Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Programming Project

Kay, so I don't want to step on anyone's toes with this or anything but it's been a goal of mine for quite some time to build a chat specifically designed for role play. By this what I mean is, a client that has a focal design point around making role play easy and fluid, including the generation of customized character sheets on a web page for the owner of the character (in much the same way as the old, old, pre-web-2.0 MySpace pages)-- just the whole nine yards. The only issue is this is a HUGE undertaking and it would be a helluvalot to do on one's own.

So my point is this: Would any other role players with experience in Object Oriented (likely Java or C#) programming like to join in this endeavor? Perhaps we could try to strike up a partnership with RPR! I love the way this site handles character profiles.

Anyway, I thought I'd put my feelers out here before reaching out to less role play-oriented programmers I might find elsewhere.

One more thing to consider is that this would probably be good experience to put on a programmer's resume, if all goes well.

^^ Thanks for hearing me out and I hope everyone's cool with me posting this here! Tata for now :3
Kim Site Admin

Good luck! Very interested to see what you come up with. :)
Quick tip: I'd advise against mentioning the "looks good on your resume" thing. True though it may be, there are so many people, especially those with more experience, who have learned to take that phrase as "don't work with/for me!" Some even get upset about it. ^^;
brndnpcktt Topic Starter

Heh, thanks Kim. I hope I can get this off the ground within the next two weeks.

Oh, and this would be a strictly non-paying gig anyway. If I can get anyone from RPR to help out on it, the entire program would be sort of a "for role players, by role players" kinda thing, but if not then I'm going to have to monetize it through something like advertisements and I really don't want to go down that road if I can get away with it, you know? So I'm sort of putting it here as something of a community project, if anyone would like to join in.

For clarity, think of it this way: IRC/Yahoo! style rooms, complete with user-created rooms, on top of a web-based profile system much like (or even exactly as) that of RPR.
I assumed it'd be non-paying, but because of how and where that phrase tends to crop up, it's mentally associated with various issues for many. Frustrating demands, lots of nitpicky changes, asking for the impossible or the impossible-within-means, rushes and poor response times... Basically, it gets associated with "that client" who everyone hates, because that's who uses it most.

There's no need to say it, anyway. Chances are, the person will already know whether or not it'll look good on their resume. ;)
brndnpcktt Topic Starter

I guess that's true. The only web design clients on my don't-talk-to-ever-again list are those who told me "it'll go great on your resume!" lol
Sanne Moderator

Good luck with this! I'm not a programmer so I can't help, but I'll share the topic with some people I know. :)

If you're worried about the phrasing, you could just refer to it as an all around interesting learning experience to put one's skills to the test and you can put emphasis on that you encourage an overall positive environment. This is often more valuable on unpaid projects than being able to put something on your resume. :)
brndnpcktt Topic Starter

That's a really good point, Sanne, thanks! ^^ Also long time no see!

Anyway, I've decided to move in another direction with the project. After running some polls I learned that more people would prefer a browser-based chat than a standalone download. : bummer.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Programming Project

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus