
Thanks for bringing it back to my attention! And great solve, Tar!

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Death Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus