Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Have any advice?

Dario Aiello (played anonymously)

Ah- I didn't expect I'd need to do this....I thought I made my character 'Dario' really cool looking.

But I'm not really getting any bites and I'm not sure why? Maybe not a lot of people aren't interested in a Street-Artist type Character? Or maybe its his gender Identity?

But uh. I really wanna use him for something, so I figured that you lovely people could give me some tips on how to make his profile more inviting? I try not to make backgrounds or anything because I find its even harder to get people to be interested (Or they just don't read them in general.) But if that's what is causing the lack of interest then I'll gladly slap it on there.

Sorry if it's a bit dumb or a waste of time. ^^'

- One very Mentally underestimated Writer
heya - Dario looks great!

I would not worry! I find that the kind of ads that pop up and the people looking for those stories come in waves and rotate. A few months ago, there were multiple threads like this for people looking for fandom RPs and not getting any bites. Since then there have been plenty of users looking for the exact same thing. What you're putting down is probably very interesting to someone who's just not around at the moment!

I would also mention that there are a subset of users, like myself, who are less likely to respond because you're on anon. Just a preference thing, especially for any 18+ rps.

good luck!
Dario Aiello (played anonymously) Topic Starter

silentruth wrote:
heya - Dario looks great!

I would not worry! I find that the kind of ads that pop up and the people looking for those stories come in waves and rotate. A few months ago, there were multiple threads like this for people looking for fandom RPs and not getting any bites. Since then there have been plenty of users looking for the exact same thing. What you're putting down is probably very interesting to someone who's just not around at the moment!

I would also mention that there are a subset of users, like myself, who are less likely to respond because you're on anon. Just a preference thing, especially for any 18+ rps.

good luck!

Ah! I didn't even take into consideration that the interests of plots and the type of plots come in waves or rotate through out the year. (I'm not new to RP, just kind of dense sometimes.) I'll hold out hope for Dario then and just work on other projects in the meantime.

I'll also work on getting more comfortable with not being on Anon if that's another thing driving people away. x.x
Hey!
I agree with Silentruth, anon characters can attract fewer people.
About his gender identity - sadly, some people might find him less "RPable" due to a "private parts" preference or lack of attraction towards transgender people. It's not a hatred thing, it's a preference, we all have some.
But if someone rejects him because they hate trans people, then, in my opinion, it's even better to not RP with a bigoted person, no matter if their writing is good or bad.
Another thing may be the fact that his profile is kinda "messy". Not ugly, but a bit chaotic at some points.
Here are some tips from me on how to make his profile more attractive:
  • Try to make a widget for playstyle preferences! IC and OOC stuff, Always/Yes/Ask/No type of chart. The "Extra bits" page would be good for it.
  • Instead of saying that his personality is "like a dog's", you can try something like "Doglike; energetic, playful [insert some personality traits]", it's more transparent and gives less reading. (Unless you actually want your profile to be full of writing, then I can give other tips)
  • Maybe give a brief explanation of where the RP would take place. Some reference photos/drawings of the city he lives in, something to establish the mood?
  • I think that you can put the content warning in a widget on top of one page OR put it in the content warning section that shows up before you enter the profile.
  • Perhaps make a separate section about his gender identity? Not a whole page, just a widget on "overall details" with some info. I think this will make the page more aesthetic and arranged. It's a broad topic and might be less or more important for the character lore.
  • Same for the "more +18" info! I personally always preferred to put any +18 details separately to avoid drastic changes in writing tone. Not sure if it will work for you, tho. ;)
I couldn't really come up with more tips, but if you want to ask about anything more, HMU here or in DMs, and I am way more than welcome to help you. :) And remember, it's still your character, you decide how his profile looks, how he looks, and who he is. I think he is a very interesting character, and you shouldn't worry if he is "not good enough", as for me he is a really cool character, he just needs some more info on his profile, as well as some "rearrangement" to make his profile more clear.
Hihi!

I think that this is a lovely character!! As a transmasc person, I find it refreshing to see a character who explicitly hasn't had surgery yet or who has decided not to go the surgery route (like me). Personally, I don't feel that information needs to be treated any differently than any other information you want to communicate about your character. I see that it's under a heading of it's own, and I like that you have acknowledged it as "personal," because it is. Just like it is a trans persons' prerogative not to talk about what's going on downstairs, it is also their freedom and right to share it up front if they wish. Although, to remain within the site's rules, you might want to put a content warning on the page to avoid any misunderstandings.

While it is true that some people will find him less roleplayable because he doesn't have the genitalia they prefer, this is their problem. It's better to separate these players immediately rather than get into discussions with them about starting a story, only to find out later that they're squicked by trans bodies.

Moving on! One suggestion I have for your profile is that you give credit to the artists whose art you used. Not everyone can afford to commission custom pieces for their OCs, which is totally fine. However, there is also a subset of players, like myself, who avoid players who don't credit artists. Nobody's perfect. I'm still going through a lot of the pieces I own to put credits on them. Just a small line under the art saying where it came from might attract more potential partners.

You're doing great! I'm sure you'll find a partner soon. Please feel free to DM if you want to talk further! I love writing and talking about constructing profiles, as well as anything and everything relating to the transmasc experience.

DumboOctopus wrote:
Hey!
I agree with Silentruth, anon characters can attract fewer people.
About his gender identity - sadly, some people might find him less "RPable" due to a "private parts" preference or lack of attraction towards transgender people. It's not a hatred thing, it's a preference, we all have some.
But if someone rejects him because they hate trans people, then, in my opinion, it's even better to not RP with a bigoted person, no matter if their writing is good or bad.
Another thing may be the fact that his profile is kinda "messy". Not ugly, but a bit chaotic at some points.
Here are some tips from me on how to make his profile more attractive:
  • Try to make a widget for playstyle preferences! IC and OOC stuff, Always/Yes/Ask/No type of chart. The "Extra bits" page would be good for it.
  • Instead of saying that his personality is "like a dog's", you can try something like "Doglike; energetic, playful [insert some personality traits]", it's more transparent and gives less reading. (Unless you actually want your profile to be full of writing, then I can give other tips)
  • Maybe give a brief explanation of where the RP would take place. Some reference photos/drawings of the city he lives in, something to establish the mood?
  • I think that you can put the content warning in a widget on top of one page OR put it in the content warning section that shows up before you enter the profile.
  • Perhaps make a separate section about his gender identity? Not a whole page, just a widget on "overall details" with some info. I think this will make the page more aesthetic and arranged. It's a broad topic and might be less or more important for the character lore.
  • Same for the "more +18" info! I personally always preferred to put any +18 details separately to avoid drastic changes in writing tone. Not sure if it will work for you, tho. ;)
I couldn't really come up with more tips, but if you want to ask about anything more, HMU here or in DMs, and I am way more than welcome to help you. :) And remember, it's still your character, you decide how his profile looks, how he looks, and who he is. I think he is a very interesting character, and you shouldn't worry if he is "not good enough", as for me he is a really cool character, he just needs some more info on his profile, as well as some "rearrangement" to make his profile more clear.

Oh Jeez! Those are some actually great tips. Dario is more of a chaotic character, but I realized that doesn't necessarily mean his profile has to be all over the place like that. Thanks a lot of the advice :)

winplaceshow wrote:
Hihi!

I think that this is a lovely character!! As a transmasc person, I find it refreshing to see a character who explicitly hasn't had surgery yet or who has decided not to go the surgery route (like me). Personally, I don't feel that information needs to be treated any differently than any other information you want to communicate about your character. I see that it's under a heading of it's own, and I like that you have acknowledged it as "personal," because it is. Just like it is a trans persons' prerogative not to talk about what's going on downstairs, it is also their freedom and right to share it up front if they wish. Although, to remain within the site's rules, you might want to put a content warning on the page to avoid any misunderstandings.

While it is true that some people will find him less roleplayable because he doesn't have the genitalia they prefer, this is their problem. It's better to separate these players immediately rather than get into discussions with them about starting a story, only to find out later that they're squicked by trans bodies.

Moving on! One suggestion I have for your profile is that you give credit to the artists whose art you used. Not everyone can afford to commission custom pieces for their OCs, which is totally fine. However, there is also a subset of players, like myself, who avoid players who don't credit artists. Nobody's perfect. I'm still going through a lot of the pieces I own to put credits on them. Just a small line under the art saying where it came from might attract more potential partners.

You're doing great! I'm sure you'll find a partner soon. Please feel free to DM if you want to talk further! I love writing and talking about constructing profiles, as well as anything and everything relating to the transmasc experience.

Oh shoot, yeah. I definitely am going to credit the art to the best of my abilities. I can see how that kinda turns people away. But yeah, I know that its better to be honest from the start x.x The last thing I want is like you said A plot gets started only for it to be dropped due to the person being squicked by trans bodies.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Have any advice?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus