Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Chrome for a Cause - Donate by browsing websites!

Sanne Moderator

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2010/12/browse-for-good-cause.html
Quote:
Whether it’s bug fixes to the Chromium open source project, dazzling apps and extensions arriving daily in our Web Store, or boundary-pushing Chrome experiments -- the Chrome community never fails to inspire us with their awesomeness.

This holiday, we wanted to enable the Chrome community to work together for a good cause. Starting today, we invite you to support five worthy causes by counting and “donating” the tabs you open in Chrome.

Everyone’s total tabs will determine a charitable donation made on behalf of the Chrome community, up to one million dollars. Here's what your tabs can do:
10 tabs = 1 tree planted
10 tabs = 1 book published and donated
25 tabs = 1 vaccination treatment provided
100 tabs = 1 square foot of shelter built
200 tabs = 1 person's clean water for a year
To find out more about this effort and the organizations we're partnering with, visit google.com/chrome/intl/en/p/cause/.

Want to participate?
Get the Chrome for a Cause extension
Browse the web with Chrome between December 15 - 19
At the end of each day, you’ll be prompted to click on the extension to submit your tabs
Choose which charity you’d like to support with that day’s tabs -- you can always support the same charity, or pick a different one each day
Next week, we’ll be sharing the details of the good deeds you’ve enacted. In the meantime, browse away!

I already have it installed and just by opening tabs to browse websites, I have planted 1 tree. :D (I installed it shortly before midnight my time, so it allowed me to send it when the time hit 12am) If you use Chrome I recommend you give it a shot!
Kim Site Admin

Chrome is a marvelous triumph of browser engineering, making my job easier and the RPR look nicer than any other browser. Although Firefox doesn't do a bad job either.

I love this idea, I am definitely going to try installing the plugin tonight.
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

When you hit x tabs, there's a popup at the bottom right that tells you what you can donate. Just now I got a popup telling me "You just earned enough tabs to donate a tree or a published book!"
I've had this for about 15 minutes, and I have 60 tabs recorded :P. Thanks for sharing this, Sanne!
dude, everybody get this and hit up wikipedia + tv tropes

world's problems = solved
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

The donation spree has ended! I have donated a few dozen trees, clean water for several people and some vaccinations! :3

This was fun, I hope Google will do something like this in the future!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Chrome for a Cause - Donate by browsing websites!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus