Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Egg Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Kim Site Admin

This topic is for discussing clues and potential answers to the Egg Symbol in Epic Week 2021. Please stay on topic. Remember, these riddles are designed to be challenging and require a group of people brainstorming together; don't feel intimidated if you don't know the answer right away. Every little idea can help. Research is not cheating; it is expected!

Click here to visit the location of the Egg Symbol
World egg creation myth? Again, where's Pooka's big brain when you need it. I am blindly trusting google/Wikipedia:
Quote:
In the Kalevala, the Finnish national epic, there is a myth of the world being created from the fragments of an egg laid by a goldeneye on the knee of Ilmatar, goddess of the air
This also features a composite character named Lemminkäinen who while in Tuonela, the underworld in Finnish mythology, drowns in the river Tuoni while trying to hunt a black swan. Someone else narrow it down.
Ah, I put off reading the Kalevala. I'll ask one of my friends of he can help solve it tomorrow. :P
Quote:
Louhi gives Lemminkäinen three tasks he must complete to woo her daughter. While trying to complete the third task, killing the swan of Tuonela, Lemminkäinen is cut into pieces by a water snake and thrown into a whirlpool in the river of Tuonela.
Dragonfire Moderator

sland wrote:
Quote:
Louhi gives Lemminkäinen three tasks he must complete to woo her daughter. While trying to complete the third task, killing the swan of Tuonela, Lemminkäinen is cut into pieces by a water snake and thrown into a whirlpool in the river of Tuonela.

Probably the answer we're looking for is the swan of Tuonela, then!
We need a name or something?
The problem also says the place in which it resides, or whatever, so it's probably just Tuonela, right? It's the underworld, apparently. :)

Edit: The swan, according to Wikipedia, guards the River of Tuoni, and there's also an Island of Tuoni, so it's sort of unclear just from reading the page which part the swan is actually on/in. :) :)
I thought it was the river cause the river leads to the afterlife.
Well, true, but in this specifically it's the Swan of Tuonela, right? So I don't really know. :,) It could be either or neither!
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Congrats on solving this symbol! The answer was "Swan of Tuonela".

For those of you wondering how this answer could be arrived at, here's a quick explanation. :)
Heimdall, designer of this riddle wrote:
"First one indicates that it's Finnish mythology as seen in the Kalevala. (a duck lays eggs on a woman's knee, they fall off and crack and create the world.) Second clue indicates the character. (Lemminkainen, who does a series of tasks in order to court someone's daughter before being killed in the river of the dead.) Third clue references those tasks. If someone reads the Wikipedia page for the Kalevala, they'll be able to find it out pretty quickly--and I'm hoping that between these clues, even if no one has heard of the Kalevala before, they'd be able to find it.

I LOVE the kalevala. It is so weird and melodic, and there is lots of repetition like I did in the clues. Unfortunately, like the Norse Eddas, it was assembled in a post-christian world, so who knows what nuance was lost from the original stuff."
Dragonfire Moderator

Nicely done, everyone! :D
Ilmarinen Moderator

Great job, everyone!!
I think my favorite take-away is that the hero goes through countless near-death trials but his breaking point is getting scolded by a baby. Now to bottle that for a roleplay...
Ilmarinen Moderator

sland wrote:
I think my favorite take-away is that the hero goes through countless near-death trials but his breaking point is getting scolded by a baby. Now to bottle that for a roleplay...

And ragequit the world. XD

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Egg Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus