Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » New Site Themes for Epic Members (NOT PLANNED)

Hii! I just got this idea now, and wanna post it before I forget haha. Perhaps, like character styles, there can be 'premium' site wide styles for Epic Members?? Or perhaps a rare/limited item or event that can implement it? They dont have to be complex, but I think it could be fun, and might be a slightly better incentive than character styles :P

I do, however, understand that this may cause maintenance problems and/or be more complicated to implement than Im thinking, in which case, dismiss this idea completely lol, I dont wanna cause any stress on the team!

Another idea, that also just came to me as Im writing, is maybe exclusive events for Epic Members, exclusive emoticons, etc. Any one of these are interesting to consider, especially the exclusive events, as the current dice roll events, for example, really only have merch, pages, and more epic memberships, which may get boring for people who already have Epic and/or are buying it with their own money.

This being said, I don't have Epic, and I also dunno the numbers and opinions of people with Epic. So, I cant say for sure if these are good ideas or not. Take all of this with a grain of salt ;)
What do you mean by "premium site wide styles?" Different visual effects that would be applied to all general/public site areas, much as the dark mode and other designs that have been developed to assist with certain vision difficulties? For that, the more options there are, the more trouble we'll all run into with posts featuring text or images that vanish into the background or become extra difficult to see with some settings than with others. Having options with that seems best kept to improving accessibility - which should absolutely never be put behind a paywall. Even just the few we do have took great deal of time and effort to develop to serve their purposes. Any that might start altering the apparent structure to suit some more creative choices could additionally end up getting in the way of folks helping each other out with finding certain things on a page; what looks like a "button" can be changed, what is visibly a "link" can be changed, where certain items appear in relation to each other can be changed to a degree, etc. Obviously my fellow "Epic" members may feel differently about whether or not they'd like such a thing, but I'm also answering as someone with a web design degree. >.>

(The "team" doing all the sitebuilding and stuff, btw, is just Kim. The mods help manage the community in terms of making sure folks are playing by the rules and such, there are limit items like some artwork that get contracted out, and the whole community is able to help out by offering feedback like this and sending in bug reports so less hunting things down is needed, but all new features, maintenance, design of public sections, etc, is done by Kim. To be fair, she is ridiculously amazing and I have great difficulty fathoming how incredibly productive she is.)

I'm not sure what use exclusive emoticons would be, or how exclusive emoticons would even be achieved since anyone can post any image they can get a clean URL for (there's images people shouldn't post and can get in trouble for, of course, but they still have the actual ability). Some of the ones I've seen in use aren't even supported by RPR itself. If you're thinking about the discord, that's actually an unofficial, member-run server.

As for Epic-exclusive events... I don't know how others may feel, but with acknowledgment that exceptions may exist, I'm personally against it. As it is, I already wish more could be given to the broader member base without furthering financial troubles for the site. Exclusive events also seems like something that could really increase the feeling of it being somehow "the cool kids club" or something, which makes me really uncomfortable (especially since I get most of my epicness free through events, so I don't even have any sense of having at least contributed something to earn it). Actually, even writing this post made me a little uncomfortable at times, specifically around thinking of myself as an "Epic member." Nah, I'm not epic, I just get to enjoy having something that makes my experience of this site a bit more epic.

I still think it's pretty cool folks are still trying to think of more ways to help the site out, like offering ideas to make a paid membership more tempting. :)
Jejune Topic Starter

Alright, I appreciate the feedback ^^
Zelphyr wrote:
(The "team" doing all the sitebuilding and stuff, btw, is just Kim. The mods help manage the community in terms of making sure folks are playing by the rules and such, there are limit items like some artwork that get contracted out, and the whole community is able to help out by offering feedback like this and sending in bug reports so less hunting things down is needed, but all new features, maintenance, design of public sections, etc, is done by Kim. To be fair, she is ridiculously amazing and I have great difficulty fathoming how incredibly productive she is.) :)

Yes indeed! As do I! We need to have an appreciation-party for Kim!
Her birthday is coming up…. :D

As far as ‘premium site wide styles’ for Epicness, I found I could play with my profile style and there were a lot of ‘epic only’ character styles available and a character style design function for making ones own.
Kim Site Admin

I think this is PROBABLY about main site styles, not character styles, but JUST IN CASE....

A month late, I present: A guide to making almost any official character style into a special widescreen version. :)

While choosing a character style for a given character, find the "create custom looks" banner in the sidebar

widescreentutorial1.png

Choose "Create New Style"

widescreentutorial2.png

Choose "easy"

widescreentutorial3.png

Pick an existing style. I chose "Vibe-rant (Marbled)"

Change the Standard Site Width to whatever number of pixels means widescreen to you. I'm bumping from 1200px to 1800px

widescreentutorial4.png

Save!

If you are an epic member, you can now apply this modded style to any of your characters, and enjoy your new widescreen creation. :)

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » New Site Themes for Epic Members (NOT PLANNED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus