Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Games on the Horizon

There seems to be a fair amount of gamers on RPR, and I find seeing other people's preferences interesting, so I thought I'd toss up this topic. What up and coming games are you keeping an eye on? Normally I don't even look for coming games since I can't afford ones that have been out for years, but I have stumbled across a couple that caught my attention.

First up, XCOM: Enemy Unknown. I have a weakness for tactical games, I admit, but this one seems pretty interesting. Never had the chance to play the old XCOM games, mainly because I could never get them to run, but it sounds like they're staying fairly true to the original series. Turn-based gameplay, soldiers that stay dead if they go down, randomly generated setups, sheer alien invader chaos... seems like a potential blast to me.

Next is another tactics game preying on my weaknesses, this one basically being Nobunaga's Ambition meets, of all things, Pokemon. No, I'm not kidding. Pokemon Conquest made me absolutely giddy with excitement when I first found out about it. (Yeah, I'm weird like that.) Though reading up on it in detail made me a little skeptical. While you get six Pokemon to use at a time as usual, though all in battle at once, apparently each Pokemon only gets one move to use in combat. That just seemed strange. Plus they left Pokemon that are rather popular out of the roster, Vulpix/Ninetales for example, while having more... questionable ones included. You can find a list of the ones that made the cut (as well as other info) here.

Lastly is one still early in development, a zombie survival game called The Dead Linger. This one... I'm both skeptical and hopeful about. Randomly-generated, highly interactive worlds sounds good on paper, but actually getting it done well is another thing entirely. Supposedly going to have solo, co-op and PVP modes, but solid details are rather lacking at the moment. Also seems like a pretty ambitious project for only their second game, but that could easily be a good or bad thing in the end. Something I'll be watching the progress on, at least.

Well, that's all I've got for the moment. How about the rest of you?
Minerva

i work in game retail so i love this kinda talk. I cant link while mobile, but. Pokemon conquest is definitely a yes. Persona 4 arena. I can not stress this enough. Persona 4: the golden, and the hidden atlus title announced for the wii-u. Max is stoked about max payne 3. Xenoblade chronicles just came out and i wish i could play it. And by god squaresoft needs to do a 3ds finalfantasy 6. I demand this. :(
Minerva

oh also resident evil 6. I'm also interested in dragon's dogma and the enhanced witcher 2. Diablo 3 looks promising and is finally coming to console.
Is anyone else leery about POkemon Black/White 2?

I find this... disturbing
Minerva

i haven't heard any official news of that, drayle. got a link?
Minerva

neeevermind, google mobile served well. I see no particular reason to be worried.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Rosewood wrote:
First up, XCOM: Enemy Unknown. I have a weakness for tactical games, I admit, but this one seems pretty interesting. Never had the chance to play the old XCOM games, mainly because I could never get them to run, but it sounds like they're staying fairly true to the original series. Turn-based gameplay, soldiers that stay dead if they go down, randomly generated setups, sheer alien invader chaos... seems like a potential blast to me.

Yes! :D

The original games (especially the first two) were a big part of my childhood. My friends and I would play them obsessively, sharing our war stories and tactics in school. I'm rather looking forward to this remake, it does look like they are being faithful to the first game of the series and that's a very good thing. You can get all of the old games on Steam now and the very early ones use Dosbox to run on modern systems.

The only other upcoming games to have my attention are Aliens: Colonial Marines and the expansion pack for Sins of a Solar Empire.
Minerva

oh, aliens! Yes, that looks good. Dark, primallu stimulating, claustrophobic environments to raise the hairs on the back of your neck. Don't forget The Last Of Us. Looks good.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Games on the Horizon

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus