Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » Summer Soiree: Modern Slice of Life BBQ

First things first
Welcome to my first ever summer soiree topic :D
This is just your everyday slice of life modern setting in our plain human world!

Of course anyone is free to join as long as supernatural characters pass as human people and keep their powers, magic, and such a little bit to themselves. It's perfectly fine to make them try to hide things in order not to stick out or even have some mild impact on things, as long as it won't be of any malicious nature or disturb the people not knowing about the existence of non-humans and/or magic and such. So if you want to enter with a special power / supernatural character, just keep in mind that most of the people won't know about these things and it would be considered best to keep everything a secret.

Other than that, I'm just looking for some friendly, fun and sweet interactions here. All summer soiree rules apply of course.
You can join together with friends, on your own, bringing NPCs along or whatever you'd like. There is no limitation of participants as long as everyone is alright with flexible conversations, sweet little encounters and more than one character talking to one character each.

Edward Everson as the host will try to welcome everyone and have a chat with as many people as possible - but it's perfectly fine for you to do completely other things at the party! I will try to keep up with interactions asap but if you have to wait longer than you want to and maybe find any other chance of things to do, other people's characters to keep you company, it's perfectly great and I encourage everyone to interact with each other as well - maybe you find your new best friend, and of course I will jump right back in!

SETTING OVERVIEW

I typed a in-character description out, but if it's too much text on the first glance, here are the most important informations quick and short:

Theme: Ourdoor summer garden barbecue party
Host: Single father of two daughters, freshly moved into new house
Location: Really big and nice garden around his house in the suburbs
Planned guests: Everyone in the neighbourhood, families of kids the girls met in school/pre-school
Other guests: Anyone who got the invitation, friends asking friends, sending via messengers and even posting on social media
Invitation: Small flyer with sunny/summer/celebration pictures, date, time, location and information
Information on the flyer: Not only meat but also vegetarian and vegan alternatives, everyone can bring anything for the buffet, alcoholic beverages won't be provided, personal phone number provided for questions
Set-up in the garden: Tables, benches, chairs for siting together, eat or talk. Sunny summer day, but trees providing shade. It's late afternoon, in case of darkness there are colorful lights decorated. People taking turns to help out. Kids playing with each other. Many different kinds of people, everyone friendly.
Arrival: Garden door is open, just come in. Host character will be looking out to greet you asap.

Starting the fun in-character

Almost overwhelmed with the joy of finally feeling like he reached the ultimate goal of happiness, after moving into his own little house in the suburbs, Edward Everson can't help but feel blessed. Complete with an almost oversized garden outside that almost seemed a bit excessive for only him and his two daughters, including the previous owner's little shed, the fairytale white picket fence and a still very well-groomed variety of plants, flowers, trees- He woke up the last few days always wondering if it was a dream or truly the new reality.

He felt complete, like a freshly renewed person, finally capable of letting go of troubling experiences, eager to start all over and fill this new environment with brand new memories. It didn't take long for the thought to come up that he might invite a few neighbours over for a barbecue. Just getting to know the others in the streets nearby, meeting everyone and making them feel welcome by preparing everything, providing his garden with a fireplace, grill and such as the location.

Even the weather complied, so he was looking forward to the welcoming party already while preparing everything. Summer holidays were almost there. He planned everything for the first weekend after school would be off for summer, giving him a few days to work around the house and garden with the girls still in school, but leaving a good date for other parents with their children, no matter if they needed to work on weekdays. So it should be the perfect occasion for everyone to show up and the invitation was simple:

He had printed out a few sheets of paper to be each cut into small pieces that basically looked like advertising flyers. Just a few emojis showing the sun, smiling faces with sunglasses, a little palm tree and an exploding confetti bomb with the heading of SUMMER GARDEN BBQ in a bold font. Underneath there was not much to say. A few nice words explaining that everyone was warmly welcome, the notice that there would be vegetarian and vegan alternatives to all the meat and the only thing guests would have to care for was to bring whatever they would like to bring for the buffet. A salad, a little side dish, something to drink (for example, if anyone wanted any alcoholic beverages they had to supply them on their own), a few buns, maybe even cake or sweet dessert. Complete with the new adress a quick way description to find the garden entrance and of course his mobile number if anyone had questions up front.

Most of these flyers he just handed out by taking a walk and placing them inside everyone's mailbox. There weren't many left, but it seemed like a great idea to give them to his girls so they could invite some of their new friends in school and pre-school. At first, the idea seemed to be working out perfectly. Some parents called after finding the notes in their little kids' stuff, talked about everything up front, and agreed on different dishes to bring so there was a variety of option ensured even without asking neighbours. One of them offered to bring some ale-benches and other things over, easy to transport to set-up enough seats and tables for everyone.

But he didn't quite expect that more than one snapshot of his invitations found their ways into phones. It was no use trying to find out where these pictures were send to. From sending them to other kids like 'we should go together' over sharing them in whatsapp groups, facebook posts, instagram stories and who knew what else- it was too late and the moment Edward realized that this must have been the case was no sooner than the afternoon he scheduled for the garden barbecue party. Even before the time he put, the realization hit as more and more people arrived, most of whom he had never seen before or would remember talking to. Not sure if he should be happy or sad about this, there was not way out.

Gratefully, many people offered a hand. It didn't take long until the garden was beautifully set-up with a lot of nice places to sit and eat, some more calmer areas with only comfortable chairs in the shade around trees and hedges. Even some colorful lights would start to illuminate the scenery when it would get darker. Everyone with children brought some outdoor toys and a whole bunch of kids was running through the garden, laughing and giggling, chasing each other with balloons tied to their legs to pop them, sharing some popsicles from a portable freezer box or playing soccer. Some of the older gentlemen took over grilling trying to show off to each other how well they could handle making barbecue - their efforts and friendly rivalry resulting in a never-ending supply of grilled goods.

Emily and Elaine had long before vanished with other kids in the joyful hurricane of playing outside, and Edward had to admit that it was ok. After being worried at first that maybe nobody would show up - and then panicking if it would be even possible to accompany this many people at all - it seemed to go really well. The atmosphere was peaceful, everyone chatted along with each other, the cluttering of dishes and cutlery, laughter and conversation feeling friendly all around. He had given up trying to have a long conversation with every single guest as this was simply not possible. But after making sure that everything was going smoothly and nothing from inside the house was needed anymore, he gave his best to at least welcome every new face approaching as well as thanking the people with really small children or other things to do who left early.

As the sun has started sinking a litte and the temperatures calmed down, there were still a lot of guests but he could swear the company kept changing. Most of the babys and smallest toddlers were brought home it seemed. Quite a lot of younger people arrived, not everyone with family, some with friends. There were still some parents with their kids, making Emily and Elaine still very busy, but also quite some elderly couples enjoying their time. A wonderful mix of a whole variety of different people. He felt a little exhausted but so happy and fulfilled, he couldn't help but grin from ear to ear still as he was completely preoccupied by shuffling tasks between switching empty bottles with full ones when he could - and still keeping an eye on the arrival of new guests to welcome, which he had silently declared to be the most important thing.

Aaaaaand this is where you can feel free to join :D
If you have any questions or need help, feel free to shoot me a PM!
Answered questions and additional information will of course be added to this starter posting.
I'm looking forward to meeting new people and hope everyone has a good time <3
Gary made his way down the sidewalk with the flyer he'd found in his mailbox in hand. He so rarely got out anymore and it would be nice to meet the neighbors. Although he hadn't ever quite acquired a taste for Diet Coke, it was the closest thing he could find to his favorite beverage, Tab, which had been discontinued a few years ago. Since he wasn't sure if his hosts would have any and he was particular about his choice of beverage, he'd thrown a few cans in the cooler and what ice he had in the fridge. He was bad about refilling the ice trays and paused to pour water in all of them and shove them back in the freezer before heading out.

The house in question was just a few streets over, so Gary opted to walk. He wore flip-flops, shorts, and an old vintage-style Atari t-shirt with an open Hawaiian shirt over it. Now in his 60s, he'd retired from Chuck E. Cheese a few years earlier when many of the stores closed in the bankruptcy. He had managed to hang on through two different reorganizations and had been with the company most of his adult life, having joined a few years after it opened in California back in the 1970s.

Other than looking a bit older and grayer, his appearance hadn't changed much over the years. As he approached the house he checked the address again. "This appears to be the place," He said aloud to himself. He started to head up the path to the front door when something caught his eye; the party was around back in the garden with directions for finding the gate. Although highly intelligent, Gary was a bit absent-minded and bad to skim things and not reading directions carefully.

He glanced around. There wasn't anyone in sight and no one appeared to have noticed. Gary quickly reversed course and found the entrance and poked his head in. "Hello," He called out cautiously before entering.
Nina Phelps (played by Dawnia)

Dawnia ripped down the flyer tacked to the wooden pole out by the street in front of her house. She had a flyer for her own neighborhood BBQ party, but it seemed she was an hour late in getting her flyers up. With a huff she went back inside her house. She was still going to have their party... on the 4th of July... she just wasn't going to advertize it. Despite having planned for this for months, she didn't want to have it look like she was having the same party someone else decided to throw ...

It was later that afternoon when Nina walked up the street toward the address on the flyer she had pulled off the pole. She wore her stretch denim jeans with black flats with an oversized worn gray 'Rage Against The Machine' tour t-shirt and her blonde hair in a single ponttail. She had about a foot square box in her hands as she saw an older middle-aged guy pause on the sidewalk before disappearing from her sight. "That must be it" she said to herself as she approached.

The gate to the garden path was nice. She balanced the box on one arm so she could open the gate, and it squeaked a little as she gently shut it. Once latched, she walked through the garden admiring the plants and ornaments before coming to the backyard where the waft of BBQ smoke scented the air with the various seasonings.

Nina didn't wait for the host as it appeared he was engaged talking with the older guy in the Hawaiian shirt. She saw what looked like a buffet table and she went over and sat the box on the table and opened the top. It was a special fruit cake. She then walked around a little nodding and talking briefly to various people, none who she knew, and found a cooler filled with ice and water bottles, and she took one out and opened it. It had bene a hot day and she didn't really drink enough through the morning and early afternoon. She then stepped back and walked around the yard a bit before picking up a lawn chair and moving it a few paces toward the far corner of the yard that was shaded by a big Cedar tree. She sat down and sipped her water and watched the people milling about. She would talk to the host at some point before she would leave, but wouldn't bother him greeting and talking to new arrivals.
Edward Everson (played by Sin-fonie) Topic Starter

After bringing as many crates with empty bottles down into the basement to make way for new ones, Edward had just grabbed another tray of water - half sparkling and half not - to haul back upstairs with him on his way to the garden. Slightly sweating but still with his happy little smile on his reddened cheeks, he had conquered the staircase for good and shortly stopped to set the heavy tray down, take a few breaths before continuing his work. It was then when he heard the sound of a tentative voice which made him look around to see where this was coming from.

For a moment he wondered if everything was alright, because after having watched so many people just walking in without further hesitation, the thought of someone asking before helping themselves almost felt surreal now. As his gaze finally fell on the man in question, his face still lit up with joy and before thinking, Edward took a few steps in his directions to greet him with a warm smile and a wide inviting gesture towards the back of the garden.

"Hello there!", he chirped in the new guest's direction to slow down and stop close enough to him for offering a handshake. "I'm Edward, and pleased to meet you! So glad that you made it, we have already started, but that's no problem at all- Feel free to join us, there's still room and enough food and drinks for everyone!" Trying to find a balance of making the other man feel not like a stranger but also not completely overwhelming him, Edward barely noticed other new guests arriving. He had walked around before, looking around and approaching faces he didn't remember greeting so he wouldn't miss anyone and nobody would feel left out - even succeeding in introducing himself to some people twice, a few ones even three times, because his memory wasn't the best and he was excited.

As he saw a pretty blonde woman walking by, he didn't remember to see her before so he quickly wrote himself a mental note to resume this and say hello to her later, as she already seemed to know where she wanted to go- at least she seemed more confident than the man who was dressed like he just jumped out of a sweet quirky movie. Edward couldn't help but feel endeared by the way he somehow seemed to feel like a fish out of the water, and even less stop himself to try and make him feel extra welcome if he maybe needed a little friendly push or anything.

Picking up his formerly abandoned water tray again with one hand, he smiled at the guy and nodded into the direction of the buffet. "I can show you a bit around if you want to? We can just stop by the tables to drop off the drinks, then I'll try to give you a small tour of the garden", he laughed a little, "Unless the smell from the grill isn't too distracting, of course, grabbing a bite to eat won't be wrong either!"
Then noise from a motorcycle could be heard. A young woman was seen driving a pink and black Yamaha motorcycle, while wearing a black full body bikesuit with pink and silver accents, alongside a matching crash helmet on her head. Soon, arriving at the front of the house, she got off her vehicle and removed her helmet, revealing her short brown hair and green eyes.

"I think this is the address." she looked at the flyer. Being new in the neighborhood herself, she couldnt wait to meet the locals, old and new alike. And for this, nothing was more perfect than a BBQ party. Smiling, she entered the garden door, ready to have fun and meet new people.
"Hello there!", he chirped in the new guest's direction to slow down and stop close enough to him for offering a handshake. "I'm Edward, and pleased to meet you! So glad that you made it, we have already started, but that's no problem at all- Feel free to join us, there's still room and enough food and drinks for everyone!" Trying to find a balance of making the other man feel not like a stranger but also not completely overwhelming him, Edward barely noticed other new guests arriving. He had walked around before, looking around and approaching faces he didn't remember greeting so he wouldn't miss anyone and nobody would feel left out - even succeeding in introducing himself to some people twice, a few ones even three times, because his memory wasn't the best and he was excited.

"Good to meet, you," Gary replied returning the handshake. "Gary Portelli. I guess, uh, you're new to the neighborhood? I've been in the area myself for a while now. I started off back in California back in the 70s, then spent a decade or two in Texas before transferring here. What brings you to the area? New neighborhood or coming from elsewhere?"

Picking up his formerly abandoned water tray again with one hand, he smiled at the guy and nodded into the direction of the buffet. "I can show you a bit around if you want to? We can just stop by the tables to drop off the drinks, then I'll try to give you a small tour of the garden", he laughed a little, "Unless the smell from the grill isn't too distracting, of course, grabbing a bite to eat won't be wrong either!"

"Oh, yes, that would be nice. Really nice place you have here," Gary remarked. "I'm sure they'll be plenty of food. No hurry on my end."
Danny Wysocki (played anonymously)

Danny arrived with his fiancée Amber in her car and found parking on the street. He got out and would help with carrying the punch in. "Hey AmberLove, That gate is the way to the party. If you open it I'll carry the punchbowl."
Amber Diaz (played anonymously)

Amber got out of the car she gave Danny a warm braces smile and said thanks she went to go open the gate and waited on Danny she gave alex and kevin a little wink
Edward Everson (played by Sin-fonie) Topic Starter

"Thank you!" Edward smiled at the compliment towards his house and garden, "I love it so much as well! Most things were still just like this from the previous owners- I didn't have much time to change anything, but even then I think it's really charming and I probably won't change a lot anyways- Oh you seem to have been quite some places!" He tried to paint an imaginary map of the States in his head to locate the different locations, then just grinned and shrugged it off. "California, Texas... I've never been anywhere, honestly. Before we got here, we had some small makeshift arrangement in my ex wife's apartment, and before that we've never even been on this continent!"

He laughed and the sound of a motorcycle approaching thankfully made him stop for a little in his ramblings, looking around still on his way towards the buffet tables and even pausing his steps to wave his unoccupied hand towards the new- oh, now not only one but three new faces! His face lit up even more, so many nice people who came in and wanted to have a good time.

"Hello there! Welcome", he shouted quietly with joy, looking again at Gary with a grin. "I actually don't know anyone here, and that's why I thought it would be great to get to know people", he explained, while offering to take his cooler box in his free hand as well. "So, what do you think me make a little group to show everyone around? You'll welcome these three and ask them if they want to wait to be shown around as well, and I'll be there in a second again! Just bringing these drinks to the buffet and- Oh yes", his eyes fell on the woman he saw sooner already again, as she was now sitting by the cedar tree as if she was maybe waiting for someone or maybe just rather shy as well? "And another new guest I didn't welcome yet!"

He looked from Gary to her, to Gary again and to the other three - two women and another man - then to Gary another time. "So I'll take your things and my things over to the tables, you greet the three over there, and then we meet with both your and my new company right here again to start a little tour?" He giggled, blushing, feeling almost like a school boy who was suddenly in charge of the whole class during a school trip. Edward had to admit he was a bit nervous and overwhelmed with all this, but for now still in a good and exciting way.
Edward Everson wrote:
"Thank you!" Edward smiled at the compliment towards his house and garden, "I love it so much as well! Most things were still just like this from the previous owners- I didn't have much time to change anything, but even then I think it's really charming and I probably won't change a lot anyways- Oh you seem to have been quite some places!" He tried to paint an imaginary map of the States in his head to locate the different locations, then just grinned and shrugged it off. "California, Texas... I've never been anywhere, honestly. Before we got here, we had some small makeshift arrangement in my ex wife's apartment, and before that we've never even been on this continent!"

"Oh, well welcome to the United States," Gary replied. "I've lived a few places around the country but I've never been overseas before, or anywhere outside the continental US for that matter. It's a lovely place you've got."
Edward Everson wrote:
He laughed and the sound of a motorcycle approaching thankfully made him stop for a little in his ramblings, looking around still on his way towards the buffet tables and even pausing his steps to wave his unoccupied hand towards the new- oh, now not only one but three new faces! His face lit up even more, so many nice people who came in and wanted to have a good time.

"Sounds like more guests," Gary commented.
Edward Everson wrote:
"Hello there! Welcome", he shouted quietly with joy, looking again at Gary with a grin. "I actually don't know anyone here, and that's why I thought it would be great to get to know people", he explained, while offering to take his cooler box in his free hand as well. "So, what do you think me make a little group to show everyone around? You'll welcome these three and ask them if they want to wait to be shown around as well, and I'll be there in a second again! Just bringing these drinks to the buffet and- Oh yes", his eyes fell on the woman he saw sooner already again, as she was now sitting by the cedar tree as if she was maybe waiting for someone or maybe just rather shy as well? "And another new guest I didn't welcome yet!"

"That sounds great. I wish I'd thought to do this when I moved in. I have been here a while and don't really know any of the neighbors," Gary remarked.
Edward Everson wrote:
He looked from Gary to her, to Gary again and to the other three - two women and another man - then to Gary another time. "So I'll take your things and my things over to the tables, you greet the three over there, and then we meet with both your and my new company right here again to start a little tour?" He giggled, blushing, feeling almost like a school boy who was suddenly in charge of the whole class during a school trip. Edward had to admit he was a bit nervous and overwhelmed with all this, but for now still in a good and exciting way.

Gary followed his host to where the new arrivals were and stood idly by while introductions were made. It would probably be easier for Edward if he handled everyone at once.
"Hello there!" Agate walked up to Edward. "I assume, this is the place, right?" she asked, looking around. The short-haired girl assumed this was the right place, having seen other people to arrive as well, she just wanted to be sure.

Edward Everson wrote:
Oh yes", his eyes fell on the woman he saw sooner already again, as she was now sitting by the cedar tree as if she was maybe waiting for someone or maybe just rather shy as well? "And another new guest I didn't welcome yet!".

Nina was just enjoying watching people as she sipped her water. When she noted the host looking her way, she raised her water bottle and smiled, giving him a small wave with her free hand.

She then saw the girl who visits her basement renter periodically... Amber is her name. Hina had the pleasure of sitting down with her when she came over looking for Jay but he wasn't home. A very nice girl. She also saw she was accompanied by another boy. Nina smiled and sipped her water.

Seeing the host talking a lot with the older gentleman, Nina thought she should get up and mingle, and maybe offer some help? Another young woman came into the yard and looked a little lost, So Nina got up and walked back across the yard to the host and the older man. "Hi... I'm Nina. I live a couple blocks away. Nice place you have here." she said to the host. She looked to the older man and smiled. "Hi! I'm Nina." she said offering her hand to one, then the other.
Seeing the host talking a lot with the older gentleman, Nina thought she should get up and mingle, and maybe offer some help? Another young woman came into the yard and looked a little lost, So Nina got up and walked back across the yard to the host and the older man. "Hi... I'm Nina. I live a couple blocks away. Nice place you have here." she said to the host. She looked to the older man and smiled. "Hi! I'm Nina." she said offering her hand to one, then the other.

"Hi, Nina. Good to meet you! Gary Portelli," Gary said extending his hand. "I live a few streets over myself. I moved in a few years ago. My company was going south and a lot of locations were closing up shop. I figured that since I'd been there from almost the beginning, this was a good place to get off while I still could. Apparently, they made it through bankruptcy, but I was ready to retire. I felt like it was time to pull up stakes and try living somewhere different for a while. When I saw Ed's flyer, it dawned on me that I hadn't really met anyone in the neighborhood and I should change that. So, how about you? How long have you lived here?"
The princess daintily walked into the garden while admiring the flowers.
"Hello!" She called. "Everything here looks beautiful."
Alizha curtsied to the host, and after exchanging warm greetings, made her way over to a lovely chair adorned with flowers. She peered closer to see if they were imitation blossoms or real. Whatever, they were lovely.

In response to Gary
Gary Portelli wrote:
"Hi, Nina. Good to meet you! Gary Portelli," Gary said extending his hand. "I live a few streets over myself. I moved in a few years ago. My company was going south and a lot of locations were closing up shop. I figured that since I'd been there from almost the beginning, this was a good place to get off while I still could. Apparently, they made it through bankruptcy, but I was ready to retire. I felt like it was time to pull up stakes and try living somewhere different for a while. When I saw Ed's flyer, it dawned on me that I hadn't really met anyone in the neighborhood and I should change that. So, how about you? How long have you lived here?"

Nina shook Gary's hand as she looked at his face smiling. She kind of stepped bak out of the way to stand next to him to carry on a conversation.

"Yeah there is a lot of that retrenchment going on. I was an operations manager at Century Trust, a regional savings bank, but Bank of America swallowed them a year and a half ago. Last September they laid off most of the people as the incorporated operations into their own infrastructure. I only got this job on a tip from a neighbor."

Taking a drink from her water bottle, she looked around and then said, "I live a few blocks away on Cedar Grove Lane not far from Cedar Grove Park. I guess that kind of makes us neighbors huh?" She smiled and looked back at some of the people, giving a wave to Amber Diaz.
Nina shook Gary's hand as she looked at his face smiling. She kind of stepped bak out of the way to stand next to him to carry on a conversation.

"Yeah there is a lot of that retrenchment going on. I was an operations manager at Century Trust, a regional savings bank, but Bank of America swallowed them a year and a half ago. Last September they laid off most of the people as the incorporated operations into their own infrastructure. I only got this job on a tip from a neighbor."

Taking a drink from her water bottle, she looked around and then said, "I live a few blocks away on Cedar Grove Lane not far from Cedar Grove Park. I guess that kind of makes us neighbors huh?" She smiled and looked back at some of the people, giving a wave to Amber Diaz.

"We are definitely close," Gary agreed with a nod. "Times are definitely changing and a lot of brands we've known are going away thanks to corporate mergers, but that's been going on since the 60s. Hardly anything new although there are many things I miss. Growing up, I was always into technology and I couldn't wait to get to the 21st century to see what innovations we would have. Now that we're here, I'll admit it wasn't quite what I envisioned. I do miss the 80s!"

He paused to allow some of the newcomers to join the conversation. Gary had just finished his Diet Coke and cracked open another one. He decided it was a great time to check out the food selection but didn't wander far so the conversation could continue.
Apollo Sterling (played by -Danny-)

Apollo pulled up to the parking lot of the park, a pair of shades and a ball cap on, wearing a bright Hawaiian shirt and a pair of shorts and sandals. He parked his Lamborghini and got out, the door sliding up as he stepped out. He walked around the car, the driver door shutting on it's own as the other door opened. He reached down pulling out a brown bag in his right hand, with fifteen one inch thick cut premium T-bone steaks already seasoned, and a cooler filled with some cold beer. As he walked from the car over to the BBQ he would set the bag by the grill, looking at Edward with a smile. He looked like he was wearing his shades and hat to keep himself incognito as he set the cooler down, opening it up...twelve bottles of Jacobsen Vintage No. 1 sat chilled in a pile of ice, with a large bottle of Sam Adam's Utopia and some red solo cups next to it. He pulled one of the Jacobsen beers out, his hand wrapping over the top as he twisted the top off...taking the cap and sliding it into his chest pocket as he took a sip. "Nice BBQ you have here..." he said pulling his invitation out of his pocket handing it to Edwards with a smile then nodding to everyone else at the party. "Did you want me to help you cook?" He said to the man, Apollo coming off as very polite. "I'm Apollo by the way..." He extending his hand to shake Edward's. "Thanks for holding this little shindig...nothing beats a good barbeque!"
Apollo entered, introduced himself to Ed, and inquired if he needed any help with grilling. Gary took notice of the newcomer and saw they were dressed the same; Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and sandals and decided to say hello to the man. The other guests had seemed to move on and Gary was standing in the yard sipping on his Diet Coke not really talking to anyone at the moment.

It appeared he had brought some meat to grill. "Hey there," Gary said. "Gary Portelli, I live a couple of streets away. I moved here a couple of years ago and haven't really met any of the neighbors. I retired and decided I needed a change of scenery. I assume you live in the neighborhood? Been in the area long?"

*Tag Apollo*

Response to Gary
Gary Portelli wrote:
"We are definitely close," Gary agreed with a nod. "Times are definitely changing and a lot of brands we've known are going away thanks to corporate mergers, but that's been going on since the 60s. Hardly anything new although there are many things I miss. Growing up, I was always into technology and I couldn't wait to get to the 21st century to see what innovations we would have. Now that we're here, I'll admit it wasn't quite what I envisioned. I do miss the 80s!"

He paused to allow some of the newcomers to join the conversation. Gary had just finished his Diet Coke and cracked open another one. He decided it was a great time to check out the food selection but didn't wander far so the conversation could continue.

"Yeah, unfortunately. Anyway, I did manage to get this new job." Nna drained her water bottle before adding, "I was born in the 80's and was still in single digits by the time 1990 came around." As Gary went toward the food, Nina went toward the recycle bin to toss her water bottle.

"Well, I do have to go. Just visited to be neighborly but the host seemed to have disappeared." She gave a wave to Gary and looked around for Edward but didn't see him. "Enjoy the BBQ everyone!" she called out before walking back out through the garden path to the gate to the sidewalk. She headed back to her place where they were having a BBQ this day as well.
Prior to Gary approaching Apollo...
Nina Phelps wrote:

"Yeah, unfortunately. Anyway, I did manage to get this new job." Nina drained her water bottle before adding, "I was born in the 80's and was still in single digits by the time 1990 came around." As Gary went toward the food, Nina went toward the recycle bin to toss her water bottle.

"Well, I do have to go. Just visited to be neighborly but the host does seem to be busy." She gave a wave to Gary and looked around for Edward but didn't see him. "Enjoy the BBQ everyone!" she called out before walking back out through the garden path to the gate to the sidewalk.

"Ah, I was in my mid-twenties and managing a restaurant in the early 80s," Gary replied. "I won't mention how old I am now." He chuckled. "Well, it was good to meet you, Nina! I hope to see you around again sometime! Take care!"

He paused to allow some of the newcomers to join the conversation. Gary had just finished his Diet Coke and cracked open another one. He decided it was a great time to check out the food selection but didn't wander far so the conversation could continue...

Cut back to intro with Apollo...

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » Summer Soiree: Modern Slice of Life BBQ

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus