Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Is anybody else obsessed with ciphers?

Because I love ciphers. I really, really love ciphers. Anything from morse code to Caesar cipher to ROT13 I just really love using them. One, because they confuse people, two, because it's really just like speaking another language. And I love to learn new languages.

For example, I really like 'Shark' (Enigma M4) with the UKW B thin reflector and gamma for rotor 1 (mostly because of the name 'Shark')
mzij sckl whyi gush jpnm pbie u
But it's so cool, because if you do something as small as changing rotor 3 to VII, it completely changes the cipher so it would take a while for anyone to figure out what cipher you're using
nspr qemk utst aagj gbdj hhym m

And those two ciphers are the same sentence! All I did was switch a rotor, and I just think that's so cool! And I'm slowly teaching myself how to write in ciphers on my own, but for now, this website below is really useful for practically anything. Man, I love it so much ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Sentence: Have the light lilies grown?
Key: 13133
Word= xxxxx

My poor attempt at cipher. Had fun making up our own when me and some friends in high school played 'Spy Game'.
I ended up binge-reading about Morse code as book research a few years ago and got a little too into it...

Also learned some NATO for the same book, though I don't think that's a cipher.

Anyway, they make me feel smart, but I am very stupid so I cannot solve them to save my life haha.
I love ciphers! I have been trying to learn morse code but my brain is too full with random knowledge lol

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Is anybody else obsessed with ciphers?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus