Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Facebook Like

Jetticus

I don't know if this is already in here, and if it is, feel free to delete this duplicate.

You know how Facebook has that "Like" button for everything? Well what would it take to add it to this site so we can have this site branch into higher tiers of Facebook? We could make RPR viral with the right campaign. :D
Sanne Moderator

Jetticus wrote:
I don't know if this is already in here, and if it is, feel free to delete this duplicate.

You know how Facebook has that "Like" button for everything? Well what would it take to add it to this site so we can have this site branch into higher tiers of Facebook? We could make RPR viral with the right campaign. :D

I'd rather +1 stuff! *prefers Google+* :P

That's a neat suggestion. Can you explain why you'd want this? What do you think this will add to the site? Do you suggest this for forum posts, or for characters and players? We already have kudos - you can always write a bit more of a detailed comment on why you like something on a character or player, perhaps the post they wrote instead of just 'liking' it! I think people appreciate the kind words most. :)
Jetticus Topic Starter

Well what I would allow us to do is link our forums, characters, pages, etc. into Facebook, for more exposure for RPR, and to be honest I want to get my friends into this, because I know they will dig it. If I just send them a link they are like, "Uh... I'll check it later." If you "Like" or "+1" something they will be like, "Interesting..." I only say this because I think these exact thoughts when I am on my Facebook or Google+.

This is just an idea, I think that it could be a huge part of increasing the member growth and the incredibly creativity level of RPR.

A good example of something this worked for was League of Legends, the number one free game in the world... just an idea! :D
Kim Site Admin

So... Yes, eventually. XD My plan was to create a widget people could put on their character's page if they wanted to allow people to like or +1 them automatically. News posts will definitely be getting these buttons eventually -- actually, they HAD them for about a day, and they got yanked because the facebook API was driving me nuts. I forget what went wrong, just that everything was broken and I was furious and tired. But I'll revisit it.

Forum posts I need to do a lot of thinking about how to do it. There's been requests for an internal "like" system as well, which is both a great idea and a nightmare for the already over-stressed notifications system. I'm still debating it. But if it happens, there'd need to be a lot of thought put into integrating the two and making it clear that one was on-site and one was off and what the differences and pros/cons were.
Jetticus Topic Starter

Well, the API has been known to cause logging issues and things, so I understand that. No criticism either, I was just suggesting.

I do like the idea of an internal system as well, but the simplest way to do that would be to have a star rating system for the site. Making it anonymous maybe a requirement for that as well though... I know that there are members who just log in to read certain forums I have seen up to 6 people on my posting for my "Gypsy" RP, which I have moved to group because it was no longer PG13.

I know that something like this would take considerable undertaking, so go at your own pace of course. I just think that this site is such a gem that keeping it to myself feels selfish lol I know that sounds dumb, but I spend SOOOO much time here that for the first time EVER I am willing to pay for a service I get for free practically just because I want the site to do so much better.

Kim I know this is your baby, but I would love to know that your baby could provide for you one day, not just a portion of your host fees. I want Kim, to be the next Mark Zuckerburg(almost positive I spelled that wrong, but I'm too lazy to Google it.)!

I had a thought as well, since we're on the Facebook side of this, it's not far off subject, would you like to go on a posting frenzy and pass around RPR like crazy? If you're against that idea I understand, it would likely be why I asked in the first place. lol
Sanne Moderator

Oooh, you meant actually integrating FB's own like-button? I thought you meant implementing a feature where you 'like' posts and such on RPR without being linked to FB! Whoops.

I'm not particularly in favor. In my humble opinion, if Facebook is implemented all other social networks need to be included as well. I rarely use Facebook even if I have an account there, I'd much rather tweet or G+ instead! That might just be me though. (I'm not a fan of FB period and how non-FB related services use your account for logins and such, it makes me biased)
Kim Site Admin

Jetticus, I love everything you just said. Just adore it. I have vivid day dreams about my job just being RPR. About programming new features all day. About hiring gobs of artists to help me churn out new templates. That would be a dream come true. This place is doing okay with me putting in some hours after work, but there are so many areas where a few weeks of devotion could make it absolutely shine and I just can't get away from work long enough to do all of it.

So in short: Promote away! :D

We had a contest on our birthday last year, where every link someone posted to us on another site counted as an entry into a raffle for awesome prizes. It was a big success, and we will definitely be doing it again this year. It was a huge success. I just about died of happiness when people started blogging about us.
Jetticus Topic Starter

Well, the idea is that you would integrate major sites, Twitter, Google+, Facebook, etc. That is just a lot to take on.

Google+ does that too, read your new privacy policy lol
Sanne Moderator

Jetticus wrote:
I had a thought as well, since we're on the Facebook side of this, it's not far off subject, would you like to go on a posting frenzy and pass around RPR like crazy? If you're against that idea I understand, it would likely be why I asked in the first place. lol

A little while ago, there was a contest for all of RPR. It included raising awareness of RPR by spreading links all around the web, including RPR! It only helps RPR if you spread the word, though be careful about not spamming other sites with it. You could leave a bad impression if you overdo it and annoy people, and the last we want is for that to happen!

So go nuts! :D
Jetticus Topic Starter

I'm going to blow up so many sites now that you've suggested I'm good to do this... I have helped to raise the views of YouTube videos by almost 100k, I know this because I posted the link around... 2k times?

You're both awesome, I know that Kim gets major kudos, and she deserves it, but You mods are always able to help us and that's awesome so you get major kudos as well, in fact I will actually give you all Kudos shortly!! :D

Anyway to summarize

Facebook Like: It's a good idea, just a pain at the moment.

Kim being Mark Z.: Is going to happen

Jetticus passing RPR around like crazy: Brilliant

Mods being Awesome: This is a given

I think I have covered my bases. ;)
Sanne Moderator

Jetticus wrote:
Google+ does that too, read your new privacy policy lol

You mean about the login? G+ integrates into its own sites. Youtube and Gmail and Google+ are all part of Google and share one account. There are sites, like blogs, that allow (sometimes require!) you to use your Facebook account to login, even though Facebook is not the creator, owner or maintainer of that website. Such a thing disturbs me because it means I am sharing my info outside of Facebook when I do that. :( And with some sites requiring it, it doesn't sit well with me.

That's my personal issue with FB though, and has little to do with RPR itself. I just hope that integration doesn't become so huge that FB ends up being half of what RPR is! It would make me saaaad.

On topic though, Kim ninja'd me there. XD Has it already been a year?! Gosh...
Kim Site Admin

Sanne wrote:
Oooh, you meant actually integrating FB's own like-button? I thought you meant implementing a feature where you 'like' posts and such on RPR without being linked to FB! Whoops.

I'm not particularly in favor. In my humble opinion, if Facebook is implemented all other social networks need to be included as well. I rarely use Facebook even if I have an account there, I'd much rather tweet or G+ instead! That might just be me though. (I'm not a fan of FB period and how non-FB related services use your account for logins and such, it makes me biased)

*cough*Personally, I loathe Facebook. It is a noise box where 300 people I don't know send me personal messages and requests to work on their fake farms that I find inappropriate for our actual level of acquaintance, and post weird comments on photos of me bellydancing that other people uploaded publicly without asking whether I was okay with it... *cough*

I also know that facebook is by FAR the largest social network on the planet, and that 250 million people have accounts, with 175 million of those people logging in at least once every day. It's sort of suicide to ignore them, for anyone who wants to make an online thing and have it go viral.

But it's also rare for any site integrating social network buttons to only do facebook. I'd definitely include twitter and G+. Assuming G+'s API is up to snuff, when I looked at it a few months back they weren't ready for buttons yet. Seems like that must have changed by now though.
Jetticus Topic Starter

It's fine to 'Loathe' Facebook, I understand... I use it daily though... So I'm a hypocrite for sure.

Now then, addressing what Sanne said about RPR into a Facebook outlet, I very much doubt that would happen for a couple reasons...

1. Kim loves this place too much

2. We love this place too much

3. Kim listens to us, and I mean Genuinely listens to us.

4,5,6: RPR is not for everyone, just those that want it to be for them ;)
Kim Site Admin

Sanne wrote:
You mean about the login? G+ integrates into its own sites. Youtube and Gmail and Google+ are all part of Google and share one account. There are sites, like blogs, that allow (sometimes require!) you to use your Facebook account to login, even though Facebook is not the creator, owner or maintainer of that website.

Not so! ANY website can integrate a Google login, or make that the ONLY method of login if they like. I've built a few myself. I kind of love it because it means I don't have to remember yet another password, or create another account on yet another site, I just arrive and discover I'm good to go.
Kim Site Admin

Jetticus wrote:
It's fine to 'Loathe' Facebook, I understand... I use it daily though... So I'm a hypocrite for sure.

Hahaha, I use it daily as well. All my friends are there and they all just seem to expect that I interact with them there and plan outings there, so I do. It just makes me uncomfortable sometimes. Plus, I maintain the RPR facebook page, which in truth I like much more than my normal profile. :D The day I filled out the "timeline" with all our major accomplishments gave me this huge rush, to see it all laid out like that.

Never fear Sanne. The RPR will not be allowing itself to be eaten by Facebook. It will eventually offer convenient ways to output stuff you like here onto your facebook profile through likes -- but only if you want to. Just like you can follow our RPR fan page on facebook, but it's completely optional, and you can get pretty much identical content through twitter if that floats your boat better.

It will never ever be mandatory or a backbone part of the site. For one thing, I know there are people around here who are closet nerds who would neeeever "like" something here in case their friends found out they were a RPer. And that's fine by me too. We're our own thing. :)
Jetticus Topic Starter

Nicely put Kim,

I would like to just add that RPR will make leaps and bounds soon, whether I have to learn code that is revolutionary or win the lottery it will... blood, sweat, and tears Kim!
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Kim wrote:
Hahaha, I use it daily as well. All my friends are there and they all just seem to expect that I interact with them there and plan outings there, so I do. It just makes me uncomfortable sometimes. Plus, I maintain the RPR facebook page, which in truth I like much more than my normal profile. :D The day I filled out the "timeline" with all our major accomplishments gave me this huge rush, to see it all laid out like that.

Yes! I have the same problem. I prefer Google+ and was happy when my friends started switching over to it but then they went back :(
Kim Site Admin

Actually, not to spam the thread, but I know that a growing majority of people under 30 leave a facebook window open pretty much all day, or check it multiple times a day on their phone/mobile device. In the past I have mentioned possibly making a plugin that added RPR notifications to your facebook page, so you could keep track of what was going on here while you were there.

It's still down the line a bit, but I have to learn how to write proper Facebook apps for work one of these days anyway, so practicing on something that would be useful for the RPR would be really good. Basically, I think it would help people who aren't "power users" to not forget about us, bring them to the site more often (because they'd be presented with links as their friends did stuff), and generally make them more likely to get and stay involved and therefor to become a supporter of the site.

For example, I saw a pretty significant spike in people returning to abandoned accounts when I started sending out birthday messages. If one reminder a year can move the meter on daily activity, what would daily or weekly reminders do for us? I'm sure as heck not going to be spamming people's emails, but people expect frequent updates through facebook...
Kim Site Admin

Jetticus wrote:
I would like to just add that RPR will make leaps and bounds soon, whether I have to learn code that is revolutionary or win the lottery it will... blood, sweat, and tears Kim!

You're a boss. ;)

I wish I could say more about what is planned for April! Eeee!
Jetticus Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Actually, not to spam the thread, but I know that a growing majority of people under 30 leave a facebook window open pretty much all day, or check it multiple times a day on their phone/mobile device. In the past I have mentioned possibly making a plugin that added RPR notifications to your facebook page, so you could keep track of what was going on here while you were there.

It's still down the line a bit, but I have to learn how to write proper Facebook apps for work one of these days anyway, so practicing on something that would be useful for the RPR would be really good. Basically, I think it would help people who aren't "power users" to not forget about us, bring them to the site more often (because they'd be presented with links as their friends did stuff), and generally make them more likely to get and stay involved and therefor to become a supporter of the site.

For example, I saw a pretty significant spike in people returning to abandoned accounts when I started sending out birthday messages. If one reminder a year can move the meter on daily activity, what would daily or weekly reminders do for us? I'm sure as heck not going to be spamming people's emails, but people expect frequent updates through facebook...

You're not spamming, I've been doing my best to keep up with that, but RPing for a few groups and managing two now it's a lot lol. I go to school full time and that's a lot on my plate while planning a wedding... lol

What I am getting at is that I have been working on my general programming knowledge, it's not great yet, but I don't feel so freaking stupid now.

I'm going to get a Facebook App for dummies book, because believe it or not they have it. :D

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Facebook Like

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus