Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Update Alerts!

So, I get tired of checking my friend's pages constantly for updates. It'd be awesome if they showed up in our little notifications thing (toggle-able like the rest) AND if we could filter certain characters/people out of our notifications -- Example: I have friends who added me with all of their listed characters, half of which I don't interact with/care to know the statuses of.... :)

It could be something simple, like "Such-And-Such has updated the "Vital Info" section on their "Basic Information" page!", just so that I have a heads up and don't have to search!
Kim Site Admin

You can filter whoever you'd like out of your feed.

Go to your friend page and uncheck "watch" or "Watch characters", depending on which you don't want to hear about anymore, and it will stop adding what they do to your feed. At the moment, anything they did before you made the change will still be stuck in your cache, but you won't get anything new from them. Very shortly we'll be doing away with the cache, so you won't have the backdating problem anymore.

Last time we touched on what should be included in notifications, updates of widgets didn't sound very popular. It has real potential to generate clutter. I have a lot of trouble getting my head around figuring out what counts as a notification worthy update -- code alone is going to judge every corrected typo to be the same as adding a new chapter of history. I'm a little wary, but I'm willing to field discussion of it as a possibility again.
Kim wrote:
Last time we touched on what should be included in notifications, updates of widgets didn't sound very popular. It has real potential to generate clutter. I have a lot of trouble getting my head around figuring out what counts as a notification worthy update -- code alone is going to judge every corrected typo to be the same as adding a new chapter of history. I'm a little wary, but I'm willing to field discussion of it as a possibility again.

I can't remember if it has ever been brought up, but what about something like Deviant Art has (had?) for editing updates-- a check box one could click that said something like "this is a minor update" and checking it would keep it from notifying your followers/watchers/buddies/etc.

I'm not sure how complicated that could make it though. Doing it by page? By widget like is being mentioned...? It's a thought though.
Sanne Moderator

Copper_Dragon wrote:
Kim wrote:

I can't remember if it has ever been brought up, but what about something like Deviant Art has (had?) for editing updates-- a check box one could click that said something like "this is a minor update" and checking it would keep it from notifying your followers/watchers/buddies/etc.

I'm not sure how complicated that could make it though. Doing it by page? By widget like is being mentioned...? It's a thought though.

I've always preferred it the other way around. By default uncheck it from notifying people, so you have to actually click it to announce its update. Too many people skip over such options and save a lot in-between, so it would be an unnecessary serverload.

But honestly, I would go nuts if everyone I'm friends with would notify me every single time they made a change to a widget. I'd like to be able to toggle user-created notifications if such a feature would go live, just like how I can choose what type of notifications now appear in my dashboard.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Update Alerts!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus