Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Alexandria, Egypt

Ash (played by Minerva)

[ Important OOC notes: Anyone welcome with a few acknowledgments. This RP takes place a few years BC or thereabouts. This RP accepts anything paranormal, unusual etc but under the idea that they are not commonly known or accepted in the world. Those creatures that are unusual or display powers are perceived as gods, even if they're not so much. If your character walks around with glowing hair and shooting thunderbolts, he's gonna get weird reactions. We accept time travelers but their ipods may be seen as witchcraft.

Also, the following "gods" or equivalents have been claimed in continuity/story: Shamash, Horus, Helios, Pan, Apollo, Set, Apollyon, Erishkagal, Hermes, Thoth, Seshat, Athena, Anat, Dionysus; Norse god equivalents claimed even if ahead of time: Odin, Loki, Frigg and Freyja. Just... beware that anyone claiming those will be seen as a demi-urge of the entity as they have been already referenced and substantiated at some point or another before this. Prometheus and Kronos haven't been directly claimed but we would prefer them avoided. We'll accept time travelers, whatever. ]

Description for potential new entrants:

Alexandria, Egypt stood as a royal port town. It was only a few hundred years old by then, beckoning sailors in with the lighthouse of Alexandria; to this modern day, even, it had stayed marveled as one of the seven wonders of the world. Here, Roman culture spread like wildfire, intermingling pantheons. Hebrew scribes had come to begin translating into greek for the jews that had migrated there in the famous "The Septuaguta". This Pearl of the Mediterranean" was still a fast fishing community, with ancient dusty and light-toned brick structures melding egyptian and european influence. The ambience segregated it from more common localized egyptian settings, a thorough Hellenistic center serving as the link between Greece and the rich Nile Valley. As other cities fell, it rose as a center of commerce and trade. Bustling vendors tried to sell a variety of goods of varying usefulness and exotic flare. Greek, Jewish, and Egyptian were the common racial diversities seen about. Formal Roman rule was on the near horizon, if not already in a state of passing.

Raised waterworks outlined the city in demand from its low placement, serving both as fresh water and sewer conduits--though most houses were still without the idea of internal plumbing, at least it kept feces from piling in the streets; a disgusting idea, but not beyond the times. Many streets were laid with straw to quiet the clodding hooves and rolling wooden wheels of carts and wagons. Two large streets were each about two hundred feet wide which intersected in the center of the city, one leading in from the valued port. The Moon Gate rose in the Grand Square.

The fair-hearted Sophia still watched the lighthouse, but it would not be long before the invading troops of Caesar upset the dutiful woman's peace. On its completion, this ancient lighthouse, which rose a bit over 400 feet off the ground, was said to be the tallest structure on the planet at that time. Designed by the Greek architect Sostratus, this monument was built during the reign of King Ptolemy II. This famous pharos was said to have guided sailors into the harbor for more than 1,500 years was also the last of all the Wonders to have disappeared. It was toppled down by a number of earthquakes in the 14th century. But here, it stood young and strong as a fresh new idea.

The Lighthouse had three parts. The lowest was rectangular and about 180 feet tall. The second stage was shaped like a cylinder with a ramp going to the top. It was about 90 feet high. The third section was shaped like a cylinder and housed the flame. The Lighthouse was named Pharos after the island on which it stood near shore. Pharos means lighthouse in Spanish, French, and Italian modernly, for the record. The light on the top could be seen for 35 miles out at sea. Fuel was in the process taken to the top by horse drawn carriages on ramps before the onset of night. There was a mirror on the top of the Lighthouse that was probably made of bronze that reflected the light. A legend says that the miror in the lighthouse could be used to burn enemy ships in the harbor.

Greek Alexandria was divided into three regions:
Bruchem, the Royal or Greek quarter, forming the most magnificent portion of the city. In Roman times Brucheum was enlarged by the addition of an official quarter, making four regions in all. The city was laid out as a grid of parallel streets, each of which had an attendant subterranean canal;
The Jewish quarter in the northeast,
and Rhakotis, an old city that had been absorbed into ALexandria and was occupied chiefly by Egyptians.

Near the northeast but not quite in the jewish quarter, royal palaces filled the town and bore private ports. The great theater lay near, and would promise to be a fortress for caesar in later time. Near it, a temple to Poseidon, Saturn, and other familiar gods waited. A timonium, Emporium, and Apostases hung south of the docks. Behind the imporium rose two great obelisks, awaiting their time to soon flank Caesar in their growing rendition. The Gymnasium and Palaestra (an ancient greek wrestling school with a square shape and colonnades along all four sides creating porticuoes and big halls) were further inland, along with the Musaeum ("The Institution of the muses" later deemed as a "cabinet of curiosities") and its famous library.

The city held much promise, even if the threat of loss of its heritage loomed.

A certain old man--haggard in his shaggy beard and lionish mane of hair, yet well cleaned for the era with his sleek black trench and broad-brimmed cap--had returned to the Rhakotis pub during the evening, whenever he felt clear of a certain mysterious figure with odd accent. He hadn't been made particularly fond of the other, chided by the stranger like he was a child for something he had not yet done. He would rather be alone.";
Luci (played by Minerva) Topic Starter

If anyone thought Ash's hat impressively broad, they'd likely find his almost comical. As if the future inspiration of Carmen Sandiego, it was almost dangerously broad. It stuck out like a sore thumb amidst a drab world of faded and poor dyes, looking to have been dipped in a mixed vat of cool-toned prismatic paints, and one side carried vibrant plumes ranging from speckled pheasant, to peacock, through exotic birds of paradise and a convincing phoenix pinion.

The hat seemed to have been left alone, hanging from a wooden post at port's edge while it's owner went to and fro within the ship, bartering with the travelers--and doing so much more, but we will leave things fairly PG-13, thank you. Most of the port-men knew to leave the hat alone; it wasn't the first time they had seen it, and by whatever reason they took to respecting the seemingly misplaced figure.

Finally, a meddling thief reached out to try to claim his prize, glancing to and fro as if to wonder why nobody else had grabbed the surely-valuable accessory yet. That gap in time was enough to feel the cold flat of a blade pressing against the back of his hand with a slap. "Watch it, mate." Was spat in gutter-greek. Surprised, he glanced up to see a narrow blade being lifted tip-first towards his throat. The weapon's hilt bore wings for a guard and snakes climbing the blade in brace. The darkly outlined eyes of its wielder seemed slightly crazed. The egyptian thief raised his hands in surrender; uneducated to the other tongue, he stared dumbly. The sword-bearer sighed, repeating it in a late form of Akkadian, adding in a few less pure words to emphasize the idea. Even half of that was lost to the other, but the vague idea was received.

The scumbag looked him over, confused. His features were elsewise unthreatening, downright elfish. The rest of the attire, though in cut being a simple shepherd's garb, showed the hat must belong to him; each quilt-work patch was a different color, layered in occasional trims of black if only to further accentuate it. A few heated words and the thief took off in a run, sputtering a mix of threat and apology.

The colorful elf of a man sighed, lowered his head, and made motion to sheathe the sword. No sheathe was present, though. In fact, the blade shortened, thickened, and turned into a snake-wrapped stave crested in wings.

" 'Eyy, Jayyk!" Someone called from afar, causing Luci to glance with downright unsettling quickness his way. The generic accolades came into play, causing the vibrant one to relax. Shoulda' let us handle him. You sure scared him.

'Jayk' gathered to the pier his next group of kindred spirits gathered at, hopping up to sit atop a broad post and settling into conversation, listening more intently than he was credited over their discussion of the impending troops of Rome. For the time, he had settled 'his' priestess at safety's reach, but they had all followed him in this direction due to the fact that he did, in fact, have business here. His actions just made it so easy to forget.
Ferous (played by Minerva) Topic Starter

The next figure was... less impressive in many ways. A faded hood and cloak was once near-white, but had been beaten by sands into a dirty beige. The rest of the outfit matched, equally plain, save for the occasional hint of many-pocketed belt beneath the low-hanging shirt. They stood five-ten, with unremarkable thief's mask covering the lower half of the face, upper half mostly shadowed by wild rays of white hair, untamed and attempting to escape the hood. They stood in the library, browsing various titles, seeming to handle as many as possible and occasionally placing a small mark upon the bindings of more prized tones. Of course, they glanced to and fro before doing so. Security was already on high-alert, considering a thief had recently ran out with favored doctrines from the library, and older treasures of the musaeum. This figure had been mostly left alone ever since a certain display with a stave in front of Philomela, but... no need to raise any alarms.
Philomela (played by Loki)

Philomela had been traveling along with Draeval, following Namine along who seemed rather determined on her path. She was trying to find Luci again, so that she could continue on her quest. Draeval had asked her about myths, and so she was telling him some and generally only keeping an eye on her goat. She had left the inn that morning, without the intention of going back. She figured that it would take her a long while to find Hermes again.

So there she is, letting Namine lead her to the ports. Every now and then, she'd keep glancing behind herself, as if she were looking for someone.
Namine (played by Loki)

Namine was trotting along, pack slung across her back. She seemed to be pausing to sniff now and then, following the scent markers that Luci had promised he would leave for her.

It isn't long before their path led them down to the ports, to the brightly colored god they were looking for.

"NAAAAAH!" Found you! Namine'd bleat and then run straight for Luci, letting out excited little "Naahs!" And basically barreling through the people that surrounded him, so she could skid to a stop and butt her head against his leg. She did good! Give her pettings!

Hopefully she hadn't made anybody too angry when she'd been trying to get close to Luci.
Draeval (played by Rubix)

Draeval was still accompanying Philomela along her travels. And he was enjoying hearing the myths from this perspective, she was able to tell him things he'd never heard before. Or if he had heard them, he hadn't heard them in the oral tradition. He'd picked them up here or there, but it was expanding his knowledge and that was the important thing.

When Namine tore off for the port he looked up and narrowed his eyes. He hadn't pulled his glasses out at all on this trip because they didn't belong to this time period. He didn't want to be attacked for witch craft or anything, but the sight of a slightly explosive gray, black, and white color scheme made him smile. He didn't say anything, he really couldn't this wasn't "his" Luci. This was the past Luci. So for now he'd stay quiet and continue on with Mela.

Luci glanced up as the goat barreled through his comrades. She was met by a hand beneath and behind either ear for a solid rub as he continued to squat. "There's a girl."

'That your goat, Jayk?' Hell, one probably recognized her from the other night.

He cast an ear-to-ear grin, though one side slanted off oddly as he stared at the querying sailor, rising to stand with a hand at Namine's head. "I wish. Only when she chooses to be." It drew several odd looks and one embarassed one by the questioner. "She actually belongs to--" Glancing up through the new goat-afforded crease in the busy streets, he spied a familiar figure down the line. "--...Excuse me. Come on, Namine. Let's go." Hopefully she'd be sated by him... wedging his oddball hat atop her head, tipped up to let her see.

He retraced her steps as closely as he could, weaving through the gap that was quickly filling in with the normal hubbub of traffic. "Looking for little ol' me?" He reclaimed his typical row of pearly whites--not so much from the goat that barreled his way as the way she kept glancing about. He knew better.

You might imagine he would have overlooked Draeval, having never met the man before. Something about him was intangibly familiar though. He squinted and tilted his head with a certain timeless, birdish curiosity at the other. The aura was familiar, but... unidentifiable from a single, brief interaction the time before. He looked puzzled, but let it wash from his face with a new wave of energy directed at Mela. "All right! I saw Eudora to a temple further south. Unless you have any new prophecies over destruction outside of Alexandria, we are set." He clapped his hands together abruptly. "I mean, if you still feel like stalking me. If you don't I am totally fine with that, but I think Namine might be disappointed."

Philomela stopped when Namine barreled ahead, and she stood on her toes, probably spotting Luci. As he came closer, she'd give a small bow, still at least...trying to be sort of respectful. "Lord Hermes. I am surprised to find you still in town. I thought that I would have to wander far and wide." As for stalking him, "I've still got my quest to complete. Though...what's that you say about me predicting destruction?" She looked slightly alarmed, nobody had ever actually told her what she said that one time.

She'd turn to Draeval, "Forgive my rudeness. Lord Hermes, this is Draebal. Draebal, this is Lord Hermes." Well, they'd kind of...met now at least. Philomela would look at the basket on her arm, "Perhaps leaving the Inn was a little too hasty. Unless you plan to depart the city now?"
Namine (played by Loki)

Namine loved the ear scritches! She's going to rub her head against Luci again, and trot right along with him as he walks off and plops his hat on her head. She's got her head held high, and she's trotting along with him, and when he stops, she'll give a "Naaah!" Of disapproval. Of course they are going to stalk him! Those sailors just weren't as entertaining!

Draeval paused alongside Mela, watching as things transpired between the two. Well three when Namine arrived back to the group. He looked towards Luci when he felt his eyes on him, and the head tilt was reflected on Draeval. Could he remember the wolf that popped in and rescued Chiara? Perhaps, but then future Luci had never said anything about that. Or had he made that mention? Drae could barely keep his own timeline straight.

Philomela properly introduces him and he'll give a smile and a bit of an elegant half bow. It's slightly French Renaissance, and not period at all. But it's very Draeval, sweeping and elegant with just a dash of flamboyance. "Nice ta meet ya, Lord 'ermez." Perhaps he recognizes the strange accent?

He looked exhasperated. "What is it that I've told you about calling me 'Lord' anything?" He glanced around, and found a few curious eyes settling on the conversation due to the muddled cultural influences of the metropolis. "...Via, or Luci are acceptable. Jayk also works in the ports." He did what he could to neutralize gazes their way, but that half-crazed dart-about of his eyes never helped anything. He shrugged it off while slipping a black lock behind his ear. His greek was a muddled form called gutter-greek; at times it held propriety and others it waned into being painfully casually. " 'Ello, Drae-Ball." He responded to the out of era elegance. He turned to speak to Philomela with finger raised, but paused and jerked his gaze to Draeval as if he wanted to say something. His mouth hung open for a moment, spiraling it in the air and using it to see that thought off to the side to be discussed later.

Back to the skyward fingerpoint of informing! "...When Alexandria earns roman ire... yadda yadda, a fire, many tomes will expire," He summarized for her, glancing between the two. "...Honey, honey. I'm always running abroad. The reason we came to Alexandria was that so I had better excuse to cross Eudora's path, as most of my business is demanding my attention here." He pointed immediately underfoot. " Surely you don't think Ygg sailing here was merely to gawk at you--just a benefit he enjoys, probably. Where there is trouble, I am there. And where I am, he invests interest. Your sight of dark fortunes only ascertained that there is something of interest going on here. Human affairs have centered here for a while, and now it seems to go beyond that. Though I do hear further east will be in an uproar in an undetermined amount of time; it's why I decided to take Eudora south and not east, as charming as the east is."

Er posted on wrong name, will edit on thread, it just won't update in chat. XD

Philomela is chastised, "Sorry Lo--Luci." It was hard to bounce back and forth, considering that she didn't call Pan and Athena by their first names. She still looked confused, "Why did nobody tell me? I...need a scribe." Only that cost money. Maybe one day! She would have continued, but her face is turning a bright shade of red, and she looks hurt and insulted at the idea that Ash had sailed all this way for her. "I would never even think such a thing!" Judging by how hurt she looked, the thought had actually never crossed her mind, "That's a terrible thing to suggest." Hermes' thoughts of Philomela must be awfully low.

"How was I supposed to know if you were leaving or not? I've followed you for months and your wanderings have never made sense." Let's not forget she was tracking him all over Greece until she actually was able to run into him. "I've had an idea anyway, when it comes to the quest." Her cheeks were still all red, and she was still stiff, his insult had really stung.
Namine (played by Loki)

Namine looked up at Philomela and bleated quietly, before taking a bit of Luci's cloak in her mouth to chew on. She's careful this time, she's not biting too hard, she just wants attention. Spoiled goat! Her tail is swishing, and her ears flick. Someone is wandering by though, and Namine trots off after him, likely it was a sailor she'd accosted the night before. She'd stand in front of him, and butt his head against him for attention. He looked around, before giving her a quick pat on the head. When he leaned in to do so, she nipped the purse he had hanging around his belt, and took it in her mouth, before trotting off. He may have been drunk, because he didn't notice; and walked on, not bothering with a backwards glance. Namine obediently trotted back to Luci and looked up at him with the coin purse in her mouth, her tail wagging. She almost seemed...proud of herself. It wasn't much money at all, but it was better than nothing!

Draeval had to smile, he'd just heard those same words from Luci not too long ago hadn't he? "I tink I like da ring ub Luci." Of course he did, that's what he called him! Ahem. He smiled and nodded, before there was a finger held in the air. Right, shhhuuuussssshhhhhh Drae it's not your turn to talk yet. Good thing he's obedient and didn't interrupt, though he looked at Namine and had to suppress a chuckle at her stealing.

He blinked. "We didn't?" Oops. Namine had been fighting for his attention but, briefly distracted, she walked off!

Double oops, she seemed hurt by the ribbing he had intended to be harmless. He glanced any direction but at her face. "Too bad." He tried to neutralize the burn. "Old Ygg probably would have been happy if you did."

Oh. There the goat was. He squatted to her level and... chuckled as he pulled the coinpurse from her mouth. He gave her a headrub with the other hand, the first exposing the purse to Mela. "Well, Namine's helpfully afforded an investment towards a scribe." If she dared to reach for it, he dropped it in her hand; elsewise, it was twirled by its string about the finger a few times after being sinched, before tucked into his robe. The goat still earned a passive earscritch, pressing her up against his leg and rubbing mindlessly as he spoke.

"'Mela, you'd better learn I never make any sense. Well, to the better part of the world, anyway. Even Populus has trouble figuring me out. My journies vary, but you will find me around the biggest sources of commotion. And you... Drae. Can I call you Drae? Pardon me... but have we met before?" He finally dared to query, once they weren't concerned over forgotten prophecies and whatnot.

Philomela shook her head, "No...and I never remember what I do say. It's bad when I'm traveling alone." Who knows what she had predicted along the way! Well...except for Namine. She's still blushing as Luci tries to make his statement better.

She'll just watch her sweet little goat with her jaw dropped and she'll take the coins when offered to her. "Ah...but....Namine!" She'd scold the goat, who would flatter her ears. "You taught her to do that didn't you?" She's looking at Luci as she said this, "You're corrupting my poor sweet goat..." HA. Namine was anything but!

"Well, thanks for the tip, if I ever lose you again." She's grinning a little, so she can't be too angry at him. "Shall we head back to the inn for now?" She did say she had things to propose.

She'd only glance at Draeval, wondering if he'll come clean on meeting Luci before.
Namine (played by Loki)

Namine would press against Luci's side when she's scolded, her ears going flat. She was just trying to help! Honest! And maybe impress Hermes, just a little bit. She'll resume her chewing on his cloak. Philomela was less than pleased with her little gift, and that made Namine feel sad! She'd give a quiet, "Naah..." Before she went back to chewing.

Draeval looked back at Luci when he was spoken to and nodded, "Drae iz juz fine. An yez, we 'abe but bery briefly. I came ta retriebe a friend ub mine named Keyra." Hopefully he could understand Draespeak.

Mela earned a look and he smiled at her, "Z'e'z juz tryin ta take care ub ya. Loyal companion dat one iz."

"Look. Now you've made her sad." He lightly scolded Philomela, if all in play. Luci plucked his hat back off the thieving goat, looking to and fro when accused. "Hey now. She's a very smart goat. She's just seen her share of thieving since we came to a city this large." Yeah. Mostly from him. But neverminding that. "It'll help get you by trying to keep up with me. Take it as a blessing." He dismissed, plunking his cap on.

The idea of heading back to the inn had him shove his hands in his pockets and shrug. "I've found and heard what I need to for now. Take me where you will." It seemed all the better a location to talk to Draeval, anyway. He was already thinking at length through Draeval's accent, before fistpalming his eureka. "Oh! Chiara! The lost traveler that claimed she was married to Populus! Hah!" Gotcha. There was a moment of identification, before more curiosity hit him while already walking back towards the inn, regardless of if Philomela followed. Hopefully at least Drae and Namine captured the 'follow' gesture, because he was lowering his voice. "No chance you were the one that frustrated father lately, eh?" He pried. Yeah, he'd heard. Ash had asked who the new line-crossing fella joining their rag-tag group was, and all Luci could do was blink curiously. Until now, of course.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Alexandria, Egypt

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus