Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Let's Rock ...

FALLEN_

What's up?
After tinkering with the character system and lurking around here and there, guess I'm finally ready for an introduction. So there it goes, folks.
I'd like to go ahead and say that I already liked the community because of it's... 'Variety'. There's all kinds of tastes around here and this seems to be quite interesting, exciting, in fact.

I'm quite the beginner at roleplaying but I must say that it was my favorite hobby for quite some years, even though they were one-liners, evolving with time, of course.
But there's something that just ticks me off; Long character sheets.

Does anybody else agrees with me that sheets ruin the storytelling factor of a progressing game?
Writing down all of your character desires, angsts, strengths and fears straight ahead kills any element of surprise for the other players finding by themselves, and interacting as well, with those traits.
Certainly, it gives players some confidence that these characters will not abuse their limits, but, screw it, I want to have fun. There is something absolutely thrilling about those "surprises", without character sheets, you have absolutely no expectancy of what could happen anywhere.
It's just my point of view, of course and maybe a rookie's fantasy/escapism, but I absolutely love when you have information just enough about a character's reference.

Sheesh, I give you my gratitude (and nothing else!) for reading that text-wall, if you did, heh.
Either way, it's good to be part of RPR... I just hope at least someone doesn't mind my preferences. >_>
EpicMan561

Dude. Holy crap, you are like my soul brother. Welcome to RPR! Glad you're having fun! I'd be glad to RP with you.
Blu_Dino

Welcome to RPR! I love your picture! I hope you have fun here and that you dont get lost xD Ah, and i also wish you to make friends here! (Everybody's so wonderful and friendly!)

I'm out!

*throws a smoke bomb and runs away like an ostrich.
Welcome to RPR! Everyone here has their own style, and yes there are people that don't like surprises. There are also some people that will surprise you, sometimes a longer profile doesn't give away a lot, but sets up the story the player wants to tell. Everyone is super friendly here, so no matter what your preferences or styles I am sure you'll find awesome new friends to RP with! :)
Kim Site Admin

Welcome! :)

We actually had a big community discussion about this awhile back. I wrote up a summary -- there's a whole big section on sharing secrets or not. I think you'll find it very interesting: http://www.rprepository.com/help/kickbutt-character-profiles
*reads wall of text* well, it's good to know your preferences :3
Sanne Moderator

Welcome to the site! :) I too love our community for its diversity and kindness, I think you'll fit right in!

As for the sheets, I am of the opposite opinion! I think they're great to help me flesh out my characters and, as I play so many of them (50+ profiles right now) these sheets help me stay in character when they've been on the shelf for a while. Interesting details that greatly contribute to a plot don't need to be revealed to others to have a detailed sheet, so it's about striking the proper balance. My personal experience with short and summarized profiles and a 'does whatever' attitude have been mostly negative, unfortunately, hence my preference for detailed sheets.

The great thing about RPR is that the diversity in the community allows for all sorts of preferences to exist and discuss them politely with an 'agree to disagree' attitude up front, so you're bound to find buckets of people who share your views. ;) RP for everyone!
HibariHaru

Hello hello hello! Welcome to RPR! :D
Welcome to RPR, hope you enjoy it!
Welcome to RPR! While some character detail is good, I agree that it doesn't do much for the RP if all of your character is put on the sheet, to the very last little detail. I too like to have some secrets about my character. Revealing them just makes it all the more fun! :D Hope you find character sheets that are the length you enjoy!
Let me just say, first of all I adore your name. Fallen, it is just one of those words that has a strength to it.
My main character is the fallen archangel Raphael. :>
Second, Welcome welcome to RPR!
And third, that is a gorgeous dog you have as your avatar.

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Let's Rock ...

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus