Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Quick-link to characters and players

Sanne Moderator

.. By using BBC! :D

Instead of typing out any of these:
Code:
[url=http://www.rprepository.com/c/Yeun]Yeun[/url] [url=/c/Yeun]Yeun[/url] [url=http://www.rprepository.com/p/Sanne]Sanne[/url] [url=/p/Sanne]Sanne[/url]

Make it simple, such as:
Code:
[c]Yeun[/c] [p]Sanne[/p]

Either one of these will automatically convert to a link to the character Yeun or the player Sanne. Pros being that it makes it easier to link to each other without having to type out the entirely URL or copy/pasting it into the URL tag. Cons might be that this could be more difficult to implement than it's worth...
Claine Moderator

I love this idea! It'd make casually linking characters so much easier.

However, one problem I can think of is that many characters share the same name. For example, if you do a search you'll find there are 7 characters with the first name 'Nero'. So if I wanted to link my character 'Nero' I'd have to use a different, unique name or the site wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

(Edited to re-include stupid?)
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

Claine wrote:
I love this idea! It'd make casually linking characters so much easier.

However, one problem I can think of is that many characters share the same name. For example, if you do a search you'll find there are 7 characters with the first name 'Nero'. So if I wanted to link my character 'Nero' I'd have to use a different, unique name or the site wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Hmm... I didn't think of that. I was just thinking of the unique URL that you can assign a character, like I did with, for example, Yeun. That's how the /c/Yeun/ link works too.

It should at least work for players though?
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Claine, that's not a stupid observation, put it back! :P

I mentioned something like this to Kim about a week ago and she said it would be difficult to impliment for that very reason.

It is a very good idea though :)
With the problem Claine mentioned...
What if it was a full name?

For instance, instead of Nero, it would be [c]Nero (lastnamehere)[/c]

The likelihood of a character having the exact same first name and last name is very slim.

Also this is coming from someone who doesn't know a thing about programming code so I don't know if this would actually work or not. =x
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

CelestinaGrey wrote:
With the problem Claine mentioned...
What if it was a full name?

For instance, instead of Nero, it would be [c]Nero (lastnamehere)[/c]

The likelihood of a character having the exact same first name and last name is very slim.

Also this is coming from someone who doesn't know a thing about programming code so I don't know if this would actually work or not. =x

There are more characters without a last name than with. Everything on the site works with a numeric ID. Yeun for example is char #2450. My player ID is #574. Usernames are unique, so this would work with [p]Sanne[/p] (there is no other Sanne on the site and there can't be unless I delete my account), but characters are not truly assigned a unique name until we edit their friendly URLs.

[c]Yeun[/c] will ONLY work if I set her friendly URL to 'Yeun'. If someone else is already using this friendly URL, it doesn't work. So it is a problematic thing to code. :(
This idea is relevant to my interests. MAKE IT HAPPEN. If not, that's cool too...
Kim Site Admin

Yeah, sadly this idea comes up regularly and it's really not feasible for us. The site was built to make it possible for people from different games (like Furcadia vs. Warcraft, for example) to not have to fight over character names, which makes it all but impossible to safely implement this.
CelestinaGrey wrote:

It's actually super common with certain popular names. We have several characters that share an identical name right now, and more to come... And even if it only breaks occasionally, I don't feel comfortable implementing something that I know is going to break, and has no fix on those occasions that it does happen. In this case, the breakage is likely to lead to cases of mistaken identity as the site just picks a random character to link to from those with the same name, which I consider a pretty severe problem.

Friendly URLs are indeed unique, but if you're having to go visit someone's site to find out what word or phrase or part of their name they assigned themselves, you may as well at that point go copy/paste the entire URL anyway.

Player names are better candidates even though they do change occasionally, but it would be a savings of 3 letters. By that I mean you can make a url out of anyone's username by adding /p/ to the front.

url=/p/kim, for example.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Quick-link to characters and players

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus