Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Trick or Treat: Deepwoods Abode

Hecate (played by Ultimate.Gaymer)

"Fishies!? Fishy treats!? Oh, thank you very much!" Hecate's enthusiasm was transmitted to the badger as the delicious smell of the sardines wafted into her nose. The little cat daintily stepped towards the dish and began to eat, clearly enjoying the treat. It wasn't often that she was given something so nice on Halloween; oftentimes, people assumed "talking cat" meant "cat that can eat human candy", which Hecate thought just didn't make any logical sense. So naturally, she was grateful to have a treat she could actually enjoy, as well as for Marlemier's kindness in general.
As she ate, Hecate listened intently to the chatter of those around her. A soft purr rumbled in her chest. So many people, out and about, enjoying the spooky season... It filled her heart with happiness. That being said, she didn't want to overstay her welcome or accidentally get underfoot of all of the other guests, so although a part of her wanted to stay and socialize, Hecate opted to leave after finishing the dish of fishy treats (and fastidiously licking every last speck of flavour out of it, then giving her paws and face a quick wash.)
With a little wave of her tail to anyone who may be looking, and a "happy Halloween!" directed telepathically towards Marlemier, Hecate departed down the path, enjoying the crinkle of the forest floor beneath her paws. She could only wonder where her wanderings would take her next...
"I'm surely grateful for it. Walks in the woods are all very well for me, but living in them is something else... And besides that fire is my trade and it doesn't mix too well with trees, o'course. I look forward to seeing you! May you have a warm and plentiful harvest and a blessed winter." Bastrina bowed and saluted with the symbol for luck and gratitude that she'd been taught as a youthful sprout of a swordsgirl. The children of the village would be waiting, so she continued on her way to her next stop, be it a house, a hump of grassy ground to sit on, or an herbal patch with useful things in it. She tried to carry joy in her heart, and keep energy for her walk. The scent of candy, flowers, and aromatic trees would softly echo in her mind for a long, long while and help carry that hope and joy with her.
Marlemier (played by Ilmarinen) Topic Starter

When Hecate took gleefully to the sardines, the badger bent down to give her some sublime scratches, starting on the head, then moving to behind the ears, then trailing down her spine. Her long claws weren't sharp enough to cut, making them excellent scritching tools. "G'night then, wee one!"

Marlemier straightened up, then beamed up at Wakumi and tossed some wrapped hard candy drops into her basket. "Here ye are! Ye'll like 'em, I'm sure."

To Bastrina, she chuckled. "I've always got a warm fire on me hearth. Couldn't do without." The strong woman's heartfelt farewell made Marle grin widely and toothily, and she clapped her paws together as she bowed, making the gesture more formal. "Farewell!" she called after.
"Thank you so much!" Wakumi responded to the badger woman, giving a small bow. She then stepped aside, giving place to the others. She was patient, being able to wait, until all the others would get their treats.
Button (played by Riik)

Even on its own, the sight of a cauldron being carried through the woods by four mechanical legs was enough to turn heads. But with a pair of fake dragon wings and accompanying tail stuck to the back of it, it was even more of a sight to behold. Its contents primarily consisted of sea water, which allowed it to host its primary occupant and apparent pilot.

Directing this mobility construct through means that weren't entirely obvious on first glance was a small purple marine being, whose head was currently adorned by a green hood, orange spikes cresting along the middle completing the draconic motif of the costume as a whole. Naturally, the hood was soaked through by this point, but the occupant of the cauldron did not seem to mind. All four of their hands were currently clasped to the front lip of the container, clearly finding the act of being carried along by the bizarre machine exhilarating.

The cauldron skidded to a halt outside the house, spilling a clump of salt water onto the ground in the process as the water settled down. The occupant - Button - unhooked a sack from one side of the cauldron and held it open in front of them, squeaking loudly to the general rhythm of 'trick-or-treat!'.

Marlemier let out a gruff laugh when she saw the cauldron trundling its way up her path. At first she thought the cauldron itself was the costume, but no--it was merely the vessel for a mighty dragon. "Evenin' there!" she called as she held up the bowl of candy. A selection of black licorice and wrapped peanut brittle was deposited into Button's bag. "I hope these old roots don't give ye problems," she said, clapping an affectionate paw upon the rough bark of her home. Many of the other trees in the forest were almost as large, with their own dense tangles of roots, sometimes stretching out into the path.

The badgermarm realized that Wakumi hadn't yet departed. "Aught I can do fer ye, lass?" she asked warmly.
"Well, I just would like to talk with you, if you dont mind." Wakumi said and glanced at the potted herbs. "I have noticed those medicinal herbs in front of your home. Say, are you a herbalist yourself?"
Button (played by Riik)

Button chattered in a series of squeaks that even in their native language were very hard to understand. After all, it was a language designed to be used underwater. And whilst it was true Button had a body of water to slip under, it would perhaps be just as difficult to interpret from the surface anyway.

They put away their candy sack and seemed to chatter on some more, gesturing with their arms to emphasise talking points that weren't at all clear. They finished off with something that resembled a thanks, then coaxed their cauldron into turning around and began bounding off to their next destination, calling out a squeaky farewell as they went.

Marlemier made a great show of pretending she understood what Button was saying, with all the patience a mother might have for a babbling toddler. "Travel safe!" she called after the aquatic critter.

With all treats dispensed for the time being, Marle set down the bowl on the table just inside the door. "Aye, lass," she said to Wakumi. "I'm a healer, and at times 'tis easier ta grow yer own than ta harvest from the wild. Some plants doona last long in cultivation, though ..."
"I see. Thing is, I am a herbalist myself." Wakumi responded to Marlemier. "I like to collect mine in the wild, but some are indeed difficult to come across. Actually, I noticed that here are some kinds that I would need and thought maybe we could trade. What do you think?"

"A lovely idea," crooned the badgermarm. "A moment, if ye please ..." She stepped inside to fetch a couple of empty clay pots. "The mugwort and dittany are outgrowing their plots, so yer doing me a favor, really."

Marle shuffled out of the house and, by the light of the lanterns, used her oversized claws to carefully separate a couple of the plants and dig them up. She placed several offshoots of each kind into each pot: the mugwort, a plant with spiky green leaves, and the dittany, with round, fat leaves, lighter in color. "Here! They're all yers!" Marle held the pots up to Wakumi, one in each paw. "Any others ye need?"
"Thanks. The mugwort and the dittany are exactly the ones I need. As for the exchange..." Wakumi accepted the pots. She reached into her bag and took out some small flasks, containing seeds, each of them labelled according to what they contain. "Recently, I have also decided to try to grow some plants myself and I have these ones for exchange. Sage, lemonbalm, thyme, mullein and valerian. Choose, which one you want."

"Och!" Marle chuffed as she reached out to daintily take the flask of mullein seeds. Her claws made a little clack as they touched the glass. "I havenae had mullein in me garden in years! Much obliged, lassie." The badger held the vial up and gave it a little shake, then tucked it into a pocket in her apron. "Be sure tae sing tae yer plants. They like that. Except millefoil--it'll put it right off!"
"I will keep this in mind, thank you!" Wakumi smiled at Marlemier. Singing for plants... this was definately new for her, maybe worth to try out. She placed her bag on her back, and her two new pots into her hands. "Again, thanks for the herbs and this amazing night." She bowed to the badger woman. Then she unfurled her moth wings and took into the air, but carefully because of her new plants.

Marle raised a paw to wave farewell to Wakumi as she fluttered off into the night. "G'night, lass! Thanks fer comin' by! Be safe!"

The evening had grown long in the tooth, and the badger was suddenly gripped by a dramatic jaw-popping yawn. As she took her candle-snuffer and went to put out her lanterns, she hummed a quiet tune. When the task was done and she was ready to retire, the badger raised a paw to pat the solid burl of root to the right of her door. "And g'night to ye, old friend."

The last of the light faded as Marlemier drew down her curtains. A dark chill crept into the woods, winter's first bite. But, cozy in her rocking chair, the badgermarm didn't feel it. She was warmed by her hearth and the memory of all the smiling faces she had seen tonight.

((Fin!))

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Trick or Treat: Deepwoods Abode

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus