Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Egyptian 2D Animator and Illustrator (remote)

Hello! For context, I am Egyptian and until recently I was an English editor. Over the past year, I've been working hard to adjust to my current remote job as a 2D animator and illustrator, so I've been stuck away from RPR! I figured this would be the perfect event to return to. <3

The job itself is based in the UK, and we produce educational videos for teachers to use in class. English is not my first language, but I am (hopefully) fluent!

The style we use is 2D motion graphics with 2D characters rigs, but in my spare time I animate frame-by-frame and draw freehand.

I have so much to discover still, so I don't know if I can give the best advice. Still, I'll do my best to answer questions about working remotely, about animation, illustration, career shifting, and anything else you'd like to learn based on my personal experience. Just please keep the rules in mind and have fun! <g>
I am fascinated with location-specific weather / seasons so i have got to ask was Egypt very different from where you are at now, weather-wise? Or are you still in Egypt but working through an English company? AND IF SO, HOW'S THE WEATHER OVER THERE 8D
FishyFrisk Topic Starter

oven wrote:
I am fascinated with location-specific weather / seasons so i have got to ask was Egypt very different from where you are at now, weather-wise? Or are you still in Egypt but working through an English company? AND IF SO, HOW'S THE WEATHER OVER THERE 8D

I am still based in Egypt; I just work online! I live in a coastal city so it's a bit colder and more humid here compared to the rest of Egypt. So far I'm still wearing half-sleeves at home, and I only just need to put on a jacket when I leave since it's still 23 C in the morning (73.4 F) and 20 C (68 F) at night. Usually our sign of winter is sudden very heavy rain and a subsequent drop in temperature, so we're uh.. we're still waiting on that! There used to be more of a transition between seasons but we've lost our autumn over the years.

It's very funny because I see my co-workers wearing sweaters or cozy, heavy-knitted cardigans whenever we're on zoom calls, and they complain a lot about how grey it is over there. I probably look like I'm constantly on summer vacation. XD

(I've also both lived in and visited colder countries before and one of my funniest weather experiences is when visiting one of my best online friends, she casually commented on how 4 C (39.2 F) was "a warm winter"; meanwhile, I was having a hard time moving my fingers from how cold I was 8-) ).
EHAHAHA RIGHT??

that's awesome, thank you.

i moved to a warmer climate and get to feel like an absolute superhero in the winter, walking around in shorts while people bundle up in scarves.
FishyFrisk Topic Starter

oven wrote:
EHAHAHA RIGHT??

that's awesome, thank you.

i moved to a warmer climate and get to feel like an absolute superhero in the winter, walking around in shorts while people bundle up in scarves.

No problem, and ffff, I can bet people do actually think that! Seeing tourists in shorts while we're all wrapped up and chattering our teeth always left me in awe, it's pretty funny. XD
Kim Site Admin

I'm SO glad to see your name on the boards again, and so glad to hear you're still animating! :D

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Egyptian 2D Animator and Illustrator (remote)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus