Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Art Programs?

So I regularly use Gimp, including for drawing. But I would like to upgrade to something better suited for drawing. Gimp isn't great for sketching, and it's pretty basic. I know that a lot of digital artists like to use Paint Tool Sai, and while I'd like to use it, I 1) am not willing to put $50 into it until I'm more comfortable drawing and doing it regularly, and 2) do not want to use a pirated version like so many people do.

So my question is this: What sort of free programs do ya'll like to use for your artwork? What are the pros and cons? What other paid options are available, and for what costs?
I used to use GIMP for art, then I moved onto SAI. SAI is so far the best programme I've used. I've fiddled around with Photoshop but I'm not really savvy at it yet to tell you if it's a good or bad programme to use, or if it's superior.
Claine Moderator

I personally use Clip Studio which is basically Manga Studio but with a different name ??? Anyway, it is brilliant! Really smooth lining, and lots of features that aren't even in Sai.

Usually Manga Studio is about $50 but a few times a year it goes on sale for $15. Maybe that'd be a more reasonable price point if you're unsure. Just need to keep an eye out for the sale!
Kim Site Admin

I've actually done a lot of large scale artwork in GIMP and did not find it significantly limiting as compared to Photoshop. If free is your desired price, I'd stick with it, and maybe watch a lot of tutorials on how to make best use of it.

When you are ready to spend money, the most important investment I ever made into digital art was in getting a pressure-sensitive drawing tablet. It's made drawing in ANY program, free or paid, dramatically easier.
Ilmarinen Moderator

I've heard FireAlpaca is a good free alternative to SAI, but I'm not sure if it's mac only. I personally use SAI and can't recommend it enough!
You might want to try Sumopaint. It's a free online Photoshop-like program. It functions very similarly but has a few different features and lacks others that the original Photoshop has.
I can vouch for FireAlpaca. I have really enjoyed it so far! And it is free!

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Art Programs?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus