Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Express Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Kim Site Admin

This topic is for discussing clues and potential answers to the Express Symbol in Epic Week 2022. Please stay on topic. Remember, these riddles are designed to be challenging and require a group of people brainstorming together; don't feel intimidated if you don't know the answer right away. Every little idea can help. Research is not cheating; it is expected!

Click here to visit the location of the Express Symbol
I love our Zoidberg stand-in over there to the left <3

zoidberg-walking-zoidberg.gif
Mina Moderator

the first clue is alienese! It says "The far future feels familiar."
Mina Moderator

decoding the second clue now:)
Dragonfire Moderator

*makes a delivery*

1200px-Alien_decoder_Futurama.svg.png
Mina Moderator

"has a monster or a mirror..maybe"
Mina Moderator

Far future timeline, and in bender's big score, they use a mirror to read the binary on fry's butt?
Mina Moderator

Mina's unsuccessful guesses

The scary door
Lars Fillmore
Flexo
reflective mirror
Universe 1
The farnsworth parabox
parabox
Zoidberg
Dark matter
Countess De La Roca
A sinking ship
the titanic (Thought this might have been too dark but tried anyway)
a metric ton
the countess
Stumbos 4 (Where it's possible to be crushed under the weight of your own hair.)
Universe XVII
Giant ball of garbage
a realm which is unusual
It turns out it's man
man
A tyrannosaurus rex
The Gambler
the last man on Earth
Mina Moderator

"What's the opposite of a rocket?"
Ehh, I dunno if the Planet Express is ever referred to as the opposite of a rocket, but it does run on dark matter, which technically consumes instead of only fueling things, so maybe that's it? The Dark Matter Generator or whatever.
Mina Moderator

I think with the mirror & opposite refer to The Farnsworth Parabox.. researching for guesses now!
Mina Moderator

Rewatched the "too heavy" sequence in S2E1 A flight to remember, no avail there.
Since the opposite of a rocket is something falling i thought of the countess weighting down the shop and having to fall into a black hole, where later someone comforts bender by saying shes probably in a parallel universe..
Back to the drawing board.
Dragonfire Moderator

Just spitballing - I haven't watched any of the stuff beyond the original series, so I'm not sure of specifics, but... Specifically when it comes to 'opposite of a rocket', could that be referring to something literally? Like, say, brakes? Something that slows something down?
Mina Moderator

Dragonfire wrote:
Just spitballing - I haven't watched any of the stuff beyond the original series, so I'm not sure of specifics, but... Specifically when it comes to 'opposite of a rocket', could that be referring to something literally? Like, say, brakes? Something that slows something down?

This is a good path to go down! I'll look into episodes with obstacles of weight or mechanics in terms of the ship lifting off, i think i can remember that happening more than once!
Tar

Okay, so here was my thought process before I crashed last night: obviously, this is related to Futurama.

We know there's a reference to the far future timeline that comes into play somehow.

We know that the second clue refers to the in-universe show, 'The Scary Door' - that quote was specifically the intro for the show the first time it was introduced, at the beginning of "A Head in the Polls". It also appears in a handful of other episodes, which could be relevant: https://futurama.fandom.com/wiki/The_Scary_Door

"A Head in the Polls" also references the future briefly, in regards to a bunch of robots that'll die in a titanium mine (within 300 years).

However, there is one other episode that references the far future and showcases The Scary Door (even if the intros are different) - specifically, 'Lrrreconcilable Ndndifferences'. Where we're introduced to the cut short pilot of 'Futurella' - "created by Matt Groening's head and David X. Cohen's head, and set in the year 4000." A very familiar looking future!

I'm just stuck on that last clue - a drill, a meteor...? I can find a reference to a meteor in 'Lrrreconcilable Ndndifferences', but only that 'Delivery-Boy Man' in Fry's comic has 'meteor-wishing' powers 'cause his enemy 'Invader X' was crushed by a freak meteor. This is where I figured I'd started getting lost and took a step back, but I didn't get the chance to try 'Delivery-Boy Man' or 'Invader X' either. I did try some other things, like Futurella, titanium mine, etc.
Mina Moderator

Tar wrote:
Okay, so here was my thought process before I crashed last night: obviously, this is related to Futurama.

We know there's a reference to the far future timeline that comes into play somehow.

We know that the second clue refers to the in-universe show, 'The Scary Door' - that quote was specifically the intro for the show the first time it was introduced, at the beginning of "A Head in the Polls". It also appears in a handful of other episodes, which could be relevant: https://futurama.fandom.com/wiki/The_Scary_Door

"A Head in the Polls" also references the future briefly, in regards to a bunch of robots that'll die in a titanium mine (within 300 years).

However, there is one other episode that references the far future and showcases The Scary Door (even if the intros are different) - specifically, 'Lrrreconcilable Ndndifferences'. Where we're introduced to the cut short pilot of 'Futurella' - "created by Matt Groening's head and David X. Cohen's head, and set in the year 4000." A very familiar looking future!

I'm just stuck on that last clue - a drill, a meteor...? I can find a reference to a meteor in 'Lrrreconcilable Ndndifferences', but only that 'Delivery-Boy Man' in Fry's comic has 'meteor-wishing' powers 'cause his enemy 'Invader X' was crushed by a freak meteor. This is where I figured I'd started getting lost and took a step back, but I didn't get the chance to try 'Delivery-Boy Man' or 'Invader X' either. I did try some other things, like Futurella, titanium mine, etc.

I have been stuck on the scary door, and thought maybe that the answer could be in "The Gambler" which involved something falling- the opposite of a rocket, along with a monster and a mirror. But I didn't think to look at 'Lrrreconcilable Ndndifferences'! Great idea! I keep adding to my list of wrong guesses as I go, its in a collapse above if that will be helpful. :3
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Congrats on solving this symbol! The answer was "Antigravity's Rainbow".

For those of you wondering how this answer could be arrived at, here's a quick explanation. :)
\Heimdall, author of this riddle\ wrote:
Futurama is set in the year 3000, but relies on familiar tropes for much of its humor. The show has a parody of The Twilight Zone known as The Scary Door, which is introduced in one instance as "the kind of place where there might be a monster, or some kind of weird mirror." In this segment there are books behind the character, and one of them is Antigravity\'s Rainbow, a parody of the novel Gravity\'s Rainbow, which heavily features German V-2 rockets.
Mina Moderator

Antigravity's Rainbow (referencing Gravity's Rainbow) , a book on the shelf in the scary door episode from "A head in the poles", which was the one containing the opening line about monsters and mirrors!
Ilmarinen Moderator

Great job!!!
Tar

OH, SNEAKY. I actually watched the episode and looked at the book titles too, but none of them meant anything to me. I shoulda looked 'em all up, nice job!

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Express Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus