Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Underdark and Down (Closed)

Master of Games (played anonymously) Topic Starter

The Drow enter and kill their prisoners, "peace out bros."
Terrin (played by HOWDARE)

Dictating what a character feels (being in closed spaces makes you want to smash), followed by thraat considering cannibalism (which thraat wouldn't do, as booperdooper told me) seems to me like you ARE telling thraat what to feel. This sentiment is shared by her player, who told us as much but didn't want to come into conflict with you.

Plus, being trapped in cells with no ostensible way to get out does not make for a fun session. It makes for a bland, restrictive one. What do we do? We simply have to wait until your NPCs come along and let us go. This is a puzzle with no answer other than "the GM will solve it."

While I respect you for trying to run a session like this, I think you went about it the wrong way and are confused on what it means to be a Dungeon master. Being a dungeon master is to be in absolute control of the game, but you are spinning a story for the player's and your own amusement. Being able to smell a human, and smelling a human and thinking "boy i might just eat this guy" are two very different things. The former, an objective fact, is what a DM should say. The latter is something that a character and their player may think. Mentioning that would be akin to stating "This woman is very attractive," vs "You find that woman very attractive." It is making assumptions about a character that very well may be outright wrong.

You assume things about our characters without regard to their personality or backstory as was obviously stated.

I really, really wanted this to work. I was going to talk to you and give you constructive criticism on how to GM, but I don't think you're willing to listen. As soon as someone asked you not to tell characters what to think you immediately got upset despite purple being polite, if a bit curt, with you. Part of being a GM is to listen to the players and addressing any issues that may arise instead of simply saying "no, you're wrong, i didn't do that." If a player FEELS that way, then you should make an effort to compromise about it.

I'm sorry this didn't work. I agree that it was a waste of time. It was a waste of time because of your ego.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Underdark and Down (Closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus