Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » For the Sake of Science {1x1}

Gavin Stroud (played by Sage-Thorne) Topic Starter

"More like a cuddly pet," Gavin murmured under his breath, before crossing his arms. "Well trust me; it's better in here. Wars, genocide, lies, starvation, death, disease..." He shook his head. "It's a madhouse out there."
"I'm not a pet... I-I'm a person... I'm a human!" she pouted, "And I know there's bad things... But there's so many good things too! I-I've only read about them... B-but there's beautiful mountains and forests... I've had the same food every day for 16 years!! I want to try everything..."

Gavin huffed, rubbing the bridge of his nose in agitation. "Look, I'm sorry. But there is absolutely nothing I can do for you. You belong herr, in a lab, Mariah. It's a fact of life. There's nothing for you beyond these walls so just stop thinking that you'll ever get out!" His voice was harsh, gaining a bit of a thicker Scottish accent towards the end. Just as he finished, though, Dr. Chambers stepped in, unaware of what just happened.

"Hello! How did things go?"
Mariah curled into a tighter ball in the corner as Gavin got louder and by the time Dr. Chambers walked in there were tears in her eyes.
"B-but I'm a human too... I-I don't want to stay here..." she turned away from them both and pulled her blanket over her head.

Dr. Chambers blinked in confusion. "What is going on here?" he asked, frowning slightly at Gavin.

Gavin only shook his head, crossing his arms. "Nothing, sir. Just your twst subject having a breakdown."
"I-I'm not just a test subject!..." she protested weakly and little sob escaped her lips.

Dr. Chambers frowned even more, and he went to Mariah, pulling her up into a fatherly hug. "Shh... Mariah, it's alright." He gently stroked her hair back. "It's alright. Someday, Mariah. You know I'm working on it. Just wait a little while. He'll understand... Everyone will understand." He smiled gently, kissing the top of her head.

Gavin tensed up. What, did he think of her as his child or something? He was crazy! She was part cat, for heaven's sake!
But as Gavin had said himself: she was mostly human, and she really wanted to be treated as such.
She hugged the Jamaican man back rested her head on his shoulder. His presence and tone instantly comforted him and she reluctantly let him go after a while.

When ahe let go, the doctor gently tapped her nose. "Now, no more crying, okay? You're much too brave for that nonsense." He chuckled and stood, turning to Gavin. "And you, sir. Mariah is as much a person as you or I; I expect you to treat her as you would anyone else... Perhaps even better, as she is a rather fine improvement of the human body. Understood?"

Gavin frowned, and glanced away. "...yes, sir," he mumbled, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"Good. Now, I expect you two to become friends, since we'll all be working together." Dr. Chambers clasped his hands together and nodded. Suddenly, he brightened. "Ah! Right." He suddenly pulled something out of his pocket--a chocolate candy bar. He extended it to Mariah. "For you. You quite old enough to start being introduced to new things, now with your digestive system fully developed and stabilized." Ah yes, as a younger teen she had had a bit of trouble with her digestion; it had become very sensitive. But now the problem was fixed, and she was back to eating regular food... And now, new foods would introduce fresh stimuli! All very scientific, of course.
She couldn't help it: she smiled and giggled. Whenever the doctor spoke she felt better about everything and she hugged him again, a more sincere one.
When she was handed the candy bar she tentatively took it from his hands and sniffed it, "What... What is it?" she asked curiously, "It smells sweet."

"Chocolate," Dr. Chambers said simply. "Go ahead, try it." He smiled, watching her expectantly to see her reaction to the sweet as opposed to the bland food of the laboratory.
She took a bite of the chocolate bar after removing the wrapper and her lips curled into a delighted smile, "That's really good!" she exclaimed and slowly ate the rest to savor it, "I like that a lot."

"I'm very glad." Dr. Chambers nodded, and put his hands in his pockets. "I think it's about time for you to grow up... While you can't leave the lab yet, I'm working on something special for you." He winked good-naturedly at her, before glancing back at Gavin. "Ah, Patrick. You're from the UK?" he asked.

Gavin cleared his throat. "Scotland, yes, sir."

"Good. You will teach her about Great Britain."

"But sir, I--"

"No buts. You will teach her what it's like there. I've already taught her much history which she has eagerly learned. You will teach her about modern Britain from a first hand account."
"Why does he keep calling you Patrick?" Mariah asked curiously when the doctor left.

Gavin cleared his throat. "Patrick is my given name. My full name is Patrick Gavin Stroud." He nodded slightly and glanced away, suddenly finding himself alone again with the girl.
"Oh..." she looked up at him, "I like Gavin better... If it means anything..."

"Well, thank you." Gavin nodded to her. "Ah... Is Mariah the name Dr. Chambers gave you?" It could very well have been the name her birthmother chose... Or did Mariah have a mother at all? Was she created in a lab using only the reproductive genes of a human and an animal? He shuddered at the thought.
"I guess... He was the only person who ever actually spoke to le until today... Other scientist are always silent or just give me orders..."

"I see." Gavin nodded slightly. "So ah... How do your lessons usually go?" He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.
"Dr. Chambers usually just shows me videos of tutors."

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » For the Sake of Science {1x1}

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus