Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » VR Art - Any other VR painters out there?

Sanne Moderator

The other day I saw a Reddit post about a VR oil painting simulator called Vermillion. It looked REALLY cool and I nabbed a copy of it as soon as I could. I've been super addicted and churned out several paintings since only a few days ago!

I followed one of the tutorials that are presented and I painted a Bob Ross inspired painting, trying to familiarize myself with the tools (click to see the full not-upside-down version lol):

JbOn6Iy.jpg

Then I found a nice tropical beach photo reference and painted that:

4XKphuh.jpg

And at this time, I have an octopus from reference painting that is a WIP:

E30mkZ1.jpg

It's been a bananas amount of fun to play around and explore 'real' painting without the hassle of buying real life supplies! I haven't used a lot of VR painting/art applications because they feel like novelty apps for the sake of sculpting in 3D, which isn't what I'm looking for, but this is a game changer. The images can be exported standalone (so no background/easel) as well, so this could viably be used to do commissions with as well. :D

For all of these paintings, I've streamed the progress on my Twitch channel (let me know if you want to check that out, there are YT archives of the videos) and I ramble a lot about what I'm doing/why I'm doing things a certain way.

Is there anyone else who paints in VR?
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

Big ole update!! I finished my octopus painting!! :D

qmZ2pPJ.jpg

Took about 20 hours total to paint. I streamed the first 6 to Twitch and recorded the remaining time to turn into a speedpainting video!

Hello friends!

After many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many hours, lots of despair, tremendous soul-searching on what possessed me to do this, I FINALLY completed my galaxy skies painting.

Every single star was painted by hand. I spent an ungodly amount of time blending.

But it was so worth it.

dMnNa7M.jpg

I'm really happy with seeing my own progress in these as I get more comfortable with the tools. I have a kitty painting still in the works, as well as a painting of my sister's dog, both which I hope to finish soon. :D
These are absolutely BEAUTIFUL paintings, Sanne! Keep up the great work. ^_^

Ultra-Knight wrote:
These are absolutely BEAUTIFUL paintings, Sanne! Keep up the great work. ^_^

Thank you!! I'll be sure to keep sharing new ones as I make them! :D

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » VR Art - Any other VR painters out there?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus