Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Culture and Styling Section Shortcut?

Is there a better way to reach the Culture and Styling section in the help menu other than going to the "Help" section and THEN clicking on the section you want in Culture and Styling? I was just wondering because I use it a lot to help when making my character profiles unique.
The 'Help' section got a pretty good overhaul a couple of months ago to streamline all its subjects! Beyond bookmarking the Help page itself so it's just a couple of keystrokes away from coming up in a new tab, I'm not entirely sure how much more accessible you'd like it to be! It already only takes one click on Help, which sits at the top of almost every page of the site, then a scroll down the page, to find Culture & Styling's pages in the sidebar.

Is there some idea you have in mind on how to make it further accessible? We would love to hear it! :3
Zephyrezz Topic Starter

What about a drop down menu in the actual text tab next to "preview" that opens a new tab for you with the "culture and styling" section. Or it could just have the BBcode's for people who don't want to flip in between tabs to try to find the correct code that they may have forgotten. :)
Zephyrezz Topic Starter

[EDIT] Maybe you could make it something along these lines and it just inserts the code for you like the bold, italics, and underline?
Untitled_zps75072363.jpg
Kim Site Admin

All text widgets contain a link to the BBCode section when you open them up to do editing. It reads "Want more ways to format your text?"
Zephyrezz Topic Starter

I see it, but you still have to flip back and forth between tabs/ windows to get the code and that can become a nuisance, especially if your on a cell phone.
Sanne Moderator

Most of the tags are super duper straightforward though.
Code:
If you want a spoiler tag, your tag will be [spoiler]. If you want a youtube tag, your tag will be [youtube]. If you want a list tag, your tag will be [list]. If you want to add an image, your tag will be [img]. If you want to add an image align, your tag will be [img align=right/left]. If you want to add a quote, your tag will be [quote]. And so forth...

95% of all BBCode is a matter of remembering the name of the tag. If you know the name, you just need to put it between brackets and you're done. The other 5% have different names or are obscure because their usage is discouraged for beginners, since they can mess a lot of things up or are very difficult to use for those who are unfamiliar with them.

Swapping between tabs is something that is in the nature of a smartphone or other mobile devices. The issue you'll run into with a dropdown list like that is that it'll probably be super difficult to tap (I avoid the whole row of icons above a textbox like the plague on my phone because it's so super inaccurate). If you put the list into a collapse on the page itself, you'll have to scroll excessively and can accidentally misclick and lose your post.

It's mildly inconvenient to switch tabs, but it's really not as terrible as you make it sound. That's how using websites on a mobile device works, and RPR is already very optimized compared to many other sites that just lag your phone down and even make it crash.
Kim Site Admin

Sanne pretty much hit the nail on the head. The most used codes are already buttons that put the code in for you, including images. The rest are used fairly rarely by comparison, but still have fairly obvious tags like "youtube" for youtube. The others are indeed not just discouraged for beginners, some of them I discourage for everyone (like columns).

I don't think that two clicks is really a bad number to get to an occasionally-used (for most) reference section. To answer your original question, there IS a better way to get to it, though -- You don't have to scroll to the culture & styling section on the help sidebar, the second link on the help main page will actually take you where you want to go (titled "BBCode: Style your text (HTML alternative)")

I'm sorry smartphone tabbing is annoying to you, but I don't think that putting in more links to the help section will actually eliminate any tabbing. =/ You'd still have to go back and forth from the reference to what you were doing.

You are on: Forums » Help » Culture and Styling Section Shortcut?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus