Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Mercenary for Hire

Kino Onstone (played by Theyakate) Topic Starter

"Morning to you to Slaps."He went to take a seat and went to grab the tarts, eggs, bacon and cinnamon apple. He started eating one at a time.
"You sure know how to order a full course breakfast and it does sooth my hangover with this fine meal."

On his coffee mugm he pour liquor on it from his silver flask case and then drink it which he does often.
Kino Onstone wrote:
"Morning to you to Slaps."He went to take a seat and went to grab the tarts, eggs, bacon and cinnamon apple. He started eating one at a time.
"You sure know how to order a full course breakfast and it does sooth my hangover with this fine meal."

On his coffee mugm he pour liquor on it from his silver flask case and then drink it which he does often.

"Indeed," Slappy replied. "It is what we halflings do best! Besides, we have a long journey ahead of us and once we leave, it will be several days before we find another town or tavern. We should live the high life while we are able. If you have not, I would stock up on supplies at the general store before we head out. Make sure to have plenty of food, water, and arrows if you use a bow. It will be up to you to hunt game for dinner so we aren't stuck eating flavorless rations. I do prefer fresh meat!"

Kino noded " Well I do need some arrow heads and some axe polisher and a one bag of carrots."He finish his meal.
"Thanks for the meal, and I might gonna do a little shopping and this wont take a long minute if you excuse me."

He left the tavern and went on shopping for supplies and 10 minutes pass he came back with the supplies which it was about 3 bags of it.
As they finished up their meal, Slappy nodded. He carefully gathered and bundled the leftovers. It would be quite a while before they would get another home-cooked meal. "I'll wait for you with my postal wagon in front of the tavern," the halfling says. "We'll depart after you return. I may have a few errands of my own. If you get done before me, just wait and I'll be here as soon as I am ready.

Slappy set off to get a few last-minute items and ready the oxen and wagon. He didn't see Big Red or any of the others from the night before. Perhaps, they had made other arrangements and decided to leave before dark. If any of them should show up before they were ready to depart, they were more than welcome to travel with him. However, the hobbit had no plans to wait around.

A little while later, a plain, square, non-descript wagon is sitting in front of the tavern. There are no windows. A single, locked, hinged door is on the rear. The front has a bench mounted up top for the driver. It is designed to be pulled by two animals. The wheels are wooden and solid without spokes.

Slappy waits for Kino to return and keeps an eye out for anyone else that might join them.

Kino look around "Guess its only the two of us. Well better call my ride."

Kino whistled as the ground began to shake and it began to shake even more as it get closer. There in front of him is his steed which is a great Mustang Horse with many scars. The name of the horse is Jecth which his skin hair is black like obsidian and long black mane. Kino gently stroke his chin as he gave 10 amounts of carrots for him to eat.
Jackson Rampart (played by TemtoeZ)

Walking out of the forest, Jackson had a bit more gear on him then he did when they originally met and a sort of steam rifle on his back. He saw the two men in the brisk morning air and sped up wondering where the woman and Big Red were. Arriving to them the halfling was preparing his wagon and Kino feeding his horse, he quickly looked around for the others. "Well I guess it's just us, mind if I tag along?" He said as he pulled out a meat stick to chew on while waiting for departure.
"That is a magnificent mount you have there," Slappy commented from the driver's bench of his wagon. "That's amazing that you have him trained and didn't have to stable him. Well, let's be off."

Just then, Jackson arrived.
Jackson Rampart wrote:
Walking out of the forest, Jackson had a bit more gear on him then he did when they originally met and a sort of steam rifle on his back. He saw the two men in the brisk morning air and sped up wondering where the woman and Big Red were. Arriving to them the halfling was preparing his wagon and Kino feeding his horse, he quickly looked around for the others. "Well I guess it's just us, mind if I tag along?" He said as he pulled out a meat stick to chew on while waiting for departure.

Slappy was about to tell the man he was welcome to accompany them when another open wagon covered by a tarp came around the corner driven by Big Red. "Sorry I'm late," The merchant said stroking his beard. "It looks like I made it just in time! I am ready to leave when you are, halfling! Lead on!"

Big Red turns to Jackson, noting he had no mount. "You can ride on the wagon I guess."

OOC: If Cleo still wants to play, we can say she is riding on Big Red's wagon. If not, we'll assume she had a change of heart and was a no-show. I would recommend that if anyone else wants to join us at a later point in the game that they be a traveler with their own wagon or mount heading in the same direction and join the caravan since it is safer to travel in a group than alone.

"Thanks Slaps, he was been my partner since the great war 5 years ago"Then he look at the lad with the googles and was quite happy to see him coming along this journey.

"Well keep on guard and watchful eyes." he went up on the saddle of JEcht and starts moving on behind the wagon. Then it begins the departure that will lead by the Halfling Slappy and what more to come on their journey.

OCC: That would be a good part for her to enter. ALso its a good time to play the baddies that is either a bandit or a monster,
"Indeed," Slappy replies. "Let's be..."

"Not so fast, peck," A voice says. Several rough-looking men in light armor are approaching the wagons.

"Um... oh dear," The halfling says nervously looking at Kino.

"You weren't about to leave town were ya, hobbit?"

"Who, um, me? Don't be silly! Why ever would you get that idea?"

"Your wagon is all loaded up and it looked like you were about to skip out on us," the leader says. Several men begin to circle the wagon.

He looks to Big Red, Kino and the rest. "This ain't your concern. I recommend you folks go about your business and get on your way." The lead human turns back to Slappy. "The Toad wants a word with you, halfling. Dismount and come down here, now! You are coming with us!"

Slappy looks at Kino and back at the men.

OOC: They are spread out enough that if you choose to attack, it is not possible for anyone to take out more than about 2 in a single round. There are about 8 thugs, all of whom are surrounding the halfing's wagon. They take no interest in Big Red or any of the others.

Kino dont know whats really goin on with Slappy's situation, so He went down from his horse and left his axe on the left side of the saddle that he came unarmed.

"Listen I don't know what kinda mess he has, but if you hurt my client, You'll have to answer to me. " He crack his knuckles.

"I'll give you 5 seconds to leave us alone or not...better call a physician."
"My wagon? Oh yes," Slappy says, obviously a bit uncomfortably. "Well, er you see... yes it is loaded up! I'm off to make a few deliveries, but I shall return. Delivery is my business you, know..."

The leader turns to Kino. "Your client? So you are his bodyguard," he asks with a bit of a laugh. "Well, I hope he paid you in full upfront..."

He turns back to Slappy. "How is it you can afford a bodyguard, but you can't pay The Toad?"

"Well, er," Slappy stumbles again looking at Kino. "You see, I am going to pay The Toad. I need to make this next round of deliveries. Let him know that as soon as that is done, I will make an appointment to see him at his earliest convenience. Perhaps we can plan for dinner? We'll get everything squared away at that time..."

The group of men moved closer to the wagon, tightening their circle. Big Red looks around nervously.

"Uh, as you mentioned, this business doesn't concern me," the red-bearded merchant says nervously. "I'll be moving along if you don't mind. Er, good luck, hobbit!"

The thug nods and Big Red (and presumably any players we don't hear back from) leave and head off down the road.

"Looks like you've been abandoned, peck," The leader sneers.

The halfling visibly gulps.

Kino heard that Leader of the thug and he was a little curious about this Toad guy. But he doesn't focus on that first since he needs to take care of this situation you are in. Two things he will gonna do...either he pull the first punch or provoke them.

So he decided to provoke them " Tell me are you Toad's lackeys are strong enough? Or you guys are just a bunch of chicken chasers?" Hoping that some of them are taking the provoking bait.

"I bet a blind man can whip your buttocks on the ground"
Jackson Rampart (played by TemtoeZ)

waltzing up behind the leader of the gang, clearly disgusted at the fact Big red would turn tail and run at the first sign of danger. He noses the leader in the back of the head with his rifle "People like you honestly make my skin crawl, preying upon those just trying to make a honest living, Now I suggest you back down and get moving before this tavern gets a new paint job" He said as he stuck the barrel further into the gang leaders head.
Kino heard that Leader of the thug and he was a little curious about this Toad guy. But he doesn't focus on that first since he needs to take care of this situation you are in. Two things he will gonna do...either he pull the first punch or provoke them.

So he decided to provoke them " Tell me are you Toad's lackeys are strong enough? Or you guys are just a bunch of chicken chasers?" Hoping that some of them are taking the provoking bait.

"I bet a blind man can whip your buttocks on the ground"

The leader turned his attention to the halfling's bodyguard. Several of the men turned to watch as the leader stepped toward Kino. He sized the mustached man up for a moment and chuckled, then spit on the ground.

"You are clearly a fool," he spat. "I gave you the opportunity to walk away from this. First, you pledged loyalty to this insignificant little peck. Then you made the mistake of leaving your weapon out of reach..."

The man suddenly froze and stopped talking.

Waltzing up behind the leader of the gang, clearly disgusted at the fact Big Red would turn tail and run at the first sign of danger. He noses the leader in the back of the head with his rifle "People like you honestly make my skin crawl, preying upon those just trying to make a honest living, Now I suggest you back down and get moving before this tavern gets a new paint job" He said as he stuck the barrel further into the gang leaders head.

"Well done boys! Well done," Slappy quickly said. "You underestimate me and my team. Tell The Toad that I will make a point to pay him a visit the next time I'm in town. Now if you'll excuse me, my men and I have a delivery to make!"

Well Kino never thought of this work as threatening or some sort of. So he turned and went back to his horse hoping this ends well.
He look at the Lad with google and said " You sure know how to sneak someone behind unnoticed. I give you that compliment"

Then he went back at Slappies " Say lead the way slaps and lets hope where not gonna stop by any bandits or monsters on the way."
The thugs realize they've lost the advantage and stand down. "You're going to be very sorry, hobbit," The leader snarls. "The Toad shall hear of this!"

"Well done, Jackson," Slappy says. "Perhaps a second bodyguard might prove valuable after all! You're hired if you still want the job. Now, let's be off. Kino has his own mount, but Jackson, you can ride up here with me. We should keep our eyes open not just for more of the Toads lackeys, but bandits and monsters as well!"

Once everyone is situated, the hobbit leads the group out of town. There is a well-worn road used by wagons and merchant caravans leading to and from the town. The next settlement is a few days away and the weather is pleasant as the group sets off.

As Kino was riding, he stops for a moment as he carefully observe his surrounding since they are on the forest road. He focus on hearing something that he notice the ground shakes a little.

The ground keeps shaking as it something goes nearer to them, with his hunter instinct he grab his axe and went down from Jecht as he signal Jackson and Slappies to stay quiet.
Slappy continued to look over his shoulder nervously as the group made their way out of town. Although the halfling was worried they were being followed, there were no signs of anyone. The next few hours were uneventful.

The hobbit didn't notice the shaking from his wagon perch as it was a pretty bumpy ride. The wheels bounced over the ruts and stones in its path as the wood groaned in protest. The oxen trudged along at a slow pace.

Suddenly, Kino stopped as if looking for something. He grabbed his ax from its sheath on his mount a moment later. The halfling started to ask what was wrong when the mercenary motioned for him and Jackson to stay quiet.

Slappy immediately brought the wagon to a stop and pulled his dagger, Stewart from its sheath. Had The Toad's men laid an ambush for them? He looked around nervously, sure that a crossbow bolt would whiz by his head at any moment or thugs would come charging out of the brush.

Kino saw the bush rustle and for a few seconds something comes out which revealed a beast the size of a carriage as it stares at them. Eyes glaring as its nostrils blow out the hot air, with its tusk sharper like a spear. Before them is a Dire Boar which they are aggressive and territorial.

KIno hold the grip of his axe as he stands but the Dire Boar decided to charge at them. Kino makes a move to block its charge with his axe that he stand firm but slowly pushes him.
The halfling's eyes got wide at the sheer size of the boar. Kino moved to block the path to protect the wagon, but the beast charged at him. Slappy involuntarily shut his eyes, sure that tragedy was about to unfold before him. He remained on the seat of the wagon clutching the reigns tightly in one hand and keeping Stewart ready in the other.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Mercenary for Hire

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus