Skip to main content

Forums » Help » (Answered) RP'ing Illegal/Extreme Content?

Hello. I have yet to actually use this site, but mainly because I was using it as a hub to host references of my characters. But now that I actually want to expand on a concreted setting, I've been wanting to move my RP server to here for ease of use between myself and my current roleplaying partners.

My only problem with moving here is that at least one of my writing/roleplay projects will cover heavy subjects that characters will be forced to face and will have to either overcome, cope with, or even fail in handling as a tool for storytelling purposes.

I've read all the rules (yes, all), and I understand that content in the public eye must be PG-13ish while private groups are allowed to have more mature roleplays, including gore and sexual content so long as the nature of the roleplay have been disclosed to all parties involved and that the players consent to participation. I've also done a quick search for a few keywords and found several roleplays that do contain content considered real-life crimes or actual heavy, sensitive topics.

Basically, I'm more or less looking to double-check what I've picked up so far:

While OOC/IRL illegal/extreme content on the site is (understandably and thankfully) disallowed, it is completely allowed within private IC/RP groups and forums so long as there is a disclosure? I was going to have a rule where the group itself would have a general warning about content while individual planned scenes or posts will be made to have more specific warnings. Correct?

Thanks in advance for answering, I just wanted either reassurance or a correction before I made the big move to here to avoid any messes.
Generally that stuff is legal in PM rps or in private groups.

In addition while you can rp extreme stuff, you can't make a detailed ad for it. Basically you would have to offer a vague phrase like hard core smut and then ask people to pm you to discuss or offer an F list. You can't describe in gritty details what you want within the ad itself.

I did point this post to the mods since I figure they can offer a more in-depth explanation then I can.
N9inb0x Topic Starter

Katia wrote:
I did point this post to the mods since I figure they can offer a more in-depth explanation then I can.

Thank you for the answer and help. I just now realized the "request mod" button lol
Claine Moderator

Hi there :) You seem to pretty much have it correct!

Almost all topics can be RPed in private parts on the site - such as in groups or DMs. Groups and character profiles can marked with any number of our three standard warnings "Violence" "Nudity and Sexual Content" and "Strong language" and if needed, a Custom warning can can also be used. This is because users will receive a warning OR must select the option in their comfort and privacy settings to waive these warnings. This means that players will have an understanding of what is present in the profile or group, and have to agree to viewing the content beforehand. So if you wanted to create a group with extreme content, you are welcome to do so as long as proper warnings are put in place.

As previously mentioned, to keep the site safe and legal for everyone, we do not allow characters below the age of 18 in sexual situations in any part of the site. It sometimes comes as a surprise of how strict we are at this, because we also disallow a lot of common loopholes.
N9inb0x Topic Starter

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I just wanted to be thorough because some of the things that my project will bring up are pretty heavy topics.
Claine wrote:
As previously mentioned, to keep the site safe and legal for everyone, we do not allow characters below the age of 18 in sexual situations in any part of the site. It sometimes comes as a surprise of how strict we are at this, because we also disallow a lot of common loopholes.

Honestly when I passed over the rule about minor-aged characters being in sexual situations, I wasn't surprised but instead rather relieved that this site was restricting such content. I understand very well and deeply respect the decision, especially from a moral standpoint. The only thing that comes to a surprise to me about it is that others are surprised about the seriousness of that rule.

As reassurance, I had absolutely zero intention of even approaching that sort of content. But I also understand that as staff it's a part of your duty to make certain that the point gets across to people, be it me or others reading this thread for safety's sake. And I genuinely thank you for being diligent with such a serious thing.

Now that my question has been answered, I suppose I have a lot of work to do with setting up my group and moving my server here. Much appreciated!
Claine wrote:
Hi there :) You seem to pretty much have it correct!

Almost all topics can be RPed in private parts on the site - such as in groups or DMs. Groups and character profiles can marked with any number of our three standard warnings "Violence" "Nudity and Sexual Content" and "Strong language" and if needed, a Custom warning can can also be used. This is because users will receive a warning OR must select the option in their comfort and privacy settings to waive these warnings. This means that players will have an understanding of what is present in the profile or group, and have to agree to viewing the content beforehand. So if you wanted to create a group with extreme content, you are welcome to do so as long as proper warnings are put in place.

Thank you Claine for going over this! As a member who runs a group where extreme content may be possible, I have asked, and have had answered these questions. It is good to get a reassurance on these matters.

My tips for anyone who plans on creating and running a group that may or will contain extreme content are the following...
• Set all your user profile 'Comfort and Privacy' settings to 18+ Adult Only.
• Set all your group and character profile warnings with a tick. This includes the custom warning. Put text in the custom text box something like this: Possible triggering themes - extremely foul language, erotic sexual descriptions and graphics, and physical abuse may be contained in this profile. By choosing to view this profile, you are giving your informed consent to view such contentthis is the maximum amounts of characters that can be used in the custom warning text box. For groups, change the wording from 'Profile' to 'Group'.
• Have very detailed rules for the group. Even if they repeat much of the site rules, it is best to have redundancy, especially with the rules on 17- characters up to one day younger than 18 years old on their profiles.
• Set group age limit to either 18+ or 21+. This is verified with the age users have given when they registered with RPR.
• Verified Adult status can be required as a condition of participation in a group.
• Set up a detailed application for admittance to the group reiterating the rules and the content that has to be agreed to.
• Cover in detail on the group welcome page what the group is about, and that extreme content will likely be included in content within the group.

I'm probably forgetting a few other safeguards, but my point is to be vigilant and there can never be too much redundancy.
I RP some very intense things sometimes, (sex, violence etc) but as long as you and your partner are comfortable and it’s not on a public server, then you should be all good. And as the others have stated, adding a few safeguards are very beneficial to characters and topics.

Happy RPing!

You are on: Forums » Help » (Answered) RP'ing Illegal/Extreme Content?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus