Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » West-Side Wizardry

Cody sighed. He really didn't want to make trouble for the town. "Alright, fine. You can cast spells at me all you want." His glance flickered to the Legion. "You stay out of it."

Whatever the technobabble was, he just wanted answers at this point. And maybe there would be a way to repel everything and go back to leading a normal life. Whatever 'normal' was.

His mind made up, his eyes became clear and direct and he sat up straighter. "Right, so where are we planning on doing this?"
Isabelle Jones (played by Frangod) Topic Starter

“Back at the cottage. It’s got all the necessary supplies. Y’know, some things on the material plane resonate with the other planes, makes magic easier. Follow me out back, unless you want to ride your motorcycle. It isn’t far, and we’ll be back here fairly soon, anyway.” Izzy stood up, brushing down the front of her skirt and smiled. If Cody was an observant man, he’d notice that she had very white, very straight teeth.
Cody did notice her very white teeth, but didn't think much about it. He was more concerned about leaving his motorcycle behind. But, surely he wouldn't need it.

He drained his mug and then stood up to follow Izzy out back. If he seemed alert, it was only because he wasn't quite sure what to expect. He did take off his jacket though and gave it a solid flap or two to shake off whatever moisture remained to it; before pulling it back on.

"Planes? You mean, you can't see the Legion?" He half turned to glance behind him, knowing already that the Legion was following.

((Get ready for one of my famous wall o' text posts. Sorry about that, I just find myself really really liking this setting and I get a bit wordy when I'm enthusiastic.))

Leading Cody out of the Blue Moon Café through the kitchen, Izzy paused to peck Leah on the cheek before continuing. It had stopped raining for a change, she noticed as they walked outside. As they walked, she spoke, “Generally, no. Though I can see…Legion…when the occaision demands. Most humans can’t see the other planes, but wizards have spells which can enable us to see them; most of them, anyway. There are seventy eight. Leah can see onto the second and third planes naturally, but your friend there is only visible on the eighth plane up. That denotes a spirit of greater power, generally.” She stopped outside her faded blue Saab and got in on the driver’s side. Once inside, she kicked at the passenger’s side door twice with a slippered foot, then jiggled the handle a bit before the door reluctantly groaned open. “Hop in!” She said brightly.

The drive wasn’t a long one, but it offered a nice cross-section of the town of Talent. It was more active now, it being about nine-thirty or so in the morning. Small stores dominated the quaint downtown with flowerboxes full of drooping blooms on the corners of the streets. Morning joggers and walkers were out, taking advantage of the brief respite from the rain. The downtown tapered away and they passed a stripmall with an ancient Wal-Mart dominating the space. Most of the other shops appeared deserted or closed, but there was an adult bookstore with garishly colored purple awnings on prominent display. Soon, though, they were out of Talent proper and into the countryside.

It was hilly and the road curved and meandered around the gentle swells, occiaisionally giving glimpses of woods a mile or so distant. A couple of farms dotted the landscape and they only passed one other car, a black Ford Mustang which roared past them, radio blaring and windows rolled down. Eventually, Izzy pulled off the main road and onto a muddy driveway which curved off into the trees. Her tires squelched and threw up great puddles of dirty water everywhere as the old Saab bounced and jounced along the lane. The dirt road curved in an aimless way through light woods, weak sunlight causing small, unexpected rainbows to appear in faintly sunny clearings. Honysuckle vines seemed to dominate the plant life along the side of the road, their sweet, cloying scent strong enough to be apparent, even through the closed windows of the little car.

Before too long, Izzy stopped the car on the side of the road, saying, “Hang on. Your Legion friend is fairly powerful entity. I’ll need to open the wards to make allowances for it. Won’t be five minutes.” She reached into the back seat of the car and retrieved a rainbow patterned woven handbag, then opened her front door, stepped out of the car, and crouched down in the road, using her finger to draw a circle in the mud that enclosed her. Then she stood up and fished around in her bag for a small silver knife. She pricked her finger and sang a short couple of verses in lilting Gaelic, then flicked her bloody finger at the four compass points. Finally, she smudged out the outline of the circle with one foot, said a long verse in a growling tounge that sounded not unlike Klingon and got back in the car.

The rest of the drive took only another minute or two. Izzy’s cottage appeared in a clearing in the woods as if by magic. It was a small cottage painted a faded shade of green with white trim. Flowers and plants grew along the path to the house and right up to the walls on either side. There was a small porch with a few weathered wooden chairs. Leah turned to Cody again and said, “Welcome to your new home! For a while anyway. Lets get you inside and situated. You just have to give the door a little tough love… that’s it, now jiggle the handle… No, you’ve really gotta give it some muscle! There! Come on!” She led the way onto the path and into the cottage.

1.jpg
This is Izzy and Leah's cottage.
(ooc: You are nothing short of amazing. And that wall of text was beautiful! xD)

Anxious at first when the jammed car door reluctantly opened to admit him, Cody slowly relaxed as they drove through the town and then entered the countryside. He grinned when he saw the cottage pull into view. Automatically, he scanned the windows for signs of movement; it was a habit like searching for his Legion had become.

He opened the front door with effort. "I gotta say, I'm impressed. It would make any of my--er, friends--feel at home."

The Legion nodded as well, and vanished to have a look around, checking for incorporeal threats. Cody kept an eye on Izzy, while trying to get a feel for his surroundings. "You mentioned wards... Do you have a lot of them around here? And are they that powerful to keep out the Legion?" If that was all he needed, he might be persuaded.

Walking up the porch, keys in hand, Izzy made a few complex hand gestures before she put the key in the lock. “Our house is pretty strongly warded. The wards won’t stop a determined spiritual assault, but they’re strong enough to keep denizens of up to the eleventh plane out. That being said, Legion—and probably anything trying to get at you—would have no trouble with the wards if they really wanted to get past them. However, we’re not without our defenses! Leah once took on a Wendigo—an ancient native American spirit with a propensity for human flesh—and blasted it to ectoplasm on the Astral Plane! That’s real chops, Cody! She had no physical body… she was like a warrior goddess!” Izzy’s eyes sparkle with remembered excitement, then she shook her head and turned the key in the lock, “C’mon in!”

The door opened into a small mudroom where a few rain slickers were hung on pegs. There was a doormat with the word, Welcom! Printed on it (spelling mistake included) and scuffed to near-illegibility. Izzy kicked off her slippers and walked barefoot over the dark slats of the hardwood floors into a small living room. It was longer than it was wide and it opened to a kitchen. The walls were painted a dark mauve with white trim on the ceilings and a white chair-rail running along the middle of the wall. There were two smallish couches which pointed to a little flatscreen television hanging over the mantel of a fireplace. The plug to the TV was floating in a yellowed jar that swam with tiny fish.

The décor was artsy nature. There were watercolors of landscapes and small statuettes on every available surface. The small coffee table was covered in books, empty glasses, loose papers, and a wine bottle or two. There was a short hallway that led to two bedrooms and a single bathroom with a standup shower. The general state of the house was one of scholarly disrepute. Books and papers crowded shelves and were stacked on chairs. There was a strong scent of some unidentifiable, sweet incense hanging in the air, along with undertones of tea, wine, and something flowery.

Izzy led Cody to the second bedroom which was furnished with a hide-a-bed couch of a nausea-inducing yellow color, but that, she assured, was “Too comfortable to leave in the living room, Leah and I just kept falling asleep on it as soon as we sat down!” The room was painted a very pale shade of blue, like a robin’s egg that had been left to bleach in the sun and there were sprigs of sage brush hanging on the walls. Two rickety white nightstands and a smallish dresser filled with old, ratty womens’ clothes completed the décor. “There’s only the one bathroom, so your best bet to get hot water is to either sleep later than Leah—doubtful, get up earlier than me—again, don’t get your hopes up! Or take your showers at night. We’re pretty close to the lake, well, it’s a pond, really, but that’s what we call it, the Lake, so if one of us isn’t here or at the shop, we’re probably down there either taking a walk, swimming, or meditating.”

Izzy led Cody to the kitchen, which, unlike the rest of the house, was spotlessly clean. “It comes of owning a restaurant. Can’t let it get dirty or Leah will make those demons you’re running from look like the Queen’s tea guests!” The ancient, 1950’s fridge groaned and clunked in the corner and was filled with various alcoholic beverages, vegetables, and some leftover takeout. “I’ve gotta go to the grocery store later… You’re welcome to come if you’ve got any particular tastes… So, d’you want a beer? I know it’s a bit early, but you rough-types always seem to want one if they’re available.”
Cody followed obediently behind Izzy, feeling the slightest tingle from the wards as she waved her hands before unlocking the door and leading him into the house.

"If it's all the same to you, I'd rather not encounter a wendigo," he said suppressing a shudder at the mere thought of blasting something into ectoplasm. It brought up uncomfortable memories for him of fighting while possessed.

The house smelled different than any place he had been in before; for instance it lacked the smell of must and dust or dampness that was usually par for abandoned buildings. And the furnishings were nice.

When they entered the bedroom he murmured, "It's even got a mattress, so it's bound to be more comfortable than a cot." He hadn't realized the squalor he'd been living in until now.

The kitchen of course gave him food for thought and the offer of a beer sent him back a step. "Ah, no thanks. No beer. I'm a bit of a, er, lightweight, I suppose you could say. Besides, I think the coffee did well enough." He looked around once more and then shrugged, ignoring the Legion as it reappeared in the kitchen. It's unruffled appearance meant it hadn't located a threat. Or had already taken care of it. Cody didn't care to think about which it might be.

"You've got a really nice place here," he said. "No wonder you stayed for six years."

“Well, thanks, Cody! Most people think it’s a bit of a dump, but it’s my little slice of heaven. It’s far enough away from town to avoid most of the prankster kids who like to throw rocks through windows and whatnot, but close enough for us to pop down to Wal-Mart and grab a gallon of milk,” she screws up her face in disgust at this, “not that we ever do. I’ll have to show you the barn…

At Cody’s comment about being a lightweight, she looks a little worried and pushes her glasses up unnecessarily, “Well, that means we’re definitely going to have to go shopping. The water here comes out either lukewarm or boiling hot. There’s not much in between… Plus, I’ve been slacking on shopping. Mostly, we drink tea here, but I can grab whatever you like from the store.” She waves her hand in the air, literally batting away her words, “Goddess, but I’m rambling on about food and you’re in need… Come on, I’ve gotta take you out back to the Office. It’s where we do our practical wizardries.”

She leads Cody through the kitchen and out the back door. There’s a narrow dirt path that winds through dense plants and flowers until it suddenly opens up to about a five or six-acre field of high grass. About five hundred feet away there is a small outbuilding painted in chipped and peeling white paint and a large red barn. The white building is the one Izzy called the Office. It’s made of cinderblocks with a reinforced roof and heavy iron doors. Painted in intricate and spidery lines around the door are a variety of scripts and runes. Izzy mutters a few words, pricks her finger again with the silver knife, and smears a spot of blood at the top, sides, and bottom of the door. A low hum in the air grows stronger until it’s deep and powerful enough to rattle the bones, then suddenly cuts off and the door swings open silently.

The interior of the Office is spartan and utilitarian. About twenty feet by thirty on a bare, smooth concrete floor like you’d find in a garage, shelves and workbenches line the walls, leaving the floor almost empty, save for some colorful cushions in one corner. The shelves are full of bottles, containers and drawers, all carefully labelled. Things like larks’ toungues, 9-volt batteries, an alternator from a 1974 Volkswagen Beetle, and carrion beetle wings are written on the labels and a distinctly exotic, slightly metallic, slightly dry smell permeates the room. Hanging from the ceiling are long flourescent light fixtures which bathe the room in a cold, businesslike light. The workbenches are covered in a variety of incenses, art supplies, and various bones, lengths of wood ranging from driftwood to intricately carved scepters, and a very sleek, very advanced looking computer system with four monitors arranged around it. The screensaver shows a pentacle floating on a black background.

Izzy motions Cody to enter and begins rummaging through the organized chaos.
Ochita (played by FallenAngel123)

Ochita was just walking around some town she had stumbled on in her years of being a fallen angel. She still needed to have someone who she could use as some way to feel, but she knew it was a hopeless unless she did it by force; which she would given the chance. She walked around aimlessly, then she stopped when she saw a small cottage and got a strange feeling from it; as if the person she needed was in there. She knew most humans saw fallen angels as heartless demons, or something around those lines. She grinned. "Well, I might as well trust my senses; at least the ones that work right, anyways." She walked up to the cottage but she leaned against the wall next to the door. She decided it best to suprise her prey before they could know what was going.
The sheer amount of stuff, labeled and otherwise, in the so-called "Office", brought Cody to a halt in surprise. "Uh..." he was starting to have second thoughts about letting himself be the target for spell castings.

"How long is this going to take? And is it going to hurt?" He wished they were back at the house. The computer monitors were giving him the willies, the screensaver image not helping a whole lot.

The Legion took up residence in some corner of the room, not caring that three of its wings passed through two of the walls and the objects that lay cluttered on the shelves. Relaxed, the Legion was unaware that a threat was lurking not too far away.

Suddenly, Izzy stops what she’s doing and spins around, her eyes wide and surprised. “Someone’s at the house! It’s not human… If it’s friendly, it’s going to have some explaining to do. You don’t just wander into a wizard’s territory without at least a greeting! If it’s not, it’s going to have a VERY nasty surprise…” She selected a particularly knotted length of wood from a workbench and hefted it experimentally before striding towards out of the Office grimly.

Ochita smriked sensing she caused one of the people here some annoience. She got off the wall near the door, her black combat boots hitting the wall stightly. So much for suprise. At least I get to have some fun fighting. Ochita walked over where whenever the person came to see what was going on saw her. She had pale skin that made it look like she never went into the sun, dirty blonde hair that ran down her back, and bright blue eyes that seemed like they were made from the sea.
He waited until Izzy had marched off before wondering if he should accompany her. But given his lack of ability to do much more than shoot a threat (which he figured she would not take kindly to), or get in the way, he opted to stay behind.

He went over to the computer console instead and jiggled the mouse to see what was on the computer. A few clicks here, a few clicks there--so long as he didn't actually delete or type anything, she'd never know...

The Legion watched him warily. "You realize she may not appreciate you prying into her computer."

"Yes, well, I just want to make sure I'm not getting into something I'll regret later," Cody replied.

((For Ochita))

Izzy marched the five hundred feet up to the cottage, fear and anger forming a potent and volatile mix of emotions. She locked it all behind a mask of calm; above all, she would not show the intruder any fear! As she made the last turn and saw the pale blonde girl staring at her, she stopped, staring back, a little nonplussed. She cleared her throat and said in a clear, loud voice, “Blessed be on the path, stranger! Can I help you?” She held the length of wood loosely, not an obvious threat, but ready to wield at a moment’s notice.

((For Cody))

The screensaver disappeared and the monitors cleared, showing the normal Windows 7 login screen. “User Account Oberon is Locked. Please enter the password to resume.” In the blank password field, the cursor blinked.

Ochita frown seeing that the woman that came was not the person she sensed. "Yes, I sensed that there was someone around here that could be of help to me, if could please bring them here to let me met them." She spoke in a calm tone so to not show what she was truly thinking. She watched the womans actions carefully in case the woman tried to attack.
Cody scowled at the password. He began typing what he could think of as passwords. Recalling some of what Izzy had said or told him, he used what he figured would be her key phrases. Maybe if he was lucky, he'd find a way in. If he wasn't, well...he obviously wasn't as good a hacker as he gave himself credit for.

"You could keep a lookout, you know," Cody said to the Legion. "You know, in case she comes back?"

The Legion flared its wings. "I am here to protect you from spiritual threats, not mortal embarrassment."

"Some help you are." MUttered Cody under his breath as he hacked into the computer.

((For Ochita))

“Well,” said Izzy, mollified somewhat by the strange woman’s response, “if it’s help you need, it’s help I may be able to provide. However, I’m currently helping someone else right now. Would you like a cup of tea or a glass of wine while you wait for me to finish my previous engagement?”

((For Cody))

The passwords you guess don’t seem to be able to provide you any access. Apparently, the person who set up this system was a fairly competent with at least the minimal security requirements. It doesn’t really surprise you, though, the hardware looks fairly serious and definitely very high-end. It’s a mystery to you why two such nature-loving-hippy-chicks would need or use such bleeding edge technology. You don’t hear any explosions or anything from the cottage, so it might be a good idea to leave the computer alone in case Izzy comes back…

Ochita nodded. "Yes, ma'am I shall be back later. What time do you believe you well be finished with the help you have now?" Ochita might be an ass sometimes but when it came to other people that she didn't know but if it was someone she thought might be of use she well be her normal self. She pulled a card out of her pocket and handed it to the wizard lady. "Here, if you seem to need my help with something or finish earlier than you thought with what you are doing now call this number." The card was Ochita's business card, assian. If someone helped her, then Ochita would return the favor no matter what it was that she would need to do.
Cody gave up hacking into the computer. "Forget it; I'm gonna go see what's taking Izzy so long." Hopefully by the time they got back the screensaver would be up again.

He headed back to the cottage, wondering if the stick Izzy had left with had seen any use. Although he couldn't imagine anyone trying to break into a place way out here.

"Izzy? You okay?" he called as he entered the back door of the house.

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » West-Side Wizardry

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus