Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Posemaniacs exercises

Sanne Moderator

Who's up to do some daily Posemaniacs with me?! :D

If you don't know what Posemaniacs is, it's a site that has model figures of males and females in many different poses and angles. They're not nude, but they show the muscles beneath the skin instead. No nipples or naughty bits there!

The idea is to sketch the figure you're being shown as quickly and accurately as you can, but not to linger on getting it right. You draw for 10, 30 or maybe 90 seconds per pose (you can adjust the timer), but when the timer is up, you ditch the drawing and get on to a NEW pose.

The idea behind this is to make you comfortable with the anatomy by not focusing on the details. It will improve your angles and helps you understand how perspective and the anatomy work instead. Details can come later! It doesn't matter if you got it right or if it looks decent. The point is that you do this for about 5-10 minutes per day, every day for a few weeks to get comfortable with the poses and anatomy after all. It's practice!

http://www.posemaniacs.com - The main site has a whole archive of the poses. You can view them individually and study them up close if you want and draw them in detail.

http://www.posemaniacs.com/thirtysecond Or you can do the thirty second exercise I explained above! That's what I'm doing and want to do for a few days at least. :D

This exercise is much more fun if you do it together with others. So, is anyone up for it? Even beginning artists can give this a shot, and I'd love to see how you guys draw these poses!
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

pm1.png

pm2.png

pm3.png

These are my sketches for today. :) I set them at 90 seconds to start with.

pm5.jpg

No timed exercise for this. :) Didn't take much longer than 20 minutes though.
This is really cool! I think I'm going to have to try this--it certainly couldn't hurt my lack of drawing ability. And I always wanted to learn to draw people in poses... Thanks for the links! If I get around to drawing anything, I'll see if I can post my feeble attempts. :)
Oh my gosh! I've been looking for a site like this to practice my poses! I'll try the 30 second thing soon, but first Im' going to have fun just looking at things and taking my time on a few. :D

Instead of a Posemaniacs exercise, I decided to give it a shot at acrylic painting. I haven't really painted in what I thought was 2 years, but then I realized I haven't painted since high school. ;_; I looked at a quick tutorial on youtube to freshen up my memory, and decided to give my hand at a tree.

A boring, dark tree. XD But I painted it, and I'm very very proud of it~ (It's a shame the photos don't do it justice >.< )

tree1.jpg

tree2_rotated.jpg

Luulu wrote:
Oh my gosh! I've been looking for a site like this to practice my poses! I'll try the 30 second thing soon, but first Im' going to have fun just looking at things and taking my time on a few. :D

The site is and AMAZING resource. The fact you can view poses at all angles in the normal viewer helps to really understand anatomy. XD Please do share results, even if you're not using the timer!
Your tree! It looks fantastic! Like it might hold some dark secret... *punts plotbunny out of the room*

I haven't painted since graduating college--took an Art 101 class and decided that if they could teach me to draw, I'd consider it a success. I passed with flying colors, though I haven't drawn anything since. So...now I want to.

I'll see if I can upload what I do draw. Thanks for the inspiration!

PenGryphon2007 wrote:
Your tree! It looks fantastic! Like it might hold some dark secret... *punts plotbunny out of the room*

I haven't painted since graduating college--took an Art 101 class and decided that if they could teach me to draw, I'd consider it a success. I passed with flying colors, though I haven't drawn anything since. So...now I want to.

I'll see if I can upload what I do draw. Thanks for the inspiration!

Well I AM a Druid! XD *retrieves plotbunny* <.<

I'm REALLY hoping people will share! It's so much more fun together. ;_;
Belated reply! But, this is a character Mary-Sue, drawn using a posemaniacs figure!

No idea how to post a picture. But! If you go you Mary-sue's gallery it is on there. T.T

Code:
[img]http://www.yoursite.com/yourimage.jpg[/img]

That should do the trick. :)

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Posemaniacs exercises

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus