Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » ChatGPT for RP

I started experimenting with using ChatGPT for a variety of RP things.

List generation: Plot seeds, Rumor lists, NPC name generation. I'd say the bulk of the things it gives me don't fit. But it often gives me at least 1 or 2 ideas that I can use!

Find me a newspaper article about 'X'. Since I enjoy incorporating history into my games (and I publish a monthly in-game newspaper), I'm always searching for old newspaper articles! Its access is certainly limited, but it's been able to find me a few interesting things from the 1800s from some of the bigger newspapers like the New York Times.

As a game master. Mostly out of pure curiosity and to perhaps gather some ideas that might be usable in future RPs. It's rather weird to play 'against' a partner that replies within a few seconds! I really like that it suggested 3 potential adventures and let me pick which one I thought sounded most interesting. It has a tendency to write dialog for my character - which I'm not sure that I love, but it does really help move the story along. I'm not very far in, but will include it here in case you're curious!

The RP so far

ChatGPT: To get started, let's set the scene for our first encounter. Frank has just arrived at the ranch and has been introduced to the rancher, his wife, and his foreman. As Frank looks around the property, he begins to sense that something isn't quite right. He can't put his finger on it, but there's a feeling of unease in the air.

As the sun begins to set, the rancher invites Frank to dinner with his family and staff. As they sit down to eat, the rancher begins to discuss the recent cattle mutilations and expresses his hope that Frank will be able to solve the mystery.

What does Frank do or say in response to the rancher's request? How does he approach the situation, given his previous experience with cattle and his gut feeling about the ranch?

Juls: Dinner with the rancher and his wife - well, that was sure a nice treat and Frank thanks them both for the invitation. "I'll sure try. You have any ranch hands stayin' with the herd at night? Think I'd like to join 'em tonight if that's alright."

As he makes the request, he glances around the table to see if anyone seems uncomfortable.

ChatGPT: The rancher nods at Frank's request and responds, "Of course, we have a couple of cowboys on watch every night. They could probably use the extra pair of eyes." The rancher's wife seems nervous at the mention of the mutilations, but the foreman just shrugs and says, "I don't know what all the fuss is about. Just a couple of cows getting picked off. It's no big deal."

As the conversation continues, Frank continues to take note of everyone's reactions. He senses that the foreman is hiding something, and the rancher's wife seems genuinely scared. Frank decides to take a more subtle approach, using his charm and intuition to gather more information without tipping his hand.

"I'd be happy to help keep an eye on the herd," Frank says with a smile. "But maybe before I head out for the night, you could show me around the property a bit more? Get a lay of the land and see if there's anything else that might be out of place?"

Juls: After dinner, Frank readies his trusty mare, Apple Pie. She's getting a little long in the tooth now at 13 years old, but she's still in good shape and the best cattle horse he's ever had the pleasure of owning. Out of the Steel Dust line - a line that would eventually become the American Quarter Horse.

"Been just the cows gettin' attacked? How about the steers? Any calves?" he prompts the foreman.

Since the risk of some wild predator seems high, Frank double checks his rifle that is holstered on the saddle. It's ready to go. And his six shooter worn on his belt. Just in case.

Then swings himself up into the saddle with an ease that suggests he's done that a few thousand times in his life.

ChatGPT: As Frank swings himself onto his trusty mare, Apple Pie, he senses the foreman is a bit guarded in his response. "So far, it's only been the cows that we've noticed," the foreman replies, eyeing Frank carefully.

Frank nods thoughtfully, taking note of the foreman's guarded response. He suspects that there's more going on here than anyone is letting on, but he's not yet sure what it is.

As Frank and the foreman ride out to the edge of the property, Frank keeps a watchful eye on the cattle, taking note of their behavior and any signs of disturbance in the surrounding area. As they ride, Frank continues to ask the foreman questions about the mutilations and any other odd occurrences on the ranch.

By the time they make it back to the main house, Frank has a feeling that he's onto something, but he's not yet sure what it is. He decides to spend the rest of the night out in the field, watching the cattle and trying to get a sense of what might be going on. As he heads out, he turns back to the foreman.

"I appreciate your help showing me around," Frank says, his tone polite but guarded. "But I have a feeling that there's more going on here than meets the eye. And I'm going to find out what it is."

So... what have you used AI to do for RP? Any tips or tricks that you've learned to make it give better results?
Claine Moderator

I tried it to brainstorm for a personal writing project. However I didn't find it super helpful because I was obviously treading into areas which it had been programmed to avoid. However, I had better luck asking it something like:

Tell me a story about a princess who is smuggled to safety from of a tyrannical dictator.

Rather than asking

Please tell me about smuggling methodology.

Even with the first question, it still hardly provided anything useful XD And quite often, once it reached the point of actual smuggling then erase what it had written so far and provide a canned error response. Guess I gotta do it the old fashioned way with research and using the head-juice.
Me and a friend tried using it for brainstorming for our comic series.
Stuff like character names, scene ideas, dialgue prompts. It's not very good but it helps turn on our creative juices somehow?

Had a simular experience to the person above, when we asked it for insults a character might use it gave us a speech about why we shouldn't insult others hahaha XD
The various ways to gather and come up with ideas via the internet are remarkable! However, I want to make sure anyone using or thinking about using chatgtp is aware of the amount of water that was used for training the ai, and how much water is used when you use chatgtp.

https://gizmodo.com/chatgpt-ai-water-185000-gallons-training-nuclear-1850324249
Juls Topic Starter

Claine wrote:
And quite often, once it reached the point of actual smuggling then erase what it had written so far and provide a canned error response. Guess I gotta do it the old fashioned way with research and using the head-juice.

I haven't run into an error where it deletes the previous text of the response yet - though I'm using it through a discord server that has implemented it through the API, so I wonder if that's something the folks responsible for this particular implementation took into account.

dizzzy wrote:
Had a simular experience to the person above, when we asked it for insults a character might use it gave us a speech about why we shouldn't insult others hahaha XD

Ha! I wonder if there's a way to trick it.

Overall though, I agree - so far it hasn't give me many ideas that I plan to use directly, but sometimes it does help to push my train of thought in another direction.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » ChatGPT for RP

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus