Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Awkward situations

Casey Sullivan (played anonymously)

I'm using a character to post this simply due to the embarrassment of the situation. Hopefully that's alright. x.x

Have you ever misjudged the timing of the replies for an RP and now regret it? It's not to the level where I'm going to dump the plots or anything. Just curious.

For example, if you said that you're alright with a reply every week or so. But then you end up responding as soon as you see the notification that they responded to the RP even though it took the person a week or two to respond. (Basically like the SpongeBob mailbox meme.) You end up getting embarrassed since even though you're excited for the RP, you know its just going to be another week or two till the next response from them.

Am I the only person who's done this? Or am I just overthinking things? X.X
I'd say overthinking. I am quite similar with personal messages at times. I sometimes reply pretty near to instantly if I am available to, but I always emphasise that just because I reply fast, does not mean that the person I am conversing with has to.
ain't awkward to be excited for something
imagine the other way around - you write a response, and your partner sends one back right away - isn't that... good? like your response gave them an idea right away. now you have a whole week to think of your next one, so it's really good too

Plus, it takes time for your writing partner to think about and write their response too. the earlier you give them your response, the more time they get.
I agree with Faded and Silent 100%. I'm in your situation a lot OP, especially since I don't work and a lot of my friends/RP partners/etc. do. I've learned over time that I'm a lot more critical, judgmental, and mean about myself than other people really have the spare effort to be, most of the time. People don't think nearly as much about your actions or their implications as you do, which is a great thing! Lol. I'm pretty sure your partner doesn't mind, and if they do, that's pretty weird.
silentruth wrote:
imagine the other way around - you write a response, and your partner sends one back right away - isn't that... good?
I especially agree with this. When it comes to longer form RP, I sometimes require 2+ weeks to push out a reply. Even still, every time I get a quick response from somebody, even if I don't have the time or brainpower to reply right away, it makes me all the more excited for the RP, because I know my partner is into it, too. Not that long response times indicate the opposite, or anything--it's just nice to see someone care to sit down and respond right away. So long as you've established that it's fine for the partner to take longer, there should really be no issue. ^_^

I know it's hard to just accept that it's not embarrassing when it feels embarrassing, but trust me, I'm usually a very fast responder conversationally, and I often reply quickly in RP too, and all the embarrassment I've felt over it has been for nothing. I don't think anyone has even pointed it out to me, even though I've been like this forever. Again: People do not think about your actions as much as you do! I'd say you're overthinking, coming from another overthinker, lol.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Awkward situations

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus