Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Puppy Size

I'd like to tell you a story.

There once was a family, a young couple and a little girl. The little girl had asked and asked for a dog for a long time, and finally her mother and father relented and decided to get her one.
Now, being of the conscientious sort, they decided to adopt a dog from a shelter, rather than buy one from a breeder. They took the little girl from shelter to shelter, pound to pound, looking at every dog. But their little girl didn't find one she like, saying that it was the wrong size.
They looked at great danes, they looked at chihuahuas. At labradors and dachshunds, terriers and beagles. The mother and father were getting quite frustrated, until the girl finally found a dog, a strange little mutt that no one knew which breed he was, only giving him one hug before the little girl said that he was the one, that he had the right puppy size.
"We must have looked at dozens just as big as him, baby." The father said, confounded. "What did it matter what size he was?"
"Not SIZE, Daddy!" The little girl exclaimed, holding tight to her new best friend. "SIGHS! When you love someone with all of your heart and know that they're perfect, you sigh a little, like you and Mommy do when you hug each other. And he has the perfect puppy sighs."

I share this with you, because I just took a short drive. As I was on my way out the door, on a lark I looked at my dog, Oscar, and asked him if he wanted to go for a ride. Now the poor boy is about as dumb as can be, but I can talk to him the same as I talk to you and he listens. I let him out of his kennel, and he runs, all on his own, up the stairs and to the front door, then from there to the passenger door of my truck. Then, for the entire drive into town (he was in the Captain's lap on the trip back) he spent his time looking at me with the expression of utmost adoration. He could have been sniffing and chewing, looking out the window. But he didn't, he wanted to be with me.

I love you, Oscar, and I would be lost without you.
Aww, that's an adorable story! My dog knows the word for "ride" but she's obnoxious to other dogs so we don't take her out much. She's also 12 years old and ornery.

I love mutts. We're actually waiting on lab results to see just /what/ kind of dog ours is. We know the mother is a golden retriever but all the puppies were black. They claimed the father was a black lab--but we have our suspicions it was a rottweiler. We'll know for sure in about two weeks or three weeks if not sooner.
Haha, I had read this story for the first time right before I went to pick out my very first puppy. I was having a hard time choosing, and my friend had been holding one of the puppies while I looked at the rest. She wasn't interested in getting a dog, so she just handed the puppy to me and she flopped and sighed in my arms...I ended up taking her home XD

This is her the day after I got her!
Kim Site Admin

This thread is SO cute.

My dog sighs big and deep when you rub her ears, and she leans her head against your lap. Ooooh it's the nicest feeling in the world!
Minerva

@ Loki: that looks like Muffin!!! :D
Awwwww.

That is a lovely story! And Oscar is an awesome name for a dog. :3
JayBird Topic Starter

Thank you all. And Oscar is a good name, even if it was the one he came with. And he's a dachshund, too. A big one, about 30-35 pounds or so. more like a bratwurst than a wiener dog
My dog makes long strings of grunty/squeaky noises rather than sighs, but I always know he's happy when he does so!

It sounds a lot like "Hhhnnn-nnnn-hnnnnnnn-nnnn" I guess. LOL It's amusing.
Jetticus

Awesome story... It was well written... I almost-*chugs a beer* YEAH! I'M A MAN!
@ Minerva: That is Muffin! XD She's my first dog :)

Jetticus you just made me laugh XD
Jetticus

I do what I can, *bows* YEAH BEER!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Puppy Size

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus