Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Traditional Media

Sanne Moderator

I'd like to get back into sketching on paper, but it's been a while since I've bought any supplies for it. Does anyone have any tips on which paper you prefer and what kind of pencils you use? Brand names are nice, but since I'm Dutch it may not be possible for me to get the same brands here (for the same price).
Yuka

I just use any old pencil, printer paper and then for inking, a fountain pen <,< Brands are too expensive for me to constantly replace.
I just use a regular ol sketch pad. 9x11 inch paper size. Pencil wise. I like using mechanical pencils. As for inking...well I don't really ink my drawings but I'll agree with Senny on saying that fountain pens are good for it. I don't think brands really matter though they do have their own separate pros and cons. Far as I'm concerned, give me the tools I need regardless of brand and I'll be happy.
Kim Site Admin

I'm not too hung up on brands, but I do feel very strongly that I need a full set of pencils from 2H all the way up to 8B. I seem to wear down my 4B, 5B and 6B all the time and have to replace them much more often than the others, but I still want to have the other choices available when I'm seriously working.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Seconding Lance: I work on a good-quality sketchpad (I think all mine are Strathmore brand), recycled if possible, not too expensive, 9x11 inch size. If we're talking stuff that needs crisp lines and possible inking, like illustrations, then I sketch with a mechanical pencil. On anything that won't be scanned and cleaned up digitally, I prefer to use normal pencils--generally just HB. (I don't shade much in graphite anymore. :() I find that mechanical pencils can dent the surface of paper if you accidentally press too hard (which I am wont to do, occasionally). Their lines are also very homogenous and thin... so if that's what you want, they're great. But if I need to vary your pencil line weights, I use a normal pencil.
Any old paper that doesn't have lines all over it works for me, but I've been using sketch pads a lot recently. I'm also going to suggest mechanical pencils, I love using them. :3
Heimdall wrote:
Seconding Lance: I work on a good-quality sketchpad (I think all mine are Strathmore brand)

I just use a cheap one from my local dollar store. North American Paper Incorperated.
I love mechanical pencils! but like Kim I love having some other options, my 3 and 6 b always go first :) As for paper, anything that's blank ;) lol my fave white erasers are staedtler,
For sketchpads I generally go for Strathmore or Canson brands. One or the other tends to be on sale at local arts and crafts stores and the tooth is pretty good either way. My go-to pencil is a Staedler or Zebra 0.5mm mechanical pencil although I have a small collection of wood Derwent and Staedler pencils in different lead hardnesses. My preferred lead is 2H because I like smoother, cleaner, lighter lines for sketching so I can erase cleanly and get fine details in without losing clarity. I always use plastic erasers, never rubber or kneaded.

Inking, I typically don't do on sketchpaper and prefer to do on bristol (again, Strathmore or Canson, smooth bristol, 9x12 to 11x17) or watercolor paper. Most of the time I use microns because they're relatively cheap, have a decent range of nib sizes and don't bleed. The archival ink is a bonus but not essential. I also have been known to use my set of Rapidograph technical pens for pure inkwork with india ink, but they're expensive, a hassle to clean and maintain, like to clog and can be messy if they leak.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Traditional Media

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus