Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Calender for Group/Player Events & Birthdays

Sanne Moderator

The Birthday topic made me realize how.. messy things can get! It takes a lot of effort to keep track of birthdays of players, but also group events or player events can't be found anywhere unless you track topics.

Can we have a Calendar where groups and players can submit a request for an event (a moderator or another volunteer can check and approve events every 48 hours or so to prevent spam and improper events) and where players' birthdays are listed more conveniently if they decide to display it?

If the calendar is easily accessible or it shows up on the front page every now and then, people will get more attention for their events and birthdays than they do now.

I realize it may be a lot of work and a bit more complex than it sounds here, but it would have a great impact on groups and the whole RPR community in general in a positive manner :)
Kim Site Admin

Groups are already slated to get their own individual calendars, and once that's been worked out I'd totally planned to repurpose the system for the site at large. :) The nitty gritty of what actually got put on it would have to be looked at carefully, but special events would definitely have their place.

Player birthdays might or might not appear, given that there's more than 2000 of us here, and even not counting the people who've asked for their birthdays not to be displayed, that can be a lot of clutter on a calendar! We may have to limit the way it shows birthdays to keep it from being flooded over.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

And birthdays of your friends already show up at the top of your notifications, when the day comes :)
Kim Site Admin

darth_angelus wrote:
And birthdays of your friends already show up at the top of your notifications, when the day comes :)

Yeeesss, but that doesn't really help if you don't log in that day, or you need to plan ahead to get a gift.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Good point :P
Perhaps you could set it up so it only shows the birthdays of those who wish their birthdays be shown? That would lessen the clutter as I'm pretty sure not everyone wants the whole site to know when their birthday is.
Kim Site Admin

Lance2011 wrote:
Perhaps you could set it up so it only shows the birthdays of those who wish their birthdays be shown? That would lessen the clutter as I'm pretty sure not everyone wants the whole site to know when their birthday is.

Yes, of course. It was never ever the plan to violate our privacy agreement.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

There might still be a lot of clutter if a large number of people are happy to share their birthday.
Kim Site Admin

Yeah, that's what I was saying when I said "and even not counting the people who've asked for their birthdays not to be displayed, that can be a lot of clutter on a calendar!"

If the calendar went live today, that would still be 943 people that as of this very moment are sharing their birthday, which works out to about 3.5 birthdays per day. And that number is only going to rise as more people join the site.
What privacy agreement? I have nothing to hide!heh. J/k. I know about the privacy agreement. I just didn't think about it when I posted that. 4:30 am...brain half asleep. You know how that goes.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

What if you were to have an option or a button somewhere on the calender that lets you switch between "no birthdays", "friend's birthdays" and "all birthdays" (the latter of course only being those who want to share it).
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

darth_angelus wrote:
What if you were to have an option or a button somewhere on the calender that lets you switch between "no birthdays", "friend's birthdays" and "all birthdays" (the latter of course only being those who want to share it).

I was going to suggest that too! Filters would be awesome for group events as well.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

You know what they say about great minds ;)
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

darth_angelus wrote:
You know what they say about great minds ;)

They make great pastas?
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Exactly! :D

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Calender for Group/Player Events & Birthdays

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus