Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Puzzle 8 Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Kim Site Admin

This topic is for discussing clues and potential answers to the Puzzle 8 Symbol in Epic Week 2022. Please stay on topic. Remember, these puzzles are designed to be challenging and require a group of people brainstorming together; don't feel intimidated if you don't know the answer right away. Every little idea can help. In puzzles, all information you will need to solve it is contained within Epic Week materials.

Click here to visit the location of the Puzzle 8 Symbol
I imagine the first clue is about the person who spoke directly against Dorut.

Also potentially notable: Dorut wrote to someone to request support. Either that person has a lot of respect/authority, or is someone who has been at odds before and a change in stance would be a big deal.

And someone left their position due to disagreeing with what was asked of them.

So names in that... Dorut, Fulgarite Carrol ("Fulgarite" seems to be a title), and Wegronlir Ironrock.
I'm not 100% certain this piece of research will be relevant, but it seems like it could be. Ran the below through a cipher (a - 1, b - 8):

Original Scrambled Note wrote:
Bpib wtl nwwt Lwzcb pia lwvm ca bpm nidwz wn owqvo bw xzqawv nwz bpm zmab wn pqa tqnm. Q pwxm pm zwba. Bpm liuiom pm'a lwvm bw wcz awkqmbg qa abqtt cvnwtlqvo, ivl qn em lwv'b omb i pivltm wv qb, qb eqtt jm eqbp ca nwz omvmzibqwva. Em apwctl amqhm bpqa wxxwzbcvqbg bw xtikm wvm wn wcz wev ia bpm vme Pqop Xzqmab. Awumwvm eqbp amvam, ivl qn bpmg pidm mdmv iv idmziom iuwcvb wn muxibpg, em'tt jm emtt ipmil wn epmzm em'dm jmmv bpmam xiab kmvbczqma. N.A. qa i xzqum kivlqlibm; apm'a itzmilg pqoptg zivsml qv bpm wzlmz, apm cvlmzabivla Ktiv twgitbg, ivl apm pwtla vw qttcaqwva ijwcb cvvmkmaaizg tijwz jcqtlqvo kpizikbmz.

And was able to get this:
Decoded Scrambled Note wrote:
That old fool Dorut has done us the favor of going to prison for the rest of his life. I hope he rots. The damage he's done to our society is still unfolding, and if we don't get a handle on it, it will be with us for generations. We should seize this opportunity to place one of our own as the new High Priest. Someone with sense, and if they have even an average amount of empathy, we'll be well ahead of where we've been these past centuries. F.S. is a prime candidate; she's already highly ranked in the order, she understands Clan loyalty, and she holds no illusions about unnecessary labor building character.

Dragonfire Moderator

I think the F. S. in that note is Folm - she writes a letter to her brother Rest.
Dragonfire Moderator

And the S would be Strongshoulder!
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Congrats on solving this symbol! The answer was "Folm Strongshoulder".

For those of you wondering how this answer could be arrived at, here's a quick explanation. :)

Folm Strongshoulder has a rival philosophy to Dorut Dragontoe - we can see her handwriting in the sermon notes from Dec 21 37U, a day after Dorut's more incendiary sermon was given, among other examples of her more laid back style toward change. Folm is also quite well connected, getting a mention via initial in the undated scrambled note by someone seeking to direct who might fill the power vacuum, as well as her relationship to Rest who is on the Council of Clans. Folm outlasts Dorut, who eventually goes to prison for taking his protest all the way into the realm of treason. However, we do not ever see Folm Strongshoulder's full name. She signs her letters only as Folm. One of her letters is to Rest, and signed Your loving sister. We know Rest's last name because of the December 13 37 Drumbeat article where Rest Strongshoulder is quoted.

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Puzzle 8 Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus