Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Share your writing tips & advices... ✍️

Astrobeans wrote:
Wow, all of this valueful writing advice. It's a treasure chest!
Ah, ill-temperedness, my oldest friend. I have it myself, and can blow up (not literally) at times. Here are some different ways one might use it in writing:

1. A character could be both ill-tempered, and not the type to hold grudges. Either, they view holding grudges too bothersome or have a tendency to forget what they were mad about.

2. Ill-temperedness can be used as a insecurity. A character can worry if they blow up at the wrong person or if their anger will scare the ones they care about.

3. Anger management/therapy isn't a magical goodbye anger place, but it can help someone. One can be forced to do it, or they choose to do it out of free will or another's encouragement.

4. Ill-tempered people ain't always the mean bully; they can be the sweetest person and still be short-tempered.

5. Ill-temperedness doesn't equal no self-restraint. Examples are not making a big scene, attempting to calm down, or not cussing if the character is a prude about swearing usually.

6. Ill-temperedness isn't a toxic trait. Yes, it could lead to abuse or the person doing/saying something they didn't mean, but it is not something that should be looked at like a poisonous thing. Personally, I dealt with people telling me that being ill-tempered is a bad thing or a red flag.

7. The character doesn't have to get angry at every single thing. There could be some things that they can be quite chill about.
Now, I am no expert on people so don't take this as a guide to deal with a ill-tempered person.
Why must you must you describe me in almost every number lol
Thunderbird wrote:
Astrobeans wrote:
Wow, all of this valueful writing advice. It's a treasure chest!
Ah, ill-temperedness, my oldest friend. I have it myself, and can blow up (not literally) at times. Here are some different ways one might use it in writing:

1. A character could be both ill-tempered, and not the type to hold grudges. Either, they view holding grudges too bothersome or have a tendency to forget what they were mad about.

2. Ill-temperedness can be used as a insecurity. A character can worry if they blow up at the wrong person or if their anger will scare the ones they care about.

3. Anger management/therapy isn't a magical goodbye anger place, but it can help someone. One can be forced to do it, or they choose to do it out of free will or another's encouragement.

4. Ill-tempered people ain't always the mean bully; they can be the sweetest person and still be short-tempered.

5. Ill-temperedness doesn't equal no self-restraint. Examples are not making a big scene, attempting to calm down, or not cussing if the character is a prude about swearing usually.

6. Ill-temperedness isn't a toxic trait. Yes, it could lead to abuse or the person doing/saying something they didn't mean, but it is not something that should be looked at like a poisonous thing. Personally, I dealt with people telling me that being ill-tempered is a bad thing or a red flag.

7. The character doesn't have to get angry at every single thing. There could be some things that they can be quite chill about.
Now, I am no expert on people so don't take this as a guide to deal with a ill-tempered person.
Why must you must you describe me in almost every number lol
barbie-just-like-you.gif

I just want to bring some awareness for ill-tempered peeps and those who may struggle writing them lol
Coming in a bit late here but man this was a great forum to go through. I gotta try the playlist idea!

Only advice I got is general writing advice;
When in doubt or trying to match length, imagine the characters 5 senses in that scene. What can they hear? Smell? Feel? etc. This helps me write way too much LOL

Also much yes for telling rp partners if something in the rp is bugging or you don't like a response. I struggle to do this, but also, I hate the feeling that the other might dislike something I've written and won't tell me. It's actually kinder to be honest in the end!
DumboOctopus Topic Starter

dizzzy wrote:
Only advice I got is general writing advice;
When in doubt or trying to match length, imagine the characters 5 senses in that scene. What can they hear? Smell? Feel? etc. This helps me write way too much LOL
Yes! I also use this method sometimes, hehe. It also helps me with visualizing the scene and getting more in-character.

Here goes yet another writing tip from me, I wanted to share it a few days ago but sadly, I forgot. :(

Important NPCs. Consider putting meaningful, important NPCs in your roleplay. Since I began to give my NPCs a bigger impact on characters, the plots went wild and burst with emotions. Before that, my RPs were mainly based on two main characters (mine & my rp partner's) & their development, occasionally some bad guys to deal with, a sidekick, or a rival.

However, I decided to give my characters family, friends, enemies, and even beloved pets that actually impact the MCs in more ways than just saying "Hi there, [MC1]! How are doing? Good? Alright then, bye, have fun with [MC2]" and then leaving and never appearing again.

I always ask my RP partners beforehand, but I actually love to add some drama by, for example, making my character come to an event upset because their roommate made them angry in the morning. It gives possibilities of a fight, an argument, or maybe a positive relationship development.

That's a thing that really helped me with giving some additional action to the RPs. It's not for everyone, but in my case, it was really helpful :)
DumboOctopus wrote:
Important NPCs. Consider putting meaningful, important NPCs in your roleplay. Since I began to give my NPCs a bigger impact on characters, the plots went wild and burst with emotions. Before that, my RPs were mainly based on two main characters (mine & my rp partner's) & their development, occasionally some bad guys to deal with, a sidekick, or a rival.

However, I decided to give my characters family, friends, enemies, and even beloved pets that actually impact the MCs in more ways than just saying "Hi there, [MC1]! How are doing? Good? Alright then, bye, have fun with [MC2]" and then leaving and never appearing again.

Ooooh, so good! I'm gonna keep this in mind as well XD
Mesond

oven wrote:
READ 8D

can't grow veggies without dirt, no good dirt without digested veggies. feed your braincow good veggies, let that cow chew, ruminate, digest --

eventually you'll have good dirt to harvest new and different veggies from!

it's an apt metaphor because yes, we all have to write like crap before we can cultivate something better. just keep readfeeding that braincow, especially in times of writer's block, and you'll have a veritable plot of... plots.

In other words, writers block will happen. Write crap. Keep writing whatever comes to mind. Improve and spellcheck/proof read.

If you want to make the best of roleplay then deal with the worst. Work for it. It's not always fun and games. Accept the worst. Improve and adapt. Learn to make the best from that.

It can also help to mute as a character. Focuses more on doing and action. When characters are more talk then action then that's like small talk with people just standing around and not doing anything meaningful. I'm a dragon of action. DO things.

Also, get into the hard topics ASAP. The difficult topics people don't like to hear. Get that out of the way ASAP. The out of control situations happen later if not addressed now. So may as well get it out of the way and focus on the best of things after. I've always had the best roleplays when getting into arguments. If you don't argue with people then you never got to know them. Let alone their characters.
Some good advice here! My tip comes from a different angle, and that is writing for others to enjoy. Having worked for an online publication, a key part of writing publicly is the presentation. No need to be a grammar-cop, but put some effort into it. Along with this is the visual presentation. The use of double-space paragraph breaks so there is a visible gap between them makes readability on a screen so much easier. Decent punctuation also helps in readability.

And I so agree with the advice on NPCs. I have done this almost since I started roleplaying online back in 2011, and have created some awesome characters from some of them. Marionne is an example. She started as an intermittent radio 'voice' in an RP, and is now a full-fledged radio personality character of mine!

The biggest tip I can give is to have fun. If the writing becomes more of a chore or obligation than something enjoyable, it's best to take a break. Sometimes time away gives one a different perspective and can come back reinvigorated.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Share your writing tips & advices... ✍️

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus