Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Walking the World Again (Closed)

Liothryth Terandes wrote:
((Sorry I've been AWOL. My 1 year old is teething and my husband wasn't feeling well. I should be able to post soon.))
((take your time))
Liothryth Terandes (played by Mirafin) Topic Starter

((So here's what I'm thinking. Please anyone jump in if you have other ideas or want to do something different.

We do a few posts getting set up in town, finding the stash of magic items, that kind of thing. Eventually maybe Radigan gets intrigued by his new neighbor and comes to visit on his own. Then we can do the confrontation and boss battle.

Like I said, this is just what I'm thinking so we can change any or all of it. Or even scrap the whole thing if we want.))
Linota (played by DoogieMeowser)

(( he could hear some commotion in the abandoned building and come check it out, making him arrive early and surprising the group heuheu ))
Liothryth Terandes (played by Mirafin) Topic Starter

((Oooo! That's a nice twist...))
“WHERE ARE THEY?!”

Radigan was rampaging in the small and overly crowded area he called a living room. It might have been a living room at some point, but now it closer resembled a dragon’s hoard. The more meaningless treasures were scattered about, stacked one atop the other until it was a sea of brass and bronze. The treasures spilled over into the additional bedroom, where all of the kids would race to sleep in lest they get kicked in the face with a kid-polished boot in the morning. Anything of the magical sort, or vastly more expensive and rare, was locked up tight in Radigan’s bedroom, where he would sometimes disappear for hours. Oftentimes, he would come out calmer or uncharacteristically giddy, as if entranced and with a singsong lilt. This wasn’t one of those times. Now, he was making kids scatter with kicks and yells, sometimes hurling a piece of dinnerware at them and sneering when they hit.

The man was large, to say the least. In size, in personality, in anger. If the attention was off him for but a moment, he would be sure to snag it back tenfold, causing a ruckus for having the attention lost in the first place. He feasted like a king daily and it showed even in his joints and the puffiness on his face. Fury came in blooming red patches on his cheeks, neck, and bulbous nose, which wrinkled in an everlasting snarl. His thin, pink lips were only just looser than his sagging cheeks, making him look more hound than man. It was only by coincidence that his personality happened to correspond to this likeness.

He checked his gold, jewel-decorated pocket watch for the umpteenth time and growled. “Seems they didn’t learn enough from the last punishment. I’ll make sure they understand the importance of complying this time, oh yes! They better have something good for me to make up for their insolence.”
Spittle left his lips at the exaggerated articulation, though he didn’t care to notice how it showered down on some of the slower children.

Those two castaway teens had always been the troublemakers in his clan of adolescents. They were strong willed and stubborn as bulls, but that in turn made them smart. And he needed some smarts, other than himself, yet how smart was too smart he wondered. They usually did well to bring him stolen goods, but lately, as they grew, they were getting further out of his control. They made him use more influence, thus using up more of the limited magic in his amulet. Their lack of following orders, like the one he had just given them this morning about not leaving the house was beginning to worry the man. How far out of line could they get while still being no threat to him? No, no- It was always better to be safe than sorry. He would have to deal with them tonight.
Radigan would be checking his amulet with much scrutiny when Arlanni said his name and he didn’t stop while he spoke to her.
Sir Radigan, girl,” he corrected her. “Even harlots can learn some manners.”
At her question, Radigan waved her away with an impatient hand, disgusted by her forgetting his title. But then he paused, thinking about the hefty sack of coins that had just been delivered to him. He already had gold, now he should get his rewards. Especially now that they could afford to miss a session or two at the brothel.

“On second thought, girl,” he called after Arlanni, who couldn’t have gotten too far. “Go to my chambers. You can start your work there.”
She would know what he meant. He would try his best not to use the amulet, saving every last drop for tonight. If persuasion was needed, however, the heated greed that came with the act would force his hand.
When Ren asked for ‘rich guys’ to go inside the abandoned building, a few of the townsfolk gave him questioning stares and quickened their steps. When Azumi took the reins on giving the speech, it turned a few heads and even stopped a few footsteps. The crowd did start clamoring, mostly over the exotic food the beautiful woman promised.
”Eastern! How bizarre!”
“Around the world? Oh my!”

And like a club that no one was supposed to know about, word spread and the building filled in hardly any time at all.
“And just who are you?” One of the social elites asked Ren and Azumi, and perhaps Liothryth if she was near them. He wanted to see if he had heard of them. At the very least, he wanted to remember them for when he retold this story of how he attended a ball with the high esteemed.
Azumi garnered some oo’s and ah’s with her explanation, from the man who asked the question to the people who had gathered around their hosts to hear the answer. When Liothryth answered, the townsfolk couldn’t help but listen eagerly. Her presence commanded it of them, whether they were aware or not. They erupted into chatter when she said she was a ‘Master Mage’ and even more so when she spoke of defeating an army.
“I think I’ve heard of Farnesai!” A woman exclaimed, though it was clear she said it for all the girlish gasps she received immediately after.

“What is it like over there in.. Kamagawi?” One of the men asked, looking back and forth between Ren and Azumi. The word was obviously strange to him, but he held on to his need to seem interested in case these two turned out to be influential. Several people around him followed suit, leaning intently towards them to listen with feeling.

“Five-hundred years?” One of the more perceptive women asked Liothryth. “You’ve been recovering from wounds for 500 years and the first thing you do is come to our shoddy little town with these traveling diplomats to restore a building?”
There was a pause before a beer-wielding man shouted, “Rather gracious of you, Miss!” He raised his pint high in the air and nearly everyone in the room did the same. Most of them didn’t need any more convincing than the fine spread on the tables and the decorations on the walls. The building had gone from ‘lost cause’ to the grand banquet hall they saw before them and they would sooner swallow their curiosity rather than make it all go away. It didn’t hurt that they would be telling this story for years to come.
Radigan strode over to the abandoned building, his chest puffed out and his shoulders straight even before anyone could see him. How dare anyone throw a party and not invite him! Even if it was in a shabby, boarded up house. He held his staff like he knew how to use it, driving it into the dirt with each left step. His other hand fondled the amulet around his neck as he thought to use it on whoever the host was. They would wake up with their poverty party over and their pockets empty, never to return to his town again.

When Radigan arrived, just outside the building, he was met with all variations of stares. Most of them were cordial, some were ‘jealous’ (eye rolls and looks of disgust were considered jealousy), and few were smug. He reveled in all of these reactions, as long as everyone was looking at him. He spotted a few people of prominence before going inside, which surprised him. He tipped his hat to them and they to him, before he entered. His enormous hat just about fell off with how he jerked his head back in shock. Who knew this piece of donkey dung could look like this?? And the food- Lord Heaven Above, the food. He stared around with wild eyes now, instantly fuming that he didn’t get a formal invitation to such a soiree. That he had to find out about it by walking outside his own home and hearing it.

“Who hosts this party?!” He asked loudly, as if this building was his and they were all trespassing. He looked around, demanding an answer, until his searching eyes landed on Liothryth. Good God, those scars. ’What a waste,’ Radigan thought. He would have definitely remembered her in town.
“You there!” He called at her then pierced the crowd to make his way over. “What is the meaning of this party? You did not give appropriate notice!”

He held his staff in a way that made him look more powerful than he was, but that had always been his bread and butter. It looked almost threatening now, the way he subtly pointed the top end of it in Liothryth’s direction, waiting impatiently for an answer.
Radigan, having been addressing Liothryth, looked like he had almost been touched by something gross when Ren and Azumi flanked one of his sides. They spoke of the party being theirs and so Radigan blinked at the scarred woman a few times before annoyedly looking at Azumi.

“Diplomats should have more sense than to have so little manners,” Radigan told her with a nod of his head, driving the point home. How was having a party and not telling him about it peaceful? He then looked at Ren to make sure the message was understood. He was a fellow man, after all.

Radigan glared at Liothryth next when she introduced herself and explained her status. A brow nearly raised at the title of ‘Master Mage’, and maybe it would have if he were in better spirits, but it sat stationary in his scowl. Mistaking him for the mayor, however- He couldn’t help but melt a few degrees.

“Oh, dear lady, no,” he told her, instantly cajoled by her question. “Though I can see how that mistake could be made. The mayor and I are close friends. You’ll find no one closer.”
He said the last sentence almost as if it were a warning then grinned a gnarled, yellowy grin.
“So the party is his?” Radigan asked Liothryth. He wanted to talk to her and only her, in case she said more things to feed his ego. “And who is that with him?”
Radigan studied Azumi, up and down her frame, just as he would any new and shiny thing that passed him by. She tickled his fancy, to say the least, and he wanted to know the cost. That would be his next question if Liothryth said anything other than ‘wife’.
“Ohh,” Radigan said as if he understood what Azumi was trying to say. He chuckled thickly. “I see. ‘Bodyguard’, yes.”
He was about to ask her ‘how much it took’, when Liothryth swooped in with further explanation. He blinked down at her, miffed that she would get in the way of him and his new prospect. When she said he would ‘surely understand’, however, he changed his tune.

“Yes! Yes, of course.” He clutched his staff tighter, as if to say ‘Oh, I know about magic!’ and nodded his head in agreement. “Quite unbreakable indeed.”
Radigan followed Liothryth where she guided him and looked around at her ‘small’ magics. It seemed a grandiose feat in such a short time, if he were being truthful with himself, but he could never, would never, let it show.
“It’s acceptable,” he told her with an upturned nose. “It’s simply–” Then he saw her ring, just as planned.
“Exquisite,” he finished, losing himself in the fine piece of jewelry. He shook his head, causing his cheeks and neck to flap around. “Where did you get such a ring?”

As Liothryth might have explained, a dark smoke started erupting from him as if a small bomb went off inside his coat. He sputtered and coughed while he reached into his right inner pocket and pulled out his bedroom key. It had begun to emit thick, black clouds, acting as an alarm system for his door.

He started to make gurgled, maddened sounds before he yelled, “BLASTED KIDS!!” Wild eyes looked at Liothryth before he turned to head for the exit, the smoking key clutched in his fist.
“They’re more trouble than they’re worth,” he growled to himself, though he didn’t try to make it quiet. “I know just who it is, too. Just who it is. Should have taken care of them earlier, blast it.”

He cut through the crowd, who were more than used to making room for the angry man, and would leave if not stopped.
The sound of Azumi’s voice calling to him made him turn for a moment, as if he had lost control of his own will. She spoke of food and his glistening, hungry lips immediately returned to their snarling.
“I’ll be back to eat your food later! For now I must go.” He continued to stride away from her, his staff driving hard into the dirt with each step. There would only be one thing he might willingly stop for and it wasn’t an 'eastern delicacy' one would find on a menu.

He was storming through the exit now.
Radigan fell forward, though his staff caught him before he could fully fall onto the ground. The wood groaned under his weight as he took a knee and he had to huff and puff to get back on two feet, but he was otherwise unscathed. The same could not be said about his pride, however, and his face turned redder than a ripe tomato.
Confound it!!” He hollered, not caring who could hear him. Now he was even angrier about the whole ordeal of his bedroom being broken into than he was before.

Liothryth reached him as he furiously brushed off his coat and pants, and he looked at her as if his eyes were made of pure hellfire. “It’s thieves!” He raged. “They’ve gone and broken into my chambers! If you want to help, come and set their dirty clothes ablaze while they wear them!!”
The new anger seemed to loosen his lips and make him far less deferential. It took the townspeople attending the party no time at all to know he was talking about his kids. They still didn’t seem to care. Some thought the man was speaking in hyperboles, while others didn’t mind if he was being literal. A burned child was a quiet child after all! They were surprised it took this long for those street urchins to break into his wares.

Radigan hurried down the alley, dead set on reaching his home and exacting his revenge. It would be quite difficult to keep him from this endeavor now.
(( i want to say thank you to all for sticking with this and letting me take control of things a bit, heheh. if Radigan is not going to be stopped by Lio, Ren, or Azumi, i can go ahead and have him make it home where the REAL party can start! boss battle, yayyy XD

also, i was thinking it would be cool if we all had story arcs, where depending on who's story it is, that person takes the reins and surprises the other players within their own realm? we just happened to start with Linota and Cairo's story arc lol. but maybe we can see a bit more of each of the characters' lives around the main plot! could be fun :3 ))
((I was kinda hoping to do that actually lol. If no one wants to start theirs yet, I can suggest Azumi's and Ren's story arc! It's kind of related to the interdimensional being that Ren keeps mentioning, but I'll just start with someone who's his accomplice instead XD))
(( yesssss! i'm down for your arc next 😄 ))
Mirafin Topic Starter

((I vote for having Ren and Azumi's arc next! I'm intrigued to find out what's going to happen. I figure we can wait for Lio's for a little while since her mission is kind of the frame story for this whole thing. And because I'm not quite sure what it's going to be...))
Assallya (played by Slain)

((( Cairo is so going to get a proper beat down! Poor bastard! )))
Assallya wrote:
((( Cairo is so going to get a proper beat down! Poor bastard! )))
cairo gotta save his bestie lmao
Radigan was on his way to his front door when Cairo stepped out of it. The boy started to yell which annoyed Radigan greatly, but his time was coming, sooner than the urchin thought. The amulet was already in Radigan’s hand, the staff in the other, and he began to shout his demands to the other children. They began to pour out of the house at his command to do so, confused to see Linota stiff on the ground and Cairo running away. Some children remained inside the house, too deep to fully hear the calls, but he kept shouting to them.

Then Radigan saw Linota widen her eyes at something behind him, acting as a rearview mirror. She didn’t mean to do it, she was only worried about her staff. She had yet to see the little marble bombs be tested and so she didn’t know what it would do. The fact that she herself was also laying right there and the possibility of getting blown up went unregistered to her. She only wanted the safety of her staff. It was enough of a reaction to make Radigan shield his backside in an instant, with a half-sphere of thick, solid ice. It formed in no time at all with the magic of the staff and deflected the stun bomb, which crackled wildly at the wall of ice. Any bullets that were fired at Radigan would be eaten by the ice as well, driving into it but causing no detrimental cracks.

The faraway shout about a ‘Treasoner’ made him stiffen, but he couldn’t turn around to look just yet. Not before he muttered a protection spell of his own under his breath to shield his back, then he readied another spell. This one was an explosion of force, causing the half-sphere of ice to shatter outward and away from him and the children. Little icicle spears shot up, down, and all around and he followed a few with his eyes to see if they would hit an invisible target. It would have been beautiful, Linota thought, if not for the circumstances.
“My children!!” Radigan shouted, holding his amulet up high and putting as much will as he could into it. “Kill the intruders! Kill Cairo! Kill them all!!”
The amulet drained instantly and the red liquid that had colored half the jewel was mostly gone now. Radigan had enough juice for maybe one adult person and then it would be gone.

Azumi ran past Radigan as he detailed his demands, surprising him enough to jump and he faltered in his commanding speech. It was that woman from the party! What was the meaning of this?? And she had.. TAILS?!
’Disgusting,’ Radigan thought, gritting his gruesome teeth. He had wanted so badly to have her and this whole time she was a filthy animal?!

She had time to get to the five children that still remained in the depths of the house, the ones who couldn’t hear enough to be ensnared, but the other nine were goners.
“Kill Cairo,” they all said in an eerie, simultaneous drone. Except for Henry. He said something like, “Kiwe Caiwo.”
They each had a weapon, something small and cheap that they always kept on their person, but the real challenge was the armor they wore everyday; the fact that they were children. And who in their right minds would want to hurt children? Radigan was more than willing to roll the dice on this presumption, for what was a kid lost? He would get more of them next week and the week after that, once again refilling his pawns.

Once the children were after Cairo, as he was the closest one to them, Radigan snatched up Linota and put an arm around her middle, using her as a human shield as he faced the direction the shots had come from. It took him more effort than was usual to get her off the ground and Linota had to wonder how much spellcasting weakened a person. He was beyond sweaty, as if he were melting instead, and she couldn’t be any more uncomfortable pressed up against him. She would scream if she knew it would help, but it definitely wouldn’t so she chose to save her energy.
“What did you do, girl?” Radigan whispered into her ear, the threat of the words making her neck prickle. “What is the meaning of all this?”

He was still scouring the vicinity, hoping to find the source of the stun bomb and the bullets, when Liothryth appeared from the alley. Radigan sneered. ’Of course,’ he thought. ’Of COURSE. If that had been a real party, I would have definitely been the first to be notified.’
“What did she tell you?” He said aloud, shaking Linota when he referred to her. It was clear that she was having a hard time breathing. The restrictions of the snake that coiled around her had loosened, she just didn’t want to smell him.
“What did she say this time?” Radigan continued, directing his question at Liothryth. “You really listened to a teenage girl?? You think I’m a ‘bad man’? You think these children cannot leave? I give them everything!!

“He’s ly-” Linota tried to shout, but Radigan’s arm pressed firmly into her abdomen and the snake tightened. She bit off the word, gritting her teeth with the effort to harden her torso.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Walking the World Again (Closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus