Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » I will be getting glasses.

Edit: Thank you all for the support you've provided to me, it's very much appreciated! And thank you for those who share their experiences as well. ^.^ Ya'll are the best!

Hello all, Winter here.

I simply wished to share something in general with you all.

Yesterday was the first time in years (as in: A long time ago in a galaxy far...far away...LOL!), in which I got my eyes examined.

There is nothing seriously wrong with my eyes, but I do need glasses. I forgot to ask if I need to wear them all the time or only for certain times. I'll double check when I go order my glasses.

I have something called fingerprint dystrophy, or sometimes called: Map Dot Fingerprint Dystrophy.

What is Map Dot Fingerprint Dystrophy?

Map Dot Fingerprint Dystrophy (MDF) is a hereditary disease of the “epithelium” or anterior “skin” cells of the cornea. Multiple names are used to describe this condition such as epithelial basement membrane dystrophy, Cogan’s microcystic dystrophy, or anterior membrane dystrophy. Redundancy of the cells within the epithelium leads the skin to form an irregular “fingerprint” or “map like” pattern sometimes containing cystic “dots”. These irregular areas may easily “erode” or break away from the underlying cells causing painful corneal abrasions commonly first noticed upon waking in the morning.

Source: What is Map Dot Fingerprint Dystrophy?

Something else the doctor said: My vision is tilted. So when I get the glasses, it will help to straighten my vision. My left eye is also stronger than my right eye.

I'm looking forward to getting glasses. A lot of my co-workers at work, wear glasses. Roughly off the top of my head I know that twelve of my co-workers wear glasses. Four of them are managers, two are supervisors, and the rest are non authority figures. Most of the twelve wear glasses all the time. Some of them wear glasses only when needed.

I admit it will take some getting used to, when I get my glasses to wear. But I plan to put them to good use. With the family history on my mom's side alone, plus I have slight depth perception issues, it will be beneficial for me to wear glasses. Be it I need to wear them all the time or not.

That is all. Thank you to those who took time to read this!

thumbs-up-tom-hiddleston.gif
I remember that back when I first got glasses (nearsighted), I walked outside and was like "Whoa, I can see the individual leaves on trees!" I was pretty excited about it. ^_^

I think that reading glasses are technically the only ones that aren't supposed to be worn all the time, but I could be wrong. I know that with being near- or farsighted, even just a little, a person is technically putting unnecessary strain on their eyes when not wearing their glasses (or contacts, if they go that route). That said... I generally only wear mine when I go out, since my issue is pretty mild and I'm usually not looking at much at any distance at home. On the other hand, my younger brother was explicitly instructed to keep his on at all times to gradually correct the structure of his eyes; he was pretty much legally blind in one eye and the other had been compensating the whole time. Unfortunately, getting a young boy with untreated ADHD to wear glasses (especially with the odd lenses he needed, that were sure to get him teased) is not easy, and at this point, as an adult, it'd be a lot harder to correct the actual structure.

Depending on the prescription, you might be able to get pretty inexpensive glasses from Zenni. With the angle thing, I'm not sure; they mostly just do basic near/far correction (with or without tinted lenses).

The dystrophy thing sounds unpleasant. >.< For me, I have a genetic predisposition to macular degeneration as I get older, and the treatment sounds more painful and downright scary than the condition itself. (I'll skip saying what it is since it can easily be triggering for a lot of people.) Instead of pain, the condition just results in, well... eventual blindness (which is why anyone bothers with the treatment at all). For now, all I can do is some basic lifestyle stuff to delay developing in or, if I'm lucky enough, maybe avoid it. Just things like keeping my eyes well-protected from the sun, reducing eye strain, taking vision breaks (mostly means periodically looking at something far after looking at something close for a long time, like devices and whatnot), and getting plenty of... some nutrient but I forgot which. Blueberries have a decent amount, though.

Hopefully your glasses can wow you and smooth your experiences out like mine did. :)
Winters_Fury Topic Starter

@Zelphyr: Yeah I didn't fully understand the whole tilt thing with my vision either. I just know that my vision needs the assistance of glasses. I just don't know if it's for nearness, distance, part time, full time, etc. Could ask anything and everything, but all that. Oops!

I'm sorry to hear you got what's going on for you, that you need the glasses. But I am glad you have the glasses that help you!

I hope I will do better when I get my glasses. I can appreciate them better this time around, than I did back when I first was supposed to wear some back when I was younger. Older I get the more I can appreciate things I did or might not have really when I was younger.
Welcome to the club.

I have been wearing permanent lenses since I was 12 years old, I have myopia and astigmatism, and my whole family wears glasses, so it was known that at some point I would have to wear them too. At first it seemed strange to me, I remember that the first thing I thought was "are there people who see this way for FREE?", and it was very difficult for me to walk because I got dizzy, but once I got used to it, I really realized that that I needed them and how much it was making it difficult for me previously not to have worn glasses before. Now I feel weird if I see my face without glasses.

I currently have -7 degrees of myopia and 3 degrees of astigmatism, in 2020 my myopia increased due to the constant use of screens due to virtuality and I had to get glasses that support the rays of the screens. I think the worst thing about wearing glasses (at least, in my experience in my country) is how expensive they are, and they really cost a lot of money to pay for them, but they are for good so I try to think about that when paying.

Wearing glasses really helps a lot, so hopefully you can have a good experience with them.
Winters_Fury Topic Starter

lleuadamaris_ wrote:
Welcome to the club.

I have been wearing permanent lenses since I was 12 years old, I have myopia and astigmatism, and my whole family wears glasses, so it was known that at some point I would have to wear them too. At first it seemed strange to me, I remember that the first thing I thought was "are there people who see this way for FREE?", and it was very difficult for me to walk because I got dizzy, but once I got used to it, I really realized that that I needed them and how much it was making it difficult for me previously not to have worn glasses before. Now I feel weird if I see my face without glasses.

I currently have -7 degrees of myopia and 3 degrees of astigmatism, in 2020 my myopia increased due to the constant use of screens due to virtuality and I had to get glasses that support the rays of the screens. I think the worst thing about wearing glasses (at least, in my experience in my country) is how expensive they are, and they really cost a lot of money to pay for them, but they are for good so I try to think about that when paying.

Wearing glasses really helps a lot, so hopefully you can have a good experience with them.

Thanks! I got my glasses today!

I REALLY need to get used to them. I wore them out of Walmart, and wore them while driving. They make things clearer and make me feel as if I'm taller. Don't ask me how the feeling taller works with the glasses, I don't fully understand that myself. Just the ground seems further away from me than it is, when I wear glasses.

Other wise I'm all set now.

Mine were a bit expensive, but thankfully not as terrible as I thought they would be. I do find the glasses helpful. I can see my truck's dashboard better. I am slightly dizzy from wearing them, but I'm giving my eyes a small break from the glasses. Moderation till I get fully used to them is helpful.

That doesn't sound fun, the needing the special glasses due to the screens. But as you say: They are for good. I hope they've been helpful to you.
As a glasses-wearer since I was 13, welcome to the club! I vaguely remember that whole 'ground is further away and slightly tilted down' feeling when I first got them. Took some getting used to but it wasn't long before my brain adjusted and compensated for it. Hope you too will soon get used to them! :)
Winters_Fury Topic Starter

Dawnia wrote:
As a glasses-wearer since I was 13, welcome to the club! I vaguely remember that whole 'ground is further away and slightly tilted down' feeling when I first got them. Took some getting used to but it wasn't long before my brain adjusted and compensated for it. Hope you too will soon get used to them! :)

Thank you! So far I'm doing good!

I had minor dizziness when I first wore them Monday, when I got them, but since then I've been lucky to not have any. And headaches? Mmm. Not that I'm aware of. Maybe a little, but I'm not sure if it's from the glasses or just rl stress in general. Hoping that I'll adjust soon, so things look normal to me and not tilted/crooked or what ever.
Don’t worry, wearing glasses for me at least at first felt like I had the vision of a drunk person. Once you get used to them, you can barely feel them on your face (I fell asleep with them many times which I do not advise)
Winters_Fury Topic Starter

TiredWriter wrote:
Don’t worry, wearing glasses for me at least at first felt like I had the vision of a drunk person. Once you get used to them, you can barely feel them on your face (I fell asleep with them many times which I do not advise)

Worst I've done with my glasses so far, is treat them like Sunglasses. I put them atop my head, like I would with sunglasses when not using them, and then I'm like: Those weren't sunglasses, you silly. For the most part getting used to them hasn't been that difficult, thankfully. Also so far I've not slept with my glasses on. We shall see how that goes.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » I will be getting glasses.

Moderators: Mina, MadRatBird, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Sanne, Ilmarinen, Ben