Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Advice for creating a murder mystery?

I've looked for some modules, but haven't found anything that works... Does anyone have any ideas for how to set up a mystery for players to solve? I want it to be reasonably difficult, but not hard. This is for a Danganronpa-inspired rp with OC's, to clarify. It's a modern setting with slightly futuristic technology
Luscinioide

The problem with murder mystery is that you need to have the entire thing figured out before you write your first post. All the little, seemingly insignificant details relating to the crime, the characters involved, the setting....who/what/when/where/why, but to a very granular extent. If you don't know the answer to something, the players won't be able to figure it out either. Murder mystery relies heavily on foreshadowing and similar plot devices, which require planning in advance. It dosen't work out well when you try to wing those on the spot. You should be able to look back on an earlier post later on down the road and identify 'oh, that was a hint!!'

I really want to emphasize redirection and foreshadowing. Murder mystery is at its best when you as a narrator are unreliable and let the players guide themselves down the wrong path - let them experience trial and error. If you just hand the solution to them through extremely obvious character tropes, then it's no fun. Add in some random scenic details that they think are important, but it's actually just there to throw them off. Toss a comically villainous character into the mix, but have them be completely innocent.Really build up the players' investment and connection to whoever the real suspect is. It'll hit super hard if they find out the person who's been helping them the whole time was actually the killer all along. Yes, it's cliché. But for a good reason.

Your cast is an extremely crucial part of the formula. Make them as human and relatable as possible. Avoid any archetypes that lean hardcore into the "I AM IMPERVIOUS TO THIS HORROR, I KNOW N O FEAR". When someone gets hit in the face by a dead body flying out of the closet, they're not going to be a tough guy who doesn't even blink. They're going to shriek like a little girl because someone's guts touched them. When their investigation hits a rough point, they're going to face hesitation, insecurity, second thoughts about whether they should do this because it might make them the next target. Both your antagonist and your protagonists should have motives that can be summarized in 1-2 sentences. If you need fourteen paragraphs to summarize why the killer killed, reevaluate.

Also, uh, comedic relief. And time for the characters to get attached to each other. That's important and most people forget to make time for it.

And most importantly? Consume other media. Look at what makes other murder mysteries successful. The Wolf Among Us, Daganronpa, Your Turn to Die, And Then There Were None. You'll notice recurring themes and plot devices that keep you hooked. Tropes and clichés exist because they are successful. Don't be afraid to play into them.

I may or may not have just written an impromptu essay on a genre I've written like, once. But really, don't sweat it. It's a lot of work, but it don't have to be hard work. Have fun with it. The more you're enjoying yourself, the more your players will.
shsl_frog Topic Starter

Saturninum wrote:
I may or may not have just written an impromptu essay on a genre I've written like, once. But really, don't sweat it. It's a lot of work, but it don't have to be hard work. Have fun with it. The more you're enjoying yourself, the more your players will.

Thanks for all the advice!! The hardest part now is just gonna be.... coming up with the scenarios. and clues. ack.

If anyone is interested in the rp, btw, I have it below hehe
v
https://www.rprepository.com/community/forums/topic/99221?page=1#post-5684616
Okay so, I’ve actually done a few of these kinds rps before and there’s one important thing to tell.

So some people will say that you need to have everything laid out perfectly and figured out right out the gate, if you were writing a novel with the genera that is exactly what you need to do but in a RP that is different. See if you’re writing yourself, you know exactly How the characters go about finding out what happened, every set piece goes the way you planned it, and every death is laid out perfectly. You do not have this luxury in a RP.

People will do things you didn’t expect or overthink things and go about your puzzles and clues totally wrong, or do something you didn’t plan for at all. And you’re gonna kind of be the jerk if you try to force people to play along as though it’s a on rail rollercoaster and their just along for the ride with no real input. So,

Have things planned out, know who the killer is, know a few key clues that lead to it, know the motivations and reasoning.

Besides that the rest is up to you being REALLY good at improvising. Make it a journey, not just for them but for you. Play a game of chess with these people, when they do something, respond with what makes sense and sets up a domino effect five moves ahead. Never make it seem like it was all planned, it has to feel naturally developed, and it has to feel like the characters involved had an actual impact on the direction the story takes instead of just passively taking part.

It is hard, I messed up ALOT before I got it write, but try, try, and try, and you will.
Best advice I can give is to study real world murder mysteries and what actually happened, or perhaps what might have happened. That is assuming you have the stomach for it.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Advice for creating a murder mystery?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus