Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Friend & Enimies + Family?

You know that you can add friends and enemies to your character.

Yet an idea popped in me head because one of my characters has plenty of siblings.

My suggestion being; why not have the options of adding 'family' to the mixture?
Revion (played by Yuka)

This I agree with :)
And possibly an extension that allows you to put a character under more than one category as one of my characters has a member of his family that he's actually enemies with.
Sanne Moderator

I personally wouldn't use it at all, as only two chars of mine are related to each other and I don't do too much family roleplay with other folks (flaky people ditch it too often for my tastes). If there's a greater interest in it by others though, I'm all for it. :)
There is already work underway for a whole separate family tree widget. Since it's separate, it should mean you can friend/enemy characters and also have them in your family.

The completion of it's a long way off still though, I think. Understandable because it's going to be pretty complicated. There was a Development Thread at one point to work out just how complicated family trees can get.

Found it in the development log for you: http://www.rprepository.com/development/developmentTask.php?task=12
I don't do too many family things outside of my own characters, but I feel like this isn't a bad idea at all. It can't be too hard to implement, can it? Also, it would be good for characters who might be married or something to another persons character.
Kim Site Admin

Yeah, I have been sporadically putting bits of work in on the family tree widget for something like a year now, and it's been planned for about 18 months. I'd mostly been letting it slide because it didn't seem hugely necessary or popular.

Go vote it up if you want it! ;)
Lyssic Topic Starter

A family tree widget? Why not start with the 'Family' add on; that will then give you more time to develop the family tree if there are any interested in it.

I voted.
Lyssic wrote:
A family tree widget? Why not start with the 'Family' add on; that will then give you more time to develop the family tree if there are any interested in it.

Maybe make that like a beta thing? see how many actually use that? that might give you more of an idea if the family tree idea kicks off at all?
Kim Site Admin

Mostly because the permutations of friends and enemies are literally endless. I've had requests for lovers, acquaintances, allies, slaves, crew members, etc. etc. And already there's been talk here of needing to be able to make the friends/enemies and families overlap.

We'll be adding extra widgets until we drop if we do every possible relationship as a separate category. To my mind, it makes more sense to have the family tree widget be something else entirely, then upgrade the existing friends and enemies widgets to allow for public "notes" or tags that augment the perception of your relationship with each person. Because let's face it, most of you either love or hate your family. And that gives everyone a greater degree of flexibility toward showing their relationships, not just people with family ties.

It may be in the end that friends/enemies/family is too restrictive, and we'll need to move to a very flexible character tie model similar to Google's "circles." That's a degree of complexity I'm not prepared to handle just now, although it sounds awesome.

Also, let me rephrase. The family tree widget made it to the development task list because I see people trying to approximate them through text all the time, so I have a pretty good idea that they'd get used. It just seemed like people were getting along okay with text, whereas there are other features that simply can't be approximated with fancy text style that require my immediate attention.
If I may input, I do like the idea of being able to make little "notes" in friends/enemies. Why are they are friend? Why are they an enemy? Maybe they're not a friend, but a very good acquaintance you're on decent terms with-- stuff like that.

As for a family tree, not sure if I'd use it myself, but brb going to take a looksee!
Kim Site Admin

Actually, in pondering this further, I could envision the link on character pages not saying +Friends and +Enemy, just +Connect or something along those lines. Then when you got there, it'd ask you to select with a radio button a number of options -- Friend, enemy, acquaintance or family. Then beneath that a small text box for adding a note.

There would be one widget. When you opened the panel, it would ask you to tick the boxes next to the relationship type(s) you wanted it to show. Default would be all of the above, plus their notes. Thus you could have it be an enemy widget, a friend widget, a family widget, or an all of the above widget.

Does that sound like it would accommodate the use cases you guys are interested in?
Lyssic Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Actually, in pondering this further, I could envision the link on character pages not saying +Friends and +Enemy, just +Connect or something along those lines. Then when you got there, it'd ask you to select with a radio button a number of options -- Friend, enemy, acquaintance or family. Then beneath that a small text box for adding a note.

There would be one widget. When you opened the panel, it would ask you to tick the boxes next to the relationship type(s) you wanted it to show. Default would be all of the above, plus their notes. Thus you could have it be an enemy widget, a friend widget, a family widget, or an all of the above widget.

Does that sound like it would accommodate the use cases you guys are interested in?

That actually makes it simpler. I like that idea as well. However, one question about that, how will they then be viewed on the website? Name + Note? Sorted as family/friend/enemies? Because I'm not entirely sure I fully understand it for that matter. *reads again*
Kim Site Admin

Icon, name, and a public note if there is one. Notes would obviously be optional.

It might also be just icon and name, and the notes appear in a tooltip if you hover your cursor over them. This might be different per template? Or be an option in the widget? I don't know, I haven't worked that out yet. XD

But yes, they'd be sorted into categories. So you'd have like...

Friends
Person 1 - MyCharacter and Person 1 have known each other since they were wee little babes
Person 2 - MyCharacter and Person 2 didn't get along at first, but after fighting alongside one another in the zombie wars, they have grown to trust each other.
Person 3 - Still getting to know this person, but there could be a bright future...

Enemies
Person 4 - RARG DIE
Person 5 - We used to be friends, before Person 5 was infected with the zombie virus...
Person 6 - Just kinda don't like this guy.

Family
Person 7 - Mom
Person 8 - Dad
Person 9 - Sister in law
Lyssic Topic Starter

One word; Brilliant!

XD
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I agree, brilliant solution and should handle any situation :)
Kim Site Admin

Added to development task list: http://www.rprepository.com/development/developmentTask.php?task=142

I don't know that I will be able to slot this into the schedule for the redesign, it's already pretty full, but I am rather excited about the idea all the same. Go vote it up, peeps. <3
Darth_Angelus Moderator

It has my vote.
Kim Site Admin

And my axe!

...Wait. >.>
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Sharp features? ;)

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Friend & Enimies + Family?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus