Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA - Working as a vampire

Technically a phlebotomist but vampire is a term used in the job. But yes, doing that along side nursing school in the UK :3

Not sure what else to add so - AMA I guess.
Auberon Moderator

As someone who is prone to fainting when getting stuck and has a severe syringe phobia (just don't give me details about the needles themselves), I'm curious to know how you handle patients like me. I've had phlebotomists do their best to chat me up, or ask about different subjects to try and engage me. Others have had me count down for breathing when I've started to cry.

What's your technique for helping people who may be having a rough time with blood work get through it without too much trauma?
Leighoflight Topic Starter

Auberon wrote:
As someone who is prone to fainting when getting stuck and has a severe syringe phobia (just don't give me details about the needles themselves), I'm curious to know how you handle patients like me. I've had phlebotomists do their best to chat me up, or ask about different subjects to try and engage me. Others have had me count down for breathing when I've started to cry.

What's your technique for helping people who may be having a rough time with blood work get through it without too much trauma?

Great question! And one I do get a lot :) here’s some things to help.

• drink water, hydrated veins are easier to work with and makes the process quicker!

• stay warm, when your cold the veins contract to keep the core warm = arm veins go into hiding

• some people find desensitisation helps, we give people the alcohol wipe squares to practice with as the corners are sharp (but don’t break the skin) and lightly poke themselves with it

• if possible, ask for a blue butterfly, they’ll know what this means. Never straights cause they are awful to work with, very old school

• ask to lie down! We can take blood even if your horizontal and it saves the risk of falling out your seat. The chairs used should have a recline feature for people who do feel faint

• Bring a snack, adrenaline works the body into overdrive and uses up resources. Have it after your appointment

• speak to your blood team, ask them what days/times are most quiet so you don’t have that dreaded waiting period as that anticipation is a major factor. Tell them you get anxious and they can advise you and plan it advance

• some pharmacies may sell numbing cream, you can apply 30mins before your appointment.

Hope this helps! :)
You mentioned nursing school, I am curious, how long is nursing school in the UK?

Avalon wrote:
You mentioned nursing school, I am curious, how long is nursing school in the UK?

It’s 3 years :3
Kim Site Admin

Where do you practice your vampirism? :)

Kim wrote:
Where do you practice your vampirism? :)

So initially I couldn't get a job due to covid and everyone saying no to work experience. Despite them being stretched and understaffed and me literally saying I will work for free. Thankfully I had family willing to let me practice and I worked. I got more practice on a nursing placement and managed to get a trail shift at the hospital my placements are in and now I'm in a hospital in london :)

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA - Working as a vampire

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus