Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Looking for some feedback on a horror chara...

Omhijhast (played by _Skylark_)

TW for body horror.

I love eldritch horror, absurdist horror, and cryptids in general. It was only a matter of time before I tried my hand at making a related character, I guess! That- and I wanted to doodle some crazy anatomy, and this is what happened.

Omhi is partially based off of a Wendigo, but doesn't have any of the lore because they're not technically a Wendigo. This may change, but for now they're their own thing. They're very much a (semi clichè as of yet) blank slate right now, so any feedback or ideas would be welcomed!

Please excuse my awful art on the profile... I only have a mobile phone, a stylus and Medibang right now lmao
BkevH.gif

I heard Eldritch horror and Cryptid, and came running as fast as I could. I'm going to be clear and just say I have no constructive feedback so I'm going to be useless.

So. Sorry in advance.

I really just came here to dote on your new critter because it is a CUTIE. 💞 I mean, it's rightfully creepy, but I have a huge soft spot for otherworldly entities that are "new" and trying to learn from others. They're like giant creepy puppies.

I must say, I really like your take on Omhi being a botched science experiment, it's a refreshing take on eldritch horror! And the fact that it's not inherently "evil"- I just, I love the misunderstood monster trope.

Omhi is a wonderful addition to your cast, and I'm interested in seeing what it becomes, and how others might mold it! Omhi is definitely different compared to the rest of your ensemble, but I think that suits it well. It's so cool. 🥲

We'll just have to make sure we don't gaze into it's third eye though.

(And stop saying your art is bad, or else I'll have to bap you. Your pictures of Omhi are adorable 😭)
Omhijhast (played by _Skylark_) Topic Starter

I'm glad you like them! I've been playing around with the concept for months now haha - what can I say, I just love scary deer 🦌

The concept is definitely something I can see myself having fun with, I wanted a way for RPs to be "canon" for Omhi, so I thought, well, why not make them a literal blank slate 🥲 I didn't really have the heart to make them demonic either, not after drawing their cute lil ears 🥰

Misunderstood monsters are, dare I say, the best kind! I'm glad the concept doesn't come across as, like, clichè. I must admit that I got inspired by seeing so many well-made scientist characters out there, so perhaps there's room for a screwed-up experiment too lol!

I definitely wanted to give folk the chance to have a say in how Omhi develops; I've decided to try and be good and only do one RP at a time with them, in order to keep it chronological, though that may be really difficult and I can see myself failing spectacularly lmao. Either way, it's a neat idea that I'm excited to at least try out!

Haha, aren't they just so different from the rest of my guys! It makes me giggle when I see poor Omhi's icon in there. Especially considering he's a bit of a new concept overall for me! mental note not to let Omhi near Sab if anyone wants to ever understand what they're saying in the end LMAO.

Yeah, I'm not sure what happens if someone does, but I know it isn't... good 😂 I'm looking forward to figuring out some really juicy, weird effects for it.

(haha thank you! As you know I'm... nervous about my art still ;u; But I'm getting braver! Slowly! One day I might even open some free sketches, who knows?)
Interesting character. ;)

If this were my character, I'd actually delve into all the different lore of various cryptids (as few or as many as you'd like) and I'd use what I think would be great and drop what wouldn't really work. For example:

I assume you are familiar with the Jersey Devil? Perhaps you can use that as a sort of start for you're character. Born as a human, grew up, got cursed and now this is what they have become.

Or perhaps you add a twist to the Werewolf myth where you're character has a human form but they change into that monster in you're bio every full moon. Or perhaps its the reverse. They change into a human being every full moon.

Perhaps you're character could temporary change into any animal in order to hunt or spy on humans.

Anyways, I hope this helps. ^_^

-Knight- wrote:

If this were my character, I'd actually delve into all the different lore of various cryptids (as few or as many as you'd like) and I'd use what I think would be great and drop what wouldn't really work. For example:

I assume you are familiar with the Jersey Devil? Perhaps you can use that as a sort of start for you're character. Born as a human, grew up, got cursed and now this is what they have become.

Or perhaps you add a twist to the Werewolf myth where you're character has a human form but they change into that monster in you're bio every full moon. Or perhaps its the reverse. They change into a human being every full moon.

Thanks, I'm warming up to them bit by bit! It's a really new direction on my end, so I'm hoping it turns out okay and not horribly lmao.

I really like those ideas, thank you! I definitely want to play around with things, and I think they'll change quite a lot. Everything on there at the moment is pretty much just me messing around haha! The Jersey Devil is an interesting one - I'm not entirely sure about the lore, but I'll definitely do some reading. I think my main worry was taking too much inspiration, or accidentally using lore that's problematic or something 🥲
Omhijhast wrote:
-Knight- wrote:

Thanks, I'm warming up to them bit by bit! It's a really new direction on my end, so I'm hoping it turns out okay and not horribly lmao.

I really like those ideas, thank you! I definitely want to play around with things, and I think they'll change quite a lot. Everything on there at the moment is pretty much just me messing around haha! The Jersey Devil is an interesting one - I'm not entirely sure about the lore, but I'll definitely do some reading. I think my main worry was taking too much inspiration, or accidentally using lore that's problematic or something 🥲

Anytime! ;)

If you're worried about accidentally using lore that might be problematic, you could always make you're own lore. And if you're not really good at that, you can challenge yourself with a fun activity by trying you're hand at it. I'd say you are already off to a great start. ^_^
Wheeee I'm back again, with things to throw at you.✨
_Skylark_ wrote:
I'm glad you like them! I've been playing around with the concept for months now haha - what can I say, I just love scary deer 🦌

The concept is definitely something I can see myself having fun with, I wanted a way for RPs to be "canon" for Omhi, so I thought, well, why not make them a literal blank slate 🥲 I didn't really have the heart to make them demonic either, not after drawing their cute lil ears 🥰

Misunderstood monsters are, dare I say, the best kind! I'm glad the concept doesn't come across as, like, clichè. I must admit that I got inspired by seeing so many well-made scientist characters out there, so perhaps there's room for a screwed-up experiment too lol!

I definitely wanted to give folk the chance to have a say in how Omhi develops; I've decided to try and be good and only do one RP at a time with them, in order to keep it chronological, though that may be really difficult and I can see myself failing spectacularly lmao. Either way, it's a neat idea that I'm excited to at least try out!

Haha, aren't they just so different from the rest of my guys! It makes me giggle when I see poor Omhi's icon in there. Especially considering he's a bit of a new concept overall for me! mental note not to let Omhi near Sab if anyone wants to ever understand what they're saying in the end LMAO.

Yeah, I'm not sure what happens if someone does, but I know it isn't... good 😂 I'm looking forward to figuring out some really juicy, weird effects for it.

(haha thank you! As you know I'm... nervous about my art still ;u; But I'm getting braver! Slowly! One day I might even open some free sketches, who knows?)

I like that concept! Clay-like characters aren't something I see that often. I've always been fond of characters that are crafted from their experiences and the people they meet, and how every little thing can have an effect on them. It definitely leaves a lot of roleplay opportunities open for you!

Agreed! And I don't think it's clichè at all! If anything, I think it is severely underused nowadays. Mean monsters are great in their own right, but sometimes you just want to see something that doesn't want to kill everything outright.

All I can say is, best of luck with taking one roleplay at a time. 😂 If you do find yourself taking more than one, you can always just organize them by what chronologically makes sense in Omhi's timeline! That's what I do with my scenes since they're usually canon for my characters. It's something that will kind of work itself out, if need be!

Omhi's profile definitely is a standout, you have an imposter among your ranks! Oh no, but also, having a menacing deer-thing suddenly go "Ayup m'duck ◉⏑◉ ✨" is so funny. I can see Jack coming home with Omhi in tow and all like, I found this weird dog out back, can we keep it?

I agree with Knight about crafting your own lore! Thats what I've done with my monsters. It would leave lots of wiggle room for continuity, with any changes Omhi might go through. The only rules are the ones that you make! I'm going to piggyback off of some of Knight's ideas if that's okay!

I figured I would slingshot some things at you, to help, if you need them, but I also kind of like that Omhi is a blank slate. It could work as a creature that is meant to be discovered in its own time, and not have any clear origins right away. Like, not only do other characters get to learn about what it is and why it exists, but Omhi gets to learn too.

Ooblek Deer

My love for the Alien prequels and sequels are probably going to shine through here, I'm sorry ;_;

And like, hopefully some of this makes sense, my brain has been running in circles today.

-Omhi was an experiment later discovered and deemed "unstable", and was therefore discarded for safety. Proper precautions when discarding it were never taken, so the experiment found it's way into the wild (maybe it was a parasitic thing, and took a deer as host later, effectively changing it into what it is now and becoming one entity of it's own.) So like, John Carpenter's, The Thing, except it doesn't want to kill everyone.

-Alternativley, Omhi didn't come out the way that it's creator planned, and abandoned the creation mistaking it for a failure. Abandoned at "birth", if you will, now Omhi has to grow and learn on its own.

-Along the same lines as above, Ohmi was a fallow deer intentionally being tested on, something got screwed up, scientists tossed it out and went, NEXT.

-Ohmi is a creature of its own, formed by combined blood- one part unknown, the other fallow deer. It's base form was like the ichor that makes up it's blood and antler; a non-newtonian fluid that retains some memory of it's former origins, which is why it adopts a deer-like appearance. Omhi may not remember what it used to be, but its cells (or whatever you want to call it) sort of do! Maybe this can open up some opportunities for Omhi to "evolve" or mutate. Like some sort of Pokemon from your nightmares. Omhi I choose you!

-If you're interested in more occult-type origins rather than fresh out of the laboratory, then perhaps Omhi could have been a botched vessel for a eldritch god or demon/ doomsday weapon/ harbinger of evil. Plenty of room for spooky cults and witchcraft to come into play here.

-As for his third eye, maybe it gives direct insight into Omhi's thoughts/memories you stare into it and you get rickrolled. Or, it shows the gazer premonitions of their future, but only the worst parts of it (or what people perceive to be bad). Therefore this makes people afraid of it, and maybe that is the cause for the rumor of it's eye granting wishes.

-Staring at the eye for too long may cause madness or a gradual loss of humanity? Like Stephen King's Deadlights? Perhaps this is something Omhi is unconscious of, and often causes unintentional harm as a result of not knowing what it is fully capable of.

Also, if you're ever interested in getting Omhi some fellow cryptid buddies, or even wanting a little tree for him to sort of sprout from, feel free to reach out!

(Little steps! Putting your work in your character profiles is a great way to get more comfortable. You'll have to tell me if you ever decide to open up sketches! >.>)

Thank you!! 🥲

Yeah, it's definitely something that I've not seen much either. A few folks have done it really well by the looks of it though, and I'm hoping I can join those ranks lmao. That, and I reckon it'll be really fun - I have no clue which direction Omhi will go in or how they'll end up, which is a neat concept for me!

Yeah, I love aggressive cryptids but I just don't think it's my style! I'm just a sucker for scary things/creatures/people that are actually just big sweethearts haha. Hopefully Omhi won't get too corrupted 👀

Yeah, that's probably the best way to do it! I can see myself getting excited and diving in at the deep end, haha! I'll likely work out a timeline as things move along.

They're definitely suspicious 👀 I've been dreaming about my characters recently, and now I'm kinda hoping Omhi doesn't come up in that cause it'll be creepy as all heck 😂 god forbid, lol. Jack would definitely go the "weird dog" route and I'm not entirely sure Omhi is house trained yet 🥲 not certain if the East Mids has any cryptids of their own - though, there's a lot of ghost stories - so maybe Omhi would be welcomed 😂

Yeah, I think my own lore is the way to go. I love worldbuilding, I'm just always questioning myself! So, this will be a great exercise ☺️ I've read through the ideas too and I have some replies which I'll put...

...under this cut here!
I've never seen Alien myself - any of them - but I've heard very good things! I might give them a watch. And don't worry, they make perfect sense!

So first and foremost, I'm so torn between Omhi's origin being "unethical science experiments on wild animals" or "nerfed eldrich creature gone wrong". They were both ideas that I had when I made the profile, so I'm glad you've brought them up! Perhaps it's a case of Omhi was meant to be aggressive, but something just didn't go quite right. Part of me thinks the first thing they encountered when they were "born" was general negativity, people being disappointed in them... Maybe one of the reasons it fled? If it even fled at all - maybe, like you say, it was just released and dumped somewhere because it was essentially useless ;-; poor Omhi.

Another thing I'm toying with, partly inspired by your parasite idea here tbf haha - what if there's actually multiple entities in one body? Like, the actual deer side - but then, yeah, the 'intelligent' side making Omhi capable of learning and picking things up so quickly. Perhaps the two are even kind of at war, so to speak? I can imagine there'll be a lot of conflicting behaviour the more that Omhi picks up from others, even if that's just weird animal/humanoid behaviours lol. I'm really looking forward to playing around with it all!

I really do like the idea of Omhi just being a black, Newtonian mass beneath everything else. Like, that's just its base form. Omhi lies down for too long and just melts into a puddle of black tar for the duration of its nap 😂 But, like you said, able to evolve and mutate as time goes on!

Regarding the third eye, too... definitely fits with what I was thinking! Cuz there's nothing more horrifying than a rickroll, lmao- but in all seriousness, something akin to the Deadlights - gradual madness, perhaps some sort of assimilation. Though, hopefully Omhi won't go the whole hog and end up taken down by a bunch of kids with a baseball bat LMAO

Thanks for all the ideas too, I really appreciate em! They're super inspiring and I'm really beginning to get a picture of Omhi as a concept by now 👀 I definitely will once I start to use them proper, I reckon some Cryptid buddies would be right up Omhi's street!

(thank you, I'll definitely add more the more I feel confident! If I ever do open em up, I'll definitely let you know 🥲)

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Looking for some feedback on a horror chara...

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus