Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Alexandria, Egypt

Ash (played by Minerva) Topic Starter

Ash shook his head at Namine. Don't worry about it.

Philomela earned an appropriate silence from him for a block before he spoke again, drawing near to the library. "It's for the best. You're bound to find yourself mugged or raped if you continue on in a stable, especially in a town like this. Moving elsewhere, we may find somewhere more appropriate for you. I considered offering you the room I've been renting out, but I imagine that may feel awkward. You would be welcome any time, of course, even if I have company--but you don't seem the type to sit by during that. I could, of course, give a signal by hanging something on the door grip, and you could decide whether you chose to enter regardless. I am not a particularly shy creature."
Philomela (played by Loki)

Philomela shook her head, "But all my notes are in my pack, and my money, and gifts from Draebal, and Eudora." She couldn't just leave it.

Ash again voices that he didn't want her staying in a stable, "But it's cheaper and they never let Namine stay in rooms with me..." He had a point, though she'd not had a problem with that thus far on her journey. Philomela's cheeks turn a dark shade of red when he mentions sharing a room with him, along with his typical activities. "If you could...hang something there...it would be appreciated." He may not be shy, but she definitely was. Hopefully she'd never have a moment where curiosity got the best of her.

"I understand that. We'll return for it. She was offering to try to go back for it herself. We should have time. As for the rest... perhaps the next town will be more forgiving. Sometimes smaller villages are more accomodating to that type of thing."

Philomela looked relieved when he said they could go back for it. "Alright. Thank you." It was a wonder the thing hadn't been stolen already, considering that she just kept in the stall. She'd nod about the next town, but she couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed. The smaller the town, the less interesting it was. However, she wouldn't mind being on the road again.

"It'll be nice to be on the road again. I'm sure there will be plenty of new things to see." She was trying to be optimistic at least.

There was bound to be security tightening at the treasured library, what with the distant commotion. Guards even gathered to inspect them, demanding a halt. Ash took it with casuality, hands at his sides and head tipped down. They didn't exactly look the part of invading soldiers, so unless Philomela acted completely suspicious--unlikely--they would be sent through.

"I'll find a map for you while we're here. Do you know what room to find your script in?" He asked, mulling in a corridor. "I can meet you there."

Philomela didn't act suspicious at all, and it was more than likely the guards probably recognized her given the fact that she spent most of her afternoons here. They were let through, and she'd nod. "I know right where it is. Down this hall, second room on the left, fourth case in, top shelf." She hadn't been kidding when she said she was fond of it, whatever it was.

As long as Ash understands the instructions, she's probably going to head off to claim her scroll and along the way she'd likely noticed that a few others she'd looked at were missing already. When Ash finds her, she's got two scrolls in her hands, and she's just sitting at the table, looking over one of them so she didn't look suspicious.

He'd be gone for a bit. It was... easy for him to get distracted in a place full of so much knowledge, but he was good enough at focusing himself. Within twenty minutes he walked into her room, not... appearing to carry much of anything. He was typically silent, so depending on how absorbed in her readings she was, she might not notice the swaggered approach. If not, he'd end up looming behind her to catch a glance of the document over her shoulder. What was it? --if he had the chance to take the look, that is.

Philomela didn't notice him right away, and so he probably got a glimpse of what she was reading, oddly enough, a text about Isis and her sister. It's probably his warmth that gives him away and she jerks and turns, only to find Ash.

She'd smile a little, and roll up the scroll, and she'd lower her voice, "How are we going to get these out of here?" Hopefully he wouldn't mind taking them both, it wasn't as if she had a grabbed up an arm full of scrolls. She'll probably look around the rest of the library longingly, "All this knowledge...it's sad." At least they'd be able to save a small portion of it.

"Some of it may survive. None of your words guaranteed complete destruction." He hinted. Still, as for the 'getting it out', he leaned down to murmer over her shoulder so as to not let his basal voice carry. "That's simple. You wrap them somewhere they'll never look. That's how I attained the map." Look up and down, you'll just see his dark garb. Scroll? Try and find it.

Philomela shivered when he got closer and lowered his voice, though it likely wasn't from being chilled. "Ah..." Her cheeks colored and she looked at the scrolls again, looking hesitant about it. She wasn't sure she could just take something that didn't belong to her. She had some sort of morals at least, and she'd been taught that stealing was wrong. On the other hand, if she left them, they might be destroyed.

She'd look around to make sure that nobody was watching, and then she's trying to think of an acceptable place to stuff her scrolls where they wouldn't be found. It wasn't as if she was wearing a lot of layers of clothing.

He offered a hand, "You look uncertain. Give them to me and I can take care of it." If he thought she could pull it off alone he probably wouldn't have come, anyway. He didn't make particular point to pull away when she shuddered, if he even noticed it--and knowing him, he did, even if he failed to grin at the idea of it.

Philomela looked relieved when he offered her help, and she'd pass the scrolls off to him, "Thank you." She'd keep her voice hushed. The shiver was ignored by her as well, it wasn't as if it had been a voluntary action. "Shall we head back to the barn then?" Namine was probably waiting around outside the library, since she had never been allowed in.

He took a glance about, turned away from her and... opened up the egyptian toga-like wrap, only outstanding in not being the traditional pale color. It folded in many layers, and... well, beneath it there wasn't much of anything. She might be surprised to see the idea of a hoof was gone, if the sandals told enough: Instead, it was a nearly skeletal structure of a foot--or even a hand-- coming to look like bird talons when covered by their rough scales, almost raptorine in its support. It made... walking without looking completely odd or like a gimp easier. Ignore him unraveling the scroll, reaching well underneath, and making a few odd expressions while the sound of the papyrus ruffling back shut became audible. "I'll just need to walk with slow practice. ...And don't be surprised. I do spend much time with Via." This just wasn't as typical of a pass-time for him. He stood, shifted, and tested. "Make point to talk as we pass anyone." Just in case paper on paper ended up heard. He uprighted, then offered the crook of his elbow if she took the hint to take hold of it. With that, he'll pace toward the same exit they had entered through, as to be recognized by the same guards that had already been accepting. "...So..." He pondered, "Have you ever thought of taking up other forms of divination? Runes, or cards, or palmistry perhaps? You'll need to find some way to pay your way along the road, and while I am not a large fan of those services being casually sold, I imagine you the responsible type."

Philomela took his elbow as if she had a done this a million times before, she was feeling a bit more confident now that Ash had the scrolls instead of her. If she had noticed the odd feet, she didn't comment on them.

"Um...no...?" She'd shake her head, "I was always taught that I shouldn't charge for my...services. It's a gift from a God and should be treated as such." She'd bite her lip, "Besides, I've never practiced with cards or runes or anything like that. I'm not even sure it would work the same as a...a...trance." That seemed to be the best word she had for it. Once they were back out of the building, Philomela's ever faithful goat would be joining them.

"Of course it isn't the same. You could learn. It's not as though you don't know diviners to teach you." He did what he could to keep pace brisk, so as to not accidentally incinerate the papers by taking too long with them against him, but at the same time had to mind ensuring they didn't... well, pop out. Safe? They seem pretty safe, if the goat's there bleating for them. "It's not typically a good idea to charge for it, but survival is fairly important too." He pointed out logally. "I could teach some simple lessons on what should not be done. ...That, however, is beside the point. When would you like to leave town? As soon as we collect your bag? I imagine Namine may end up ultimately happier if not initially bored. That stall is too rowdy for her to drop her kid in." Yeah, surprise, Philomela. He's aware. He's seen the signs more than once.

Philomela thought about it, "I do?" She's furrowing her brow, "Wouldn't it...um...not be good if you taught me that? Or won't you get in trouble or something?" She'd nod, "Alright...if you think it will help and that I won't get in trouble either." She really didn't want to get smote.

"I was thinking as soon as I collected my things. If...something really is coming, they might close the roads and not let anyone leave." He's speaking about Namine, and Philomela nearly trips over her own feet, "A kid? She's having a baby?" She'd look at her goat, and then at Ash, "Since when?" Well...since a few months now. "There aren't any boy goats in that barn!" Er...

"I've already taken punishment. What are they going to do, destroy me for it? Besides, I'm doing no more than furthering the capabilities of someone already devout in the field. In some ways it could be said I have right to help you blossom in seeing through the sun." If she fully understood what he meant by that.

He nodded. Her logic was sound, and the bar was nearly in sight. He paused, gesturing for her to step into a nearby alley. There, he'd find a crate to hike his leg on and... with some rattling paper, pull out a set of three scrolls ultimately wrapped over each other. Her two, and a localized map of the southern Sinai through north-east Africa, primarily Egypt, marked with relatively large cities. "Heh. I'm sure a few came through briefly. I can't say I'm certain who the culprit is." Even if he might have had a few ideas.

Philomela bit her lip, "Alright. If you think it'll be alright." He could teach her and help her earn her way across the world, or where ever they were going. She'll take the scrolls if they're offered, "Is she going to be okay?" She'd look down at her goat with a worried expression, "Lord Hermes says having a baby hurts." She'd even pat her goat on the head for good measure. If they'd continue on walking while they talked, she head for the barn and she'd gather up her things, opting to carry the pack herself for now since she was worried about her goat.

"It will. I notice human women tend to have it among the harshest, but goats are much like humans reproductively. She'll likely be confused, but myself, Via, or even Populus may be capable of talking to her and calming her during it. But she should be fine."

Philomela would tuck her newly acquired scrolls into her pack last, before putting it over her shoulder. She still seemed concerned, "Alright." She'd pat her goat again, and she'd be heading out of the barn. "Are...you going to walk with me for awhile?" Or was she going to be on her own along the road for the time being?

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Alexandria, Egypt

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus