Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Migration of the Human Race(1x1)

Xiara (played by KingofHaddock)

(RP with durgan)

It is the Earth year 2287. The Planet Earth, as well as the rest of the Sol System has been decimated by a race of vain, speciesist conquerors known as the Actarians. Originally first starting when Humanity had accidentally claimed an Actarian colony as their own, the heated debate soon blew into an all out war of conquest when the Actarian ambassador, Shirzi Shazaarri, was assassinated by an unknown assailant. With no leash to hold them back, the Actarians demanded their colony returned to them. When Mankind refused, a royal vessel was sent in the direction of Earth.

The war lasted for three years, as the Actarian war machine slowly pummeled through the planets of the Sol system, one by one, until it finally entered Earth's atmosphere, but the Actarian monarchy had underestimated this new foe. As a last resort, Mankind shot powerful nuclear weapons in the direction of this threat. The result was the complete destruction of the entire Actarian fleet, as well as the withdrawal from the system itself. But mankind's victory was a Pyrrhic one. Earth's atmosphere had been completely contaminated with nuclear radiation from the blast, and the former Sol colonies were devastated by the war. The Sol system was at it's knees, and so was Humanity.

There was one other option: Complete migration of the remainder of the Human species, to find a new home amongst the stars. As ambitious as this idea was, it was the greatest chance man had of survival, so great that for the first time in an era, mankind had put away all it's differences, including culture, race and religion, in order to contribute to this great plan. This plan came to be known as Project Eden.

So mankind had abandoned it's former home known as Earth, and begun a journey of many years to find a new home amongst the stars. In order to compensate for such a journey, the surviving members of the Human race (at least those rich enough to afford it) were placed in cyrostasis chambers until they arrived at their destination. Those who could not afford a place were forced to work around the ship for money to buy the last remaining food salvaged from Earth. But there were others who were not interred as Cryostasis as well. Those called upon by Humanity to watch with vigilance over the remainder of the Human race. Six crew members to make sure the ship was in perfect condition, one wrong move, and Humanity could be doomed forever.

Normally, it was five members who would take guardianship over the fleet, and they would return to Cyrostasis after six months of work. But one of these was not a Human, and had no real place among the ship. In fact, it was an Actarian. The very race that had put mankind into this mishap! However, this being was unlike it's brethren. As untrustworthy as the being was, it had knelt down, and sworn to help Humanity rewrite the mistakes of it's brethren. Forcing itself, to watch over the remains of Humanity, with no reward of a break.

It had been four, long years since he had pledged to Mankind's leaders that he would help them, though he told them nothing of where he came from, only answering questions as an "assailant." Xiara had watched closely over mankind's lower classes, those who were condemned to wait until the journey had finished. Those who were forced to starve because the price of food was so high aboard the ship. A deep sigh escaped Xiara's breath, for he would steal the food for them if he could, but with the security cameras all over the ship, he would no doubt be caught, and be discharged, rendering him unable to repent the mistakes his people had caused. Food was served by specially made security robots, as the team of five would normally watch over the cryochamber floors, of which Xiara was barred from even looking at. They would rarely ever approach the lower floors, this had meant that Xiara was all that stood between order and anarchy in this godforsaken brig of a floor.

Xiara stood above the lower bridge, staring closely at the planets below. Another sigh had escaped him, as he began to mumble to himself. "This does not bode well, the Varada system. A White hole serves as a sun, if to close, it could..." Xiara silenced himself not a second before the thought. The idea that it could swing the ship onto Oblivion ached him. He would urge the watchers to change coordinates, but how? He was not allowed on the top floors. By some sort of freak happening, Xiara would have to wait until one of the crew came down to the lower floor, so that he could explain the great danger at hand, or perhaps one of the crew had noticed this interstellar wonder. If neither of these happen, the future of Humanity could be at stake yet again.
Durgan Carlyle (played by durgan)

Durgan had been ordered by Commander Marcus to report to the lower bridge as soon as his cryochamber checks had been completed. The commander didn't tell Durgan exactly what he was suppose to be doing in the lower bridge but the one thing he did know is that it wasn't a repair or calibration because nothing was showing in his duty logs. Checking the last of the read outs on the final cryochamber Durgan moved to the elevator to make his way down to the lower levels. Durgan like the rest of the command crew avoided the lower decks unless there was a repair to be made or a riot broke out but even then the security droids typically took care of it. As he punched in his access code into the elevator console Durgan thought to himself why he be going down there but alas all his theories wouldn't even be close to the truth. As he stepped in and pressed the button for the lower deck his communicator beeped at him notifying Durgan of a incoming call.

Tapping the communicator or his wrist the familiar voice of commander Marcus echoed out of it, “Lieutenant Carlyle I see your on your way to the lower decks,” Stating the obvious and always watching the security cameras was what commander Marcus was good at, “The Actarian has been in the lower bridge for quite some time I want you to investigate and report back on.”

Suddenly it had all made since, Durgan of all the command crew was the least likely to want to harm the Actarian. Durgan unlike the others actually embraced the Actarian race primarily because of their technology but also how there society had developed. The rest of the crew and most of humanity was still resentful for what had happen to Earth and they blamed the Actarians.

“Roger that sir” Durgan replied and then tapped his communicator again closing the channel.

The elevator came to a sudden halt on its floor, the doors flung open and before him lay the lower bridge. The Actarian stood direct ahead viewing out of the ship at the system beyond, Durgan stepped out of the elevator as the doors began to close behind him.

Durgan wasn't sure how to address this individual as his name wasn't in the records and of course didn't come up in passing conversation with the command crew they always refereed to him as the Actarian. “Hello?” Durgan asked patiently awaiting a response as he glanced at a set of control panels lining the sides of the lower bridge.
Xiara (played by KingofHaddock) Topic Starter

The sudden voice both woken and interrupted Xiara from his view of the hypnotic sea of space. It was quite rare to find a person actually coming down to the lower floors, but then again, this person could just be an android. Xiara knew that artificial humanoid drones had been put in place as vendors and workers, supposedly to 'give the more developing side of humanity a memoir before the end,' as told to him by a past worker. Though he could not pinpoint on what the man actually meant. Were these people in the lower deck expendable? Were they going to die as the ship reached it's destination? Xiara had many questions to ask, but knew he would not find the answer, not yet anyway.

That being said, there could be a slight chance that this was in fact, a person. Xiara approached the being, taking a slight bow. "Greetings, my name is Xiara. Pardon my sudden acquaintance, but I must ask, what brings you to the lower deck?" Xiara voice was slightly muffled under the skull helmet.

Durgan took a moment examining Xiara before answering him, “Lieutenant Durgan Carlyle, Command Crew Engineer, but you can call me Durgan.”

With the quick introduction out of the way Durgan got straight to the matter at hand “Commander Marcus has requested that I inquire as to why your here on the lower bridge?” Durgan realized as he spoke he was gesturing with his hands and arms subconsciously, feeling a bit embarrassed Durgan pulled his arms together crossing them as he finished speaking, “I'm not sure why he sent me to ask instead of a android but always interested in meeting your kind.”

Interested? A cynical and paranoid thought came over the Actarian. No doubt that this commander would want to learn about him for many dubious reasons. After all, a real person was sent, rather than some malfunctioning drone, perhaps Xiara's importance was slightly underestimated, even if he was forced to stay on the lower decks. Though for now, he would need to play along.

"I am flattered by your interest Lieutenant. I was sent here to serve as a guide, by the organization of my origin, to make up for the mistakes of Acta shown by during the war over the outer colonies. Unfortunately, many resent me over the fact that I am one of the reptilian people, and so I must stay down here until I am called, but I alone cannot correct the misdeeds of another."

As Xiara spoke his voice was slightly sorrowful, though there was no hint of anger. He didn't blame the remainder of Mankind for it's resentfulness, but it pained him that such a feeling of hate was extended to those who had no part in such a horrid war.

Durgan wasn't sure to take what Xiara said as a insult or just a misunderstanding, at least for now he take it as a misunderstanding.

Durgan replied, “Not exactly what I meant, I've read the file on your assignment if you could call it that so I know why your on board. The Commander is more interested in what you've been doing in the lower bridge, this isn't exactly a place most would choose to spend their leisure time and he is a bit on the paranoid side.” Durgan let out a little laugh as he poked at his Commanders flaws, “So what are you doing here?”

Xiara hid his embarrassment under the skull helmet. "My apologies for my misunderstanding. I have been acting as a director since I had been on this ship. I use my knowledge of outer space to help guide the vessel to it's destination."

His voice went from a slightly embarrassed tone, to a more serious one as he spoke of the possible danger "But something is amiss, for during my lookout, I had noticed a strange phenomenon. There is a white hole in this sector, and the ship is too close in it's radius. If left unchecked, the object could potentially throw the ship away from it's destined course, or even send it crashing into a nearby planet, or asteroid."

Durgan wasn't surprised by this information, “We've actually been tracking the white hole as we pass through the system. The key systems of the ship were built to resist high levels of solar radiation so short of a direct hit we should be fine... that is most of the ship.”

Durgan hesitated as he thought about the rest of the ship, “Unfortunately many of the third class passengers are inhabiting the unshielded areas and even a near miss will likely kill or at least hit them with a nearly lethal dose of radiation (first being the cryochamber passengers, second the command crew, and third being the unlucky thousands crawling around the ship).

Durgan did feel a moment of sadness overcome him as he thought about the rest of humanity climbing the interior of the ship starving and dieing of radiation poisoning.

"It shames me that I cannot do anything for these people. Their languages are not listed nor coded in my universal translator, and when I try to help them through practicality, they shun me, yet I cannot blame them." He gazed toward the 'masses' from above, atop the lookout. These people all spoke a shocking variant of Human languages. They all seemed quite content, despite what luxuries lay beyond them, and seemingly had no knowledge of their impending fate.

“I'll reiterate your concern with the commander but seeing how difficult it is to plot another course it's quite unlikely he will even consider it.” Durgan said with a hint of grief in his voice.

Durgan didn't understand Xiara's deep concern with the fate of humanity but he found it some what calming that he was aboard doing what he could for the last refugee of humanity.

"I know. I just hope that he is not apathetic to this plight." Xiara was naturally an empathetic person, regardless of species. He held a strict view on his own moral code: to help promote the lives of others, and to never take sentient life unless it's cause is justified, which was rare, as well as being a very subjective topic.

"I must say though, I do think it would be best. For if these people realize how worthless they are, they may become completely disillusioned with their place aboard this ship, and could... revolt." Xiara's skin felt tight and frozen as the thought crept into his mind.

“You are correct but it is a unfortunate truth but until we arrive at Eden there isn't much I or anyone else can do to change these fact. I will though bring your concerns to the Commander as I said I would, but until then take this.” Durgan opened a pouch in his utility belt and pulled out one of the wrist communicators.

“This communicator is built into the ships internal communication systems and you'll be able to contact me directly if you need anything down here, I'm not promising anything but I'll do the best I can without involving the other command crew.” Durgan said as he reached the communicator out to Xiara

Xiara gave a slight, but solemn nod. Though he knew that Durgan would alert the commander of his concerns, they would likely fall on deaf ears, at least until they had crossed the white hole's radius.

There was another question on Xiara's mind. "I now understand that the commander is aware of the dangerous object we will soon be passing. Has the ship given an estimate on how long it will take before we approach it's radius?"

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Migration of the Human Race(1x1)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus