Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA Raised by a Goldsmith

Hi! So my life has been less than traditional growing up as my family has their own business with dad making celtic inspired jewelry. I was raised helping out in both the shop and the office and on the road going to fine arts festivals as well as a renaissance festival (was raised there basically). So obvioiusly my childhood was a little different with a lot of traveling in the summers. I've even made some small pieces for myself when I was a kid doing demos all dressed up in colonial clothing at a craft fair!
Cass Moderator

This sounds like a really beautiful and amazing journey of life. :)

I love this!

Do you still do this crafting as an adult?
fiesch Topic Starter

Cass wrote:
This sounds like a really beautiful and amazing journey of life. :)

I love this!

Do you still do this crafting as an adult?

Sadly I did not follow in my father's footsteps though I did pursue art at least as a hobby by learning to draw digitally because of being raised around so much art. My older brother however works in the shop with my father.
Do you have any specific memories about the renaissance festivals?
fiesch Topic Starter

varian wrote:
Do you have any specific memories about the renaissance festivals?

Oh yeah as a little kid my favorite thing to do at the end of the day when everyone was gone and we were packing up I would run the outer circle of our booth as it is in an octagon shape. So the display cases were the inner walls, then there was the inner section were only employees are allowed, then the outer walking section for customers and visitors. So I would run around the circle and "mario" jump till I got told to stop lol
Kim Site Admin

How did you feel about your dad's profession? Did you ever wish for something more stable, or did you enjoy the travel?
fiesch Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
How did you feel about your dad's profession? Did you ever wish for something more stable, or did you enjoy the travel?

You know I really don't know I think I would change it because I got to experience a lot of new things. Sure my life wasn't the same as a lot of other kids and it did make school a bit hard at times working on projects on the road but I did it. Other than that I got to meet a lot of people, see a lot of cool sights, get a lot of life experience I wouldn't have had otherwise. I think while there were times I didn't like waking up early or wished summer was camp and the beach as a child looking back I'm glad for what I got to experience.

As for the profession I think it's neat! It just wasn't for me.
Since your family travels, do you still get to/want to see them?
fiesch Topic Starter

Aardbei wrote:
Since your family travels, do you still get to/want to see them?

I actually live with my family, I was away from the family house for about six years then well covid happened lol. So I see them a lot and for the most part we get along like most families would.
Kim Site Admin

Do you have a sense of what you want to do with your own life, if it's not this path? :)
fiesch Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Do you have a sense of what you want to do with your own life, if it's not this path? :)

So sorry for the late reply to this hope this isn't too late, I honestly don't know. I know I want to do something art related but beyond that I am not certain. That unfortunately is not related to being raised the way I was but more my own physical and mental health as a disabled individual. For now I am just taking each day as I can and going from there.
Do you still go visit Renaissance festivals? Are you burnt out on them?
fiesch Topic Starter

Abigail_Austin wrote:
Do you still go visit Renaissance festivals? Are you burnt out on them?

Honestly I'm pretty burnt out by the one I was raised at it is hard for me to go there as an outside observer knowing so many people, the actors, the vendors, and everything in outside of the faire life. It simply just becomes another part of your day that you get used to it I guess or at least for me it has. I haven't been to any of the others so I can't say for sure if I am burnt out by all of them.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA Raised by a Goldsmith

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus