Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Active vs. Reactive

I'm a primarily reactive player, and from what I've seen, that seems to be pretty common - even moreso among those who are newer to RP. I don't know if our reasons are the same, but I know that I, personally, have multiple reasons.

First and foremost, I'm afraid of stepping on toes, getting in someone's way, or otherwise interfering with their plans or expectations (not that going against expectations is bad, but there are times it can seriously derail things). There are times I think of adding in some new aspect or plot point, but it feels heavy-handed and like I'm taking the RP over, so I don't. I know that I've played with more active sorts of characters, but the times it's actually been notable, I've often wanted to smack the person for not letting anyone just sit and take a breath for a moment, let alone follow any plotline they might have themselves. I also don't what to add something in that just gets a "wth where'd that come from?" reaction.

I'm also a very character-driven person, rather than plot-driven. Even when writing my own stories, ideas I have for what will happen often get completely changed simply because I let the character guide the story rather than trying to make the story guide the character. I only control external circumstances.

Finally, and frankly... I'm just not that creative. Yes, I get ideas on things, but it's usually only to build up an existing thing. I find coming up with the initial idea (something that isn't just stupid, at least) to be very difficult.

Now, no one wants to carry an RP by themselves. It feels like catering rather than sharing; and in some cases, it feels like catering to a rock that you sometimes have to prod around with a stick. I know that. But, much as I see people asking for others to carry their own weight, I'm certain that I don't carry my weight enough, and I can't seem to understand how to take a more active role without becoming/causing a problem.

The point: How do you suggest a reactive or passive player take a more active role in an RP without creating any problems that are detrimental to the story? How can we share that load better?
Communication is key. I am a very shy person and a lot of other rpers seem to be but that is what it really comes down to. Rpers, whether in a group or one on one, just need to talk things out and ask each other questions. Once each person figures out what they expect from the other things can go more smoothly and never be afraid of 'stepping on toes'. It happens, but that is just as easily fixed but talking it out as well. : 3
Sanne Moderator

Don't be afraid to step on someone's toes and just do what you want to do. Easier said than done, but it's honestly the best way.

Play like you would like to be played with. If you're doing something that would tick you off if someone else did it, don't do it. If you're doing something that you want others to do with you, do it. It's really just that simple. :)

There will ALWAYS be people who will not like what you're doing no matter what you're doing. Someone will always be annoyed by you being a passive player, and someone will always be annoyed by you being an active player. There's no sense in being overly careful around others because it will happen anyway.

What Slipcast said is more than true. Talking to someone about this will help you figure out what they are and aren't okay with. I tend to periodically check in with my RP partners about something if I'm not sure if it's okay or not. I will write my RP post actively, then send them a message asking "Is this okay? If it doesn't work out for you let me know and I'll rewrite the post accordingly. :)" Being willing to tone things down usually already puts many people at ease and makes them feel more comfortable with you actively leading the story.

I used to be really hesitant about RPing actively until I got fed up with just not having fun. I noticed that in my mind, things were always assumed to be much much worse than they actually were - I've never had anyone tell me I was doing something wrong in the RP by taking the lead!

So in short, the problem is probably much worse in your head than it really is, and as long as you talk to your RP partners you should disregard the idea what you're stepping on someone's toes. That only happens if you're selfishly taking over everything, which you won't do because you hate it when others do it to you.
Slipcast wrote:
Communication is key.

I completely agree.

When I roleplay I enjoy to share ideas with the person I am roleplaying with. Ensuring that where the roleplay is going, is enjoyable for all parties. Sometimes I have an idea for a plot but something is missing, and more often than not the other person I am rping with has the additional idea to make it awesome.
Zelphyr Topic Starter

I'll try to be a bit braver, then. Or at least try to take a moment to ask if they're enjoying it when I start worrying. ^^;

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Active vs. Reactive

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus