Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Cartoons back then to what they are now!

Heimdall wrote:
We are all looking at the past with inch-thick nostalgia goggles. :P Yeah, there were amazing shows back when we were growing up. Those are the ones we remember fondly. There were also a BUTTLOAD of crappy ones. Heck, some of the crappy ones people love for some reason. I mean, honestly. Scooby Doo is badly animated, repetitive, and unimaginative (overall). Or any of the other Hanna Barbara cartoons of the same era. It's the same with modern day cartoons. There are good ones and bad ones. Personally I think Adventure Time deals with some deep issues, is funny and surreal, and doesn't have bad animation. Same with Steven Universe. Both of these shows also break stereotypes and have a lot of interesting characters. So personally, I think overall, kids' shows are getting better. o_o

I agree to an extent with what Heimdall is saying. Sure the past had some good ones, as does the present but there are also a lot fewer shows on these days in comparison to what was available in the past. For me it isn't quality, there will always be quality, but for me it is the lack of quantity that frightens me. In the past we had a different show for what seemed like every half hour segment. Now it is just repeats of the same 6-8 shows. Some are good some are terrible, but to me it was always the options that I liked. Without options aren't we being limited by those who control what we watch and when we can either receive or lose the shows we treasure?

For me I can greatly appreciate channels like Boomerang and Nicktoons that will bring us the shows we miss and still provide somewhat of the same variety as before. But again they are just reruns and are thus again limited. In short it just shows how far we as individuals and as a series of consecutive generations have come.
virusghost18 wrote:

I agree to an extent with what Heimdall is saying. Sure the past had some good ones, as does the present but there are also a lot fewer shows on these days in comparison to what was available in the past. For me it isn't quality, there will always be quality, but for me it is the lack of quantity that frightens me. In the past we had a different show for what seemed like every half hour segment. Now it is just repeats of the same 6-8 shows. Some are good some are terrible, but to me it was always the options that I liked. Without options aren't we being limited by those who control what we watch and when we can either receive or lose the shows we treasure?

For me I can greatly appreciate channels like Boomerang and Nicktoons that will bring us the shows we miss and still provide somewhat of the same variety as before. But again they are just reruns and are thus again limited. In short it just shows how far we as individuals and as a series of consecutive generations have come.

pHZqN.jpg

I think this picture illustrates what you are trying to say...I mean indeed we did have a lot of variety and point taken , that obviously some shows were better than others. I mean I loved "Ahh! Monsters" but by now I fail to see how it helped in my upbringing (Kind of Trigonometry at high school :P). On the other hand there were shows that I religiously watched every single day like DinoSaucers, Captain Planet, Thundercats, Silver Hawks and so on that I believe left a positive mark on me, and slightly shaped who I am now.
To my opinion, the shows they are feeding kids these days have crossed over the line of mind numbing (and I used to watch Fairy Odd Parents with my little brother!), when there are shows nowadays that have GREAT animation, AWESOME stories, and they cant stay afloat against Adventure Time. If anyone has seen Young Justice and the new Thunder Cats, you'll understand what I mean.
If you have the time watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpyt7dZkG3k
That is some deep stuff, and I understand it might be a bit too much for a 4 year old, but you understand where I'm going with this.
I have honestly considered, for when I have kids to download my old cartoons, and play it for them instead of whats in TV, then let them decide :P.
I'd like to mention that many of the toons shown in the top image are from entirely different eras. Also, that I thought a few of them also counted among today's.

...I am so out of touch.
McFaol wrote:
pHZqN.jpg

I think this picture illustrates what you are trying to say...I mean indeed we did have a lot of variety and point taken , that obviously some shows were better than others. I mean I loved "Ahh! Monsters" but by now I fail to see how it helped in my upbringing (Kind of Trigonometry at high school :P). On the other hand there were shows that I religiously watched every single day like DinoSaucers, Captain Planet, Thundercats, Silver Hawks and so on that I believe left a positive mark on me, and slightly shaped who I am now.
To my opinion, the shows they are feeding kids these days have crossed over the line of mind numbing (and I used to watch Fairy Odd Parents with my little brother!), when there are shows nowadays that have GREAT animation, AWESOME stories, and they cant stay afloat against Adventure Time. If anyone has seen Young Justice and the new Thunder Cats, you'll understand what I mean.
If you have the time watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpyt7dZkG3k
That is some deep stuff, and I understand it might be a bit too much for a 4 year old, but you understand where I'm going with this.
I have honestly considered, for when I have kids to download my old cartoons, and play it for them instead of whats in TV, then let them decide :P.

Yes, this is what I meant!!! I'm with you dude, show them what they are missing out on and then let them choose. Hopefully their choice doesn't make me disown them, JK!!! XD

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Cartoons back then to what they are now!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus